Sponsored by:

My 996 C2 vs Z06 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Just curious, what track was that? I like not having walls to worry about.
That is HPT in Topeka...provided you are driving within your limits...you should not have to worry about it...oh, and keep your eyes on the track....you should not be looking at the walls otherwise you will end up there...

If you think this track has walls, you should definetely do not want to visit O'Reilly's motorsport in Ohio...that track has got some crazy walls and passages where you are going in between walls...about 5 feet away from you in each side...

Angel
Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never driven a Z06, but from what I've read it is a great track car - straights or turns.

The impression I get is that while it IS faster on a racetrack, the driver has to work harder to get that last 10%, while the Porsche(s) are more all-around user friendly when pushed. On the street, where road imperfections, bumps, gravel, uneven surfaces, etc is all around, the Porsche isn't as twitchy and is more predicatable and the driver feels more confident when really pushing it.

I think a lot of P-car owners don't want to acknowledge that an American car which costs much less can perform similar or better to their own car. I have no problem acknowledging it though, but I also know that my car fits like a glove and has incredible performance no matter what the category. I won't let another car's few tenths of a second here, or a few seconds per lap there, take anything away from my own car. It's still a blast and I don't mind if there's others out there that could outrun me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 PM
grant911
Pro

Originally Posted by ElTorrente

I think a lot of P-car owners don't want to acknowledge that an American car which costs much less can perform similar or better to their own car. I have no problem acknowledging it though, but I also know that my car fits like a glove and has incredible performance no matter what the category. I won't let another car's few tenths of a second here, or a few seconds per lap there, take anything away from my own car. It's still a blast and I don't mind if there's others out there that could outrun me.
I don't quite understand why we as 911 owners would get bent out of shape about a Z06 being on par if not quicker than our cars. Obviously we all could have bought a Z06 and had plenty left over for mods if we wanted, but we went with a 911, so why get upset? This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Oh, and I quoted you because I agree 100% with what you said!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I've never driven a Z06, but from what I've read it is a great track car - straights or turns.

The impression I get is that while it IS faster on a racetrack, the driver has to work harder to get that last 10%, while the Porsche(s) are more all-around user friendly when pushed. On the street, where road imperfections, bumps, gravel, uneven surfaces, etc is all around, the Porsche isn't as twitchy and is more predicatable and the driver feels more confident when really pushing it.

You've got a good point. I went up against a c6 that had a few mods done.
It was slow in every place around the track except for the back straight where it was keeping up to me. Well thats after slowing me down after a very hard corner and then giving it all it's got, I was still able to keep up but it did pull on me slightly until we had to brake for the next corner.
Next time we came up the back straight I didn't follow closely and got a good exit speed and passed him on the back straight without any effort.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by grant911
I don't quite understand why we as 911 owners would get bent out of shape about a Z06 being on par if not quicker than our cars. Obviously we all could have bought a Z06 and had plenty left over for mods if we wanted, but we went with a 911, so why get upset? This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Oh, and I quoted you because I agree 100% with what you said!
Not to be argumentative...but,...would you mind explaining how you come up with the statement of "obviuosly" that we ALL could buy a $ 65,000 C6Z...and have plenty left over to modd it out if wanted...but you went with a $ 30,000 911 (assuming you are talking about your 99)...?

I still agree with you though...I have no idea why ANY P owner gets bent out of shape over other cars...just buy what you want....period.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think a lot of P-car owners don't want to acknowledge that an American car which costs much less can perform similar or better to their own car.
I think many dream of the day Ford, GM, or Chrysler come up with a car that is just as good (I know I do). The C5 and C6 put up very impressive numbers on paper. They are wicked fast.

However, the devil is in the details and they fall way short on most subjective measures (they just miss out on overall "feel" IMHO).

The C6 is closer than they have ever come before. I hope they hit the C7 out of the park.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Not to be argumentative...but,...would you mind explaining how you come up with the statement of "obviuosly" that we ALL could buy a $ 65,000 C6Z...and have plenty left over to modd it out if wanted...but you went with a $ 30,000 911 (assuming you are talking about your 99)...?

I still agree with you though...I have no idea why ANY P owner gets bent out of shape over other cars...just buy what you want....period.
Exactly. Sure, I could have bought a C6 Z06 but I wanted a GT3 and bought it. I have well over 100K in the car yet at no time to I ever think of these cars in terms of numbers ($$$), rather, performance. The Z is very impressive and I have instructed several students with a Z06 but it lacks that "feeling" that you get from a 911, more specifically a GT3. I admire their cars and they mine when I take them out for a session in my car. Mutual admiration but no coveting thy neighbor's goods
Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Exactly. Sure, I could have bought a C6 Z06 but I wanted a GT3 and bought it. I have well over 100K in the car yet at no time to I ever think of these cars in terms of numbers ($$$), rather, performance. The Z is very impressive and I have instructed several students with a Z06 but it lacks that "feeling" that you get from a 911, more specifically a GT3. I admire their cars and they mine when I take them out for a session in my car. Mutual admiration but no coveting thy neighbor's goods
I fuly agree. Once you start to think about cars in the terms of money, things will not be the same. Of course money will be an issue because we have to live within our means, but I think it gets to a point where you have to buy what ONE personally likes.

