Sponsored by:

painted center console

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painted center console

I have a 2000 C4 that I want to make some changes to the interior. I've seen pics of 996's with different color center consoles and air vents. Can these just be painted or do you have to purchase them a different color. thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 AM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcr4d
I have a 2000 C4 that I want to make some changes to the interior. I've seen pics of 996's with different color center consoles and air vents. Can these just be painted or do you have to purchase them a different color. thanks
From what I understand they are difficult to paint properly. Most of the better places will charge a core fee until you return the original parts. Suggest checking out www.bumperplugs.com. I have ordered a few things and been very happy, and they're also a site sponser!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Don. Eric @ BumperPlugs does an excellent job on painted interior parts. I have been to his place and have seen multiple examples of their products in various colors. The work is "top notch" and the customer service is excellent.

About 9 months ago I was using a clay bar on my car and I accidentally (OK, carelessly) jammed the clay bar into the edge of one bumper plug. The impact was such that the paint chipped off the plug. Totally my fault, and not a quality issue of the plug.

I called Eric and told him what happened and that I needed a plug. I went down to his shop and had the plug on his desk. We chatted a little about his products and he showed me some examples of their work. When I was getting ready to leave he gave me the replacement plug but wouldn't take any money for it. I objected, stating that it was not a defective part, it was "user error" that caused the chip and that I fully intended to pay for the plug. Well, in the end, I lost that argument and walked out with a free plug.

When you contact Eric, tell him that Tim in Concord sent you. I am certain that he won't hold that against you!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

It's so easy to use Bumper Plugs you'd be wasting your time to try it yourself! Maybe you could get it right the first time you tried it! Maybe.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Default reply

Thanks for all your replys. With all the positive comments about bumperplugs, I'd be a fool to try anybody else. thanks again
Old 11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

I vote for going to Eric as well... have been to his shop a number of times, since I live in Charlotte as well. Great products, great guy, great service.

Here some before and after shots re console in Seal Gray
Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dutchie,
What do you do to prevent the seat belt from marking up the center console? I have the same interior and have some scratches/marks on the center console caused by the seat belt (the console is grey but the marks come up black). How expensive a proposition is it to have that center console piece re-painted? Thanks for your advice. Andy T
Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Andy - One thing you could do is get some black felt that has an adhesive backing and cut some pieces to fit on the back side of the female seat belt receptacle. That should stop the scratching and not be very noticeable.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd like to just say that supple leather looks horrible - i am a big fan of the painted center console.

the stock plastic is ridiculously cheap looking - wtf was porsche thinking
Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'd like to just say that supple leather looks horrible
Well Benjamin... thanks for sharing... your avatar looks pretty horrible as well... to each its own
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by apterr
Dutchie,
What do you do to prevent the seat belt from marking up the center console? I have the same interior and have some scratches/marks on the center console caused by the seat belt (the console is grey but the marks come up black). How expensive a proposition is it to have that center console piece re-painted? Thanks for your advice. Andy T
As Tim said... some felt is what I have... no scrathes at all. take a look on www.bumperplugs.com re pricing for repaint. I would suggest to put a SSK in at the same time... believe the two items were 500-600 together. Worth every penny!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Well Benjamin... thanks for sharing... your avatar looks pretty horrible as well... to each its own
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'd like to just say that supple leather looks horrible - i am a big fan of the painted center console.

the stock plastic is ridiculously cheap looking - wtf was porsche thinking
Ben - I like the supple leather. It looks and feels great.

Here are three pics of it. If you really dislike it as much as you say you do, maybe these pics will make you throw up on your mouth!
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

You know, thankfully I don't get to see Bok Choi's acidic comments anymore, but I can guarantee that every time he is quoted it's a negative comment. Has anyone ever seen him make a positive comment?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tim and Dutchie will do. BTW Dutchie what is an SSK that you mentioned doing at the same time? Sorry but I am not up to speed with all the new lingo. Thanks.

Quick Reply: painted center console