996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mine is Official Too - FS 2004 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ms Greta: My apologies in all sincerity. You shouldn't be made to feel that you need some folks to step up and support you. There is no effort here to create any sort of spectre of an adversarial environment or to make you think that you need to in any way defend your corporate status or real estate background. The intent here was simply to point out what some of us felt was a bit of an excess. I did not do any sort of geographical comparison of the going prices of your used car market...and in truth, I think enough has been said. I'm sorry if you felt as though we were ganging up on you, and I'm a sucker for a good cup of coffee . I look forward to seeing you on the TT boards hopefully sometime in April after your car has been sold.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
When we became empty nesters a few years back and then my entire family passed away, I decided it was time to do something for myself, so the judgements are not necessary when you are unaware of any of the circumstance or do not know those you are judging. Life is short - enjoy it.
I am so sorry to hear that! What a terrible tragedy!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ms Greta,
+1 re:..."judgements not necessary..." and I too, am very sorry to learn of your loss. Your post put "car pricing" into perspective. In the big scheme of things who thinks he/she paid exactly what they should have paid or sold something for exactly what it should have sold for? I bet with the prior years in real estate you have plenty of stories regarding this.
Basic rule of negotiating... Start high and imply flexibility.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

mercy triumphs over judgment

ms greta, here's coffee that i like and yes you and i traded emails before so i know you're an sbux gal (some cute chicks work there)

www.stumptowncoffee.com

i'm a bit of a coffee snob just as i am with car wheels
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Houston and with the oil industry our market is not depressed at all. That said literally you can get a 997 C4s Cab with low miles in the low 70's. 996 C4S are in the 50's. Maybe we have more supply here too, but our local economy is by no means depressed. Again I really hope you get what you want out of this car. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the nice feedback. What can I say, I am emotionally attached to my car so I have been acting defensive, and no, I am not getting any discount on my new 997TT. I was fortunate enough to get one of the eight build slots for a 2008 coupe from my dealership and the price is not so important as the enjoyment I will get from the car. I spoke to my buddy Jason (atomic80), and he agreed with all of you that the dealership has priced my car too high. So I eat the crow. Give me your orders - your favorite Sbux beverage will be on me when we meet someday! (I'll be in Birmingham at the Porsche Driving Experience in May - can't wait!) I don't plan to track my TT - no insurance coverage in Washington and getting too risky at this price of car. So, will do other venues to take care of my need for speed. :-)
Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

greta, i know u love barrier but if they gave you any indication that you should be "fortunate" to get a spot for a turbo... well they're making u feel VIP when anyone who wants to pay can get a turbo slot. seriously don't give them more credit than they deserve. they're a business just like sbux where profit/revenue rules. and mr. barrier is enjoying his yacht someplace sunny in the world. thx to you and I and others giving him our business.

the tougher biscottis are the gt2/gt3s. the turbos are easy to order. but even then you can get any 911 u want easily just bring cash. the really challenging ones are the new ferraris. 1-2 year wait for anything pretty much.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
mercy triumphs over judgment

ms greta, here's coffee that i like and yes you and i traded emails before so i know you're an sbux gal (some cute chicks work there)

www.stumptowncoffee.com

i'm a bit of a coffee snob just as i am with car wheels
Me too on the coffee. I don't drink Starbucks- waaayyyy too over roasted. I roast my own coffee. If you are ever interested in trying it (the difference is amazing) check this out: www.sweetmarias.com Starbucks roasts the life out of their coffee - could really be almost any bean. Yuck.

Btw, I see Stumptown uses a Clover! Awesome. The clover is basically a fully automatic french press that allows for customization at the grind, dose, temp and extraction levels. Amazing. Have you tried it?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
Me too on the coffee. I don't drink Starbucks- waaayyyy too over roasted. I roast my own coffee. If you are ever interested in trying it (the difference is amazing) check this out: www.sweetmarias.com Starbucks roasts the life out of their coffee - could really be almost any bean. Yuck.

