996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mine is Official Too - FS 2004 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear something positive about Barrier Porsche. My friend, fellow dentist. Went in, told them he wanted to buy a cab, guy wouldn't give him the time of day, wouldn't unlock a car to see the interior. They made him sign an info card, he did not list his occupation. He gets pissed at the 30 something salesman for his horrible customer service, leaves.... next day, they call him "Hi Dr. " They googled his name, found out he was a dentist, and tried to get him back in. Short story long, he did end up buying a new 997 cab there, because he had a patient who was affiliated with Barrier and they smoothed things out. At 12k miles, clutch goes. They wouldn't give him any break on it. This is a guy who paid cash for the first car, and let them know he wanted a turbo. On principal, he went up the chain at porsche and got some compensation for the clutch job. He says it drives completely different, something wrong with first clutch, wasn't him screwing it up. He did order the turbo from them....

I'm scared to go there in fear that I'm gonna get treated that way because I don't show up in a suit and I look young. Dealerships stink, plain and simple. Don't care what kind of car they sell. I had a land rover D90 and a RR, same treatment at the dealerships there.

Greta is correct in the that things are priced too high here in seattle. It's only $1200 to transport a car from Atlanta to Seattle, I'm not gonna let proximity be a factor in determining where I buy the car.

Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I'm scared to go there in fear that I'm gonna get treated that way because I don't show up in a suit and I look young. Dealerships stink, plain and simple.
Mike
What an odd experience. barrier treats him like **** yet he still gives them business 2x over (cab, turbo).

young and in a suit to get attn when an older gent likely has the real cash.

no one wears a suit in tech casual seattle.

just an odd scenario u put up there. i had no trouble getting a test drive on that 997 turbo and i dressed like a punk **** rapper wannabe bellevue 20-something. LOL

sorry to hear man and you are good to go with your strategy. i'll look at the west coast all over for the right car (and i did - SF and drove it up what a marvelous experience).
Old 02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Good to hear something positive about Barrier Porsche. My friend, fellow dentist. Went in, told them he wanted to buy a cab, guy wouldn't give him the time of day, wouldn't unlock a car to see the interior. They made him sign an info card, he did not list his occupation. He gets pissed at the 30 something salesman for his horrible customer service, leaves.... next day, they call him "Hi Dr. " They googled his name, found out he was a dentist, and tried to get him back in. Short story long, he did end up buying a new 997 cab there, because he had a patient who was affiliated with Barrier and they smoothed things out. At 12k miles, clutch goes. They wouldn't give him any break on it. This is a guy who paid cash for the first car, and let them know he wanted a turbo. On principal, he went up the chain at porsche and got some compensation for the clutch job. He says it drives completely different, something wrong with first clutch, wasn't him screwing it up. He did order the turbo from them....

I'm scared to go there in fear that I'm gonna get treated that way because I don't show up in a suit and I look young. Dealerships stink, plain and simple. Don't care what kind of car they sell. I had a land rover D90 and a RR, same treatment at the dealerships there.

Greta is correct in the that things are priced too high here in seattle. It's only $1200 to transport a car from Atlanta to Seattle, I'm not gonna let proximity be a factor in determining where I buy the car.

Mike
Mike, first of all I am so sorry you had a poor experience at Barrier. I know everyone there really well and they are all great guys. I think they get quite a few people in there who just come to drive a Porsche and are not serious buyers but that is no excuse. Quite the opposite of the hard sell or swarm of salespeople at some dealerships - I hate that too.

Thanks for telling these guys that our prices are high here! I knew sooner or later someone from the NW would verify what I have been trying to say.

Let us all know when you get your turbo. We have a group of northwesterners on 6speedonline.com and we will be doing some turbo get togethers this spring and summer. There is also Cars & Coffee tours for all makes of cars on the weekends. Look forward to meeting you Doc.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Its a beautiful car. GL with the sale and post pics of your new TT when available...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
Great to hear about the clover. I hope it makes it to NYC!

Roast actually has nothing to do with how "mild" the coffee is. That should do with the flavor profile of the bean...say Costa Rican Dota versus Ethopian Harar. Roasting just masks the bean flavor by adding that over carmelized, burnt taste to any bean - the way using new toasted oak barrels masks the flavor profile of wine. A properly roasted (city +) Yirgacheffe is very bright and flavorful. Those flavors go away as the coffee is over roasted.