The "feel" I completely understand. I know exactly what you mean. My Techart C4...it is a 996 911...and the feel is simply put, the best. The Z does not have it. I saw a 997GT3 yesterday night...and, I got that "feel" just by looking at it...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
grant911
Pro

Let me get this straight. You think I paid $30,000 for my 911, or are you telling me that's what it's worth now? It's pretty simple actually. Let's say you have $50,000 to spend today. Buy a C5 Z06 for $30,000. Then put $15,000 into it. Sorry if you thought I was specifically talking C6. My bad.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by grant911
Let me get this straight. You think I paid $30,000 for my 911, or are you telling me that's what it's worth now? It's pretty simple actually. Let's say you have $50,000 to spend today. Buy a C5 Z06 for $30,000. Then put $15,000 into it. Sorry if you thought I was specifically talking C6. My bad.
I don't know what you paid for YOUR car...I am going based on what 99' 996 C2's "seem" to be bringing today (based on average miles, shape and form), which is what you have on your sig. No idea why or when the C5 Z06 got brought onto the equation as the OP clearly stated he was talking about a C6Z...

Anyway, it really doesn't matter...
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
grant911
Pro

I don't know what you paid for YOUR car...I am going based on what 99' 996 C2's "seem" to be bringing today (based on average miles, shape and form), which is what you have on your sig. No idea why or when the C5 Z06 got brought onto the equation as the OP clearly stated he was talking about a C6Z...

Anyway, it really doesn't matter...
Well, I didn't buy my car today. I bought it four years ago. I brought up the C5 Z06, because it's one that could be bought by anyone who bought a 911, which was my original point. Anyway I agree, it doesn't really matter.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

Having owned a 2006 c2s and now driving a c6 z06 (stock except tires/wheels) regulary at the track, maybe i'll chime in. if driven well, the z06 is a beast. no doubt that its significantly quicker than anything else i've encountered at the track (save for track prepped race cars). problem with the z06 is that something always tends to break. in the five track days i've done in the last 2 months, i've had several issues some which have resulted in the car being towed. 1) silicone piece inside the intake snorked had come loose and blocked the thottle body 2) steering pump had broken 3) deformation of intake snorkel due to high temperatures and vacuum
the above three failures led to the car being towed to the dealer and fixed under warantee. in addition to this, the z06 eats up brake pads like nothing else - now switched to aftermarket rotors and pads and it appears to be better. other issues include over heating the transmission resulting in a phantom gear between the 1 and 3 gear gate becoming available (car with engage gear and spin up in neutral. so all in, may the porsche is slower but i have never had a track breakdown in my 911. the vette is astoundingly quick but it always has some kinda issues preventing it being reliable. the 911 u could beat the crap out of it a day and be confident of going home in it, the z06, u can beat the daylights out of it and something will probably fail.
thx
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NITEALB
Having owned a 2006 c2s and now driving a c6 z06 (stock except tires/wheels) regulary at the track, maybe i'll chime in. if driven well, the z06 is a beast. no doubt that its significantly quicker than anything else i've encountered at the track (save for track prepped race cars). problem with the z06 is that something always tends to break. in the five track days i've done in the last 2 months, i've had several issues some which have resulted in the car being towed. 1) silicone piece inside the intake snorked had come loose and blocked the thottle body 2) steering pump had broken 3) deformation of intake snorkel due to high temperatures and vacuum
the above three failures led to the car being towed to the dealer and fixed under warantee. in addition to this, the z06 eats up brake pads like nothing else - now switched to aftermarket rotors and pads and it appears to be better. other issues include over heating the transmission resulting in a phantom gear between the 1 and 3 gear gate becoming available (car with engage gear and spin up in neutral. so all in, may the porsche is slower but i have never had a track breakdown in my 911. the vette is astoundingly quick but it always has some kinda issues preventing it being reliable. the 911 u could beat the crap out of it a day and be confident of going home in it, the z06, u can beat the daylights out of it and something will probably fail.
thx
This is exactly what I was about to add. All the guys around here gave up the C5Z06 for this reason. Too expensive to keep on the track.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Who needs a Z06. Just build one of these.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/389203-so-who-s-944-smoked-my-zo6.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=sts+camaro
Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
grant911
Pro

Originally Posted by Ray S

Lol... Nice.

Quick Reply: My 996 C2 vs Z06 Experience