Sponsored by:

Winshield Wiper Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winshield Wiper Linkage

Sometimes my wipers will stutter as they approach the home position, either in intermittant mode, or when they are just running on low speed. I exposed the linkage, and everything looks OK, put grease on the joints, but I don't know if that will help or not. Can't even find the linkage part on the web. Looks easy to replace though. Anyone know about this?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it chatter from the blades themselves? From your post it's in the mechanism. I've used Rain-X on the windshield and it's fixed chattering blades - also, when the last time you replaced the blades - putting on a set of new Bosch's may fix it.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Is it chatter from the blades themselves? From your post it's in the mechanism. I've used Rain-X on the windshield and it's fixed chattering blades - also, when the last time you replaced the blades - putting on a set of new Bosch's may fix it.
I don't think it's the blades because it is pretty severe, but I will try new blades.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the similar problems like that I have seen were either not fully engaged blade bodies (the splined connector) or worn or stripped splined connectors. If the linkage came loose it would be fairly obvious when you try to move it with your hand.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loren
Most of the similar problems like that I have seen were either not fully engaged blade bodies (the splined connector) or worn or stripped splined connectors. If the linkage came loose it would be fairly obvious when you try to move it with your hand.
The splined connectors were Ok when I took them off, I am hoping Phil is right and it was just the blades, although that would be the first time I ever saw blade chatter bad enought to distrupt movement of the entire linkage so much.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Steven B
Racer

My suspicion is that the glass has wax (incompletely wiped rain-x will do this as well) which is "catching" the blades--clean off well (as well as the blades) and they may work better.
SCB
Old 12-23-2007, 02:40 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Update bump.

The problem is electrical. It never happens when the wipers are on continuously, only when returning to the rest position to stop. Perhaps the motor?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:46 PM
kcmoore2015
1st Gear

I have this exact same problem...bought my car last Wednesday and drove it today in the rain for the first time. Wipers work fine until you turn them off...then they stutter like crazy on the way down to the off position. Brand new blades. 2001 Porsche 911 C4 Cabriolet, 50K miles.

Quick Reply: Winshield Wiper Linkage