Anyway...honestly best of luck with your car. I would love to trade up on mine but just hate the idea of the beating I would take on value...maybe a few more years.
Well yes and no. You are talking to an official "Coffee Master" here! You are correct in that every variant of coffee bean carries its own distinctive taste. For example, our Latin American beans have great balance, medium bodied, and have a clean finish. An African/Arabian bean will be more floral aroma, citrus or exoctic flavors. Asia Pacific bean produce a full bodied coffee with herbal undertones. THEN, we have our dark roast blends. These are typically carmally-sweey and smokey (Italian blend, French or Espresso) and produce a potent, bold cup of coffee. As you know, Starbucks also has a big line of multi-region blends. The ROASTING process, which is different for each bean and blend (we have specific number of minutes for each) is to bring our the flavor of that bean to its perfect potential. A milder coffee is due to the variety of the bean and the roasting process (which is number of minutes) to produce that mild cup of coffee. What is your favorite coffee? If you are ever in Seattle, perhaps I can take you on a tour of our TOP SECRET roasting plant. It is quite the experience to go see our process - as precisioned as watching a Porsche get built (OK, no, not really). Hope to see you at a Cars & Coffee tour someday.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Well yes and no. You are talking to an official "Coffee Master" here! You are correct in that every variant of coffee bean carries its own distinctive taste. For example, our Latin American beans have great balance, medium bodied, and have a clean finish. An African/Arabian bean will be more floral aroma, citrus or exoctic flavors. Asia Pacific bean produce a full bodied coffee with herbal undertones. THEN, we have our dark roast blends. These are typically carmally-sweey and smokey (Italian blend, French or Espresso) and produce a potent, bold cup of coffee. As you know, Starbucks also has a big line of multi-region blends. The ROASTING process, which is different for each bean and blend (we have specific number of minutes for each) is to bring our the flavor of that bean to its perfect potential. A milder coffee is due to the variety of the bean and the roasting process (which is number of minutes) to produce that mild cup of coffee. What is your favorite coffee? If you are ever in Seattle, perhaps I can take you on a tour of our TOP SECRET roasting plant. It is quite the experience to go see our process - as precisioned as watching a Porsche get built (OK, no, not really). Hope to see you at a Cars & Coffee tour someday.
ms. greta could i take u up on that tour?

cuz at this point, i don't know how you can be a credible coffee person if you're trying to sell us on the taste and quality of sbux coffee. it's like say mcdonald's sells good burgers. they don't and sbux does not sell good coffee for us coffee snobs.

u know what i'm saying?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta disagree on this one Ben. I am a bit of a coffee snob, and I thinkSbux is pretty dang good for some things. Not so much at others. McDonalds sucks at everything including that new ad with that little kid with the big *** boom box. I want to break something expensive every time I see that.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I gotta disagree on this one Ben. I am a bit of a coffee snob, and I thinkSbux is pretty dang good for some things. Not so much at others. McDonalds sucks at everything including that new ad with that little kid with the big *** boom box. I want to break something expensive every time I see that.
i don't watch much tv so haven't seen that comm.

we'll just have to agree to disagree. the only thing i like about it and this may well give credit to ms. greta... is how convenient it is to find since there are so many of them and the decor is clean and spacious. their coffee is high volume, low quality.

ms. greta, i actually used to work at the sbux at uvill for about 2 weeks.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
ms. greta could i take u up on that tour?

cuz at this point, i don't know how you can be a credible coffee person if you're trying to sell us on the taste and quality of sbux coffee. it's like say mcdonald's sells good burgers. they don't and sbux does not sell good coffee for us coffee snobs.

u know what i'm saying?
Ben you crack me up - and I have come to learn your style and appreciate your unique opinions. Perhaps you can appreciate that I am very loyal to those who are loyal and good to me - including my employer, those who work for me, Barrier, and so on. I think you will also be seeing some very positive changes in Starbucks over the next year now that Howard is back in charge.

Quick Reply: Mine is Official Too - FS 2004 C4S