Sponsored by:

My 996 C2 vs Z06 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:22 AM
errico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 996 C2 vs Z06 Experience

I was at a light and heard a rumble in back of me, at the next light I was being harassed by a z06 corvette. I really had never seen one before only on you tube and stuff.

I dont even know where to start as it all was over in a flash. That thing is a complete animal, if he had more road i think it could have taken off. His first gear was ridicoulous, i shifted first and he must have hit 60 mph in first gear ! his second was devastating the noise was scary and that car really gives no mercy. After that i just saw his rear lights and i guess he must have flew off somewhere.

What a crazy car, god help the turbos and gt3.

Anyone ever had these type of situations happen ?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:31 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well at least I don't have chest hair.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 AM
4-large
Racer

I have a 02 c4 and my brother... older brother... rides in a 07 z06 they are very fast .

I can't say as for the GT3 and turbos... z06 good bang for the buck

Last edited by 4-large; 11-03-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 AM
nosub
Instructor

while it is not a "PORSCHE", the Z06's are indeed beasts! If GM/Chevrolet could ever get the interior to it did not look like the plastic was designed/engineered by the same team that did the Cavalier, well....
Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the Z06 is a wicked beast, no doubt about it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad it's a 'vette and has all the baggage that comes along with the badge. I respect the car's raw power though. However, put two tight turns into the mix and the results of a race would be quite different. Porsche's aren't really built for drag racing after all.

Last edited by deckman; 11-03-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Apples and oranges...different cars for different puposes.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 AM
errico
Instructor

Different cars for sure, but what a take off. i never seen a car jump off the line like that. it would be hard to imagine another car keeping up. The sound was crazy. I dont know about the curves how it does but for its price its something to think about if you like that power.

Will the 996 keep up with a normal stock vette? iam talking about a drag race with little or no curves. I get different results form websites about 0-60 and quarter mile times. Has anyone timed their car for these and if so what were the results?

thanks for the replies.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by errico
I was at a light and heard a rumble in back of me, at the next light I was being harassed by a z06 corvette. I really had never seen one before only on you tube and stuff.

I dont even know where to start as it all was over in a flash. That thing is a complete animal, if he had more road i think it could have taken off. His first gear was ridicoulous, i shifted first and he must have hit 60 mph in first gear ! his second was devastating the noise was scary and that car really gives no mercy. After that i just saw his rear lights and i guess he must have flew off somewhere.

Anyone ever had these type of situations happen ?
Errico...as the owner of a C6Z06, I can say that yes, they are absolutely monsters. They perform extremely well on the road course as well. Regardless of your experience, you will have the typical haters that will never admit that there is something out there that can outperform their cars and investment.

You will get the type of comments you are getting from jury_ca and deckman...comments pointed at stereotypes, and they don't realize that all it does, is emphasize the P owner stereotypical stuck up attitude towards anything that is not P.

My 911 is an absolutely great car but I also know it will not perform nearly as well on ANY aspect...but that is ok. That does not make me love my car any less...simply respect other cars more...something that some people need to learn around here...

And yes, the car will do extremely well around corners...MUCH better than a 996...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1sYinDXo3s
Old 11-03-2007, 10:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by errico
Not really the case on the track. Just on the street stoplight to stoplight like you found out. I have run with several Z06's and I can tell you that while they are smoking fast, it is the straights that they keep me in check.

My last event out at VIR where a high hp car is best used I ran with one Z06 (brand new one) that I was queue'd up behind and we ran for about 6 laps before he realized that I was having to SLOW DOWN to keep from hitting him. He'd pull on me on the straights but then the 3 places I just killed him were T1 (end of front straight), T14 (end of back straight), and the Uphill Esses. He would be 10 lengths pulled on me down the back and I would literally have to keep from getting back on the accelerator going down the roller coaster to let him stay in front as I was able to erase that 10 car lengths and then some just from braking and the marker in which I brake. Between my abilities (rather my car) to brake deeper and harder and my ability to aproach up the esses you realize very quickly that the Z06 is a great car until you have to brake or turn L&R at high speed

Needless to say, he finally let me by and never again the rest of that weekend did I have to worry about getting a point-by.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not really the case on the track. Just on the street stoplight to stoplight like you found out. I have run with several Z06's and I can tell you that while they are smoking fast, it is the straights that they keep me in check.

My last event out at VIR where a high hp car is best used I ran with one Z06 (brand new one) that I was queue'd up behind and we ran for about 6 laps before he realized that I was having to SLOW DOWN to keep from hitting him. He'd pull on me on the straights but then the 3 places I just killed him were T1 (end of front straight), T14 (end of back straight), and the Uphill Esses. He would be 10 lengths pulled on me down the back and I would literally have to keep from getting back on the accelerator going down the roller coaster to let him stay in front as I was able to erase that 10 car lengths and then some just from braking and the marker in which I brake. Between my abilities (rather my car) to brake deeper and harder and my ability to aproach up the esses you realize very quickly that the Z06 is a great car until you have to brake or turn L&R at high speed

Needless to say, he finally let me by and never again the rest of that weekend did I have to worry about getting a point-by.
Dell...I think what you are explaining is a driver vs. driver situation. Given equal drivers, the outcome would be a little different.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, I'll let you think that. Sure, maybe I was a better driver than that guy but I can tell you he was no slouch. Further I have run many a times with Z06's on the track driven by top notch drivers (probably better than myself) and there was no significant difference between the cars.

So my point about rebutting the ".....God help the turbos and GT3's" was spot on. We don't need any help. It just comes down to which car you prefer to drive........American or German. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. Don't read anymore into that.

Both are fantastic at the track and are fast as heck. You won't find either wiping up the other with perceived superiority.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell

Both are fantastic at the track and are fast as heck. You won't find either wiping up the other with perceived superiority.
This is something I can certainly agree with...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Dell...I think what you are explaining is a driver vs. driver situation. Given equal drivers, the outcome would be a little different.
Dude, he's in a GT3, not a C2. I don't doubt that what he's saying is true. If he was driving MY car (stock C4), he'd have been run over by the Z06. With the GT3, it's a pretty fair race, I'll bet.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM
MYSTRO
Advanced

Porsche 3.6 / Evolution supercharger 0-120 11.8 GT purly Porsche issue57
477 HP

Chevy Corvette Z06 0-121 12.0 Road & Track Volume 58 No 11 505 HP

It can be beat in a straight line without a turbo or GT2.

Quick Reply: My 996 C2 vs Z06 Experience