Btw, I see Stumptown uses a Clover! Awesome. The clover is basically a fully automatic french press that allows for customization at the grind, dose, temp and extraction levels. Amazing. Have you tried it?
That is very interesting. Starbucks is actually testing the Clover in some of our Seattle stores right now. French Press coffee is for sure the best way to have your coffee made - do that at home myself. If you don't like the dark roast, try our Breakfast blend - that is much milder and you may enjoy it more. I'll check out Sweet Marias someday.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
greta, i know u love barrier but if they gave you any indication that you should be "fortunate" to get a spot for a turbo... well they're making u feel VIP when anyone who wants to pay can get a turbo slot. seriously don't give them more credit than they deserve. they're a business just like sbux where profit/revenue rules. and mr. barrier is enjoying his yacht someplace sunny in the world. thx to you and I and others giving him our business.

the tougher biscottis are the gt2/gt3s. the turbos are easy to order. but even then you can get any 911 u want easily just bring cash. the really challenging ones are the new ferraris. 1-2 year wait for anything pretty much.
Well I passed on everyones comments to Barrier today and they reduced the price of my car to $63k which I know everyone will still say is too high, so save the comments, ok! They said nothing is moving right now with our terrible weather the past few weeks. Ben, there is something more about Barrier and the reason why I am very loyal to them - but it would not be appropriate to post. Someday when I meet you I will tell you more. Don't let your imagination wander - nothing like that! Bottom line is still that I cannot wait until I get my new 997TT!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

That is very interesting. Starbucks is actually testing the Clover in some of our Seattle stores right now. French Press coffee is for sure the best way to have your coffee made - do that at home myself. If you don't like the dark roast, try our Breakfast blend - that is much milder and you may enjoy it more. I'll check out Sweet Marias someday.
Great to hear about the clover. I hope it makes it to NYC!

Roast actually has nothing to do with how "mild" the coffee is. That should do with the flavor profile of the bean...say Costa Rican Dota versus Ethopian Harar. Roasting just masks the bean flavor by adding that over carmelized, burnt taste to any bean - the way using new toasted oak barrels masks the flavor profile of wine. A properly roasted (city +) Yirgacheffe is very bright and flavorful. Those flavors go away as the coffee is over roasted.

Anyway...honestly best of luck with your car. I would love to trade up on mine but just hate the idea of the beating I would take on value...maybe a few more years.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys for all the nice feedback. What can I say, I am emotionally attached to my car so I have been acting defensive, and no, I am not getting any discount on my new 997TT. I was fortunate enough to get one of the eight build slots for a 2008 coupe from my dealership and the price is not so important as the enjoyment I will get from the car. I spoke to my buddy Jason (atomic80), and he agreed with all of you that the dealership has priced my car too high. So I eat the crow. Give me your orders - your favorite Sbux beverage will be on me when we meet someday! (I'll be in Birmingham at the Porsche Driving Experience in May - can't wait!) I don't plan to track my TT - no insurance coverage in Washington and getting too risky at this price of car. So, will do other venues to take care of my need for speed. :-)
Greta, just so you know, the pricing thing was not about "eating crow" but rather about letting you know that some (many) of us thought it was priced unrealistically high. We are here to help each other out whenever we can.

I am sure you are going to enjoy the TT. You do need to post some pics here on the 996 Forum when you get it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sounds like i could learn a thing or two from you. i'm just a novice drinker that is begining to want to love the details of it all.

i only order doppio espressos at the quality shops like stumptown. it's fragrant and just really good. it's like chocolaty looking! down it and go.

french press... man i get a crazy buzz from a mug of that. i stick to the shots.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Well I passed on everyones comments to Barrier today and they reduced the price of my car to $63k which I know everyone will still say is too high, so save the comments, ok! They said nothing is moving right now with our terrible weather the past few weeks. Ben, there is something more about Barrier and the reason why I am very loyal to them - but it would not be appropriate to post. Someday when I meet you I will tell you more. Don't let your imagination wander - nothing like that! Bottom line is still that I cannot wait until I get my new 997TT!!!!
looking forward to running into you someday!

and yea sbux man... really cool position u have there.

greetings from miami beach,
Ben
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Great to hear about the clover. I hope it makes it to NYC!

Roast actually has nothing to do with how "mild" the coffee is. That should do with the flavor profile of the bean...say Costa Rican Dota versus Ethopian Harar. Roasting just masks the bean flavor by adding that over carmelized, burnt taste to any bean - the way using new toasted oak barrels masks the flavor profile of wine. A properly roasted (city +) Yirgacheffe is very bright and flavorful. Those flavors go away as the coffee is over roasted.

Anyway...honestly best of luck with your car. I would love to trade up on mine but just hate the idea of the beating I would take on value...maybe a few more years.

What he said. A nice analogy I like is: think of steaks. If you've got filet mignon you don't order it well done, you order it medium rare, or rarer. That's why the best beans are roasted at a medium (or Vienna) roast. If you've got some tough, grissley cut of meat, first you marinate it to give it flavor (flavored coffees) then you cook it well done (dark roast). Where do the "reject" beans end up? Flavored and Italian roast coffees...

Quick Reply: Mine is Official Too - FS 2004 C4S