996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

10.5" inchers speak up

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim - I have thought about this a lot, plus got 3 Engineers opinions. All said it would probably be OK. I didnt get any "absolutely nots".

Steven - you probably have the best idea but this could affect my friends E-bay rating Maybe advertise for widebody only?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can fit GT3 wheels on the non-GT3 NB, but the look will be different in that they may stick out or stick in further due to the offset being different because of the suspension of the 2 cars being different.
Just for the record -- I am pretty confident that although the suspension is different, the actual position of the wheel mounting in relation to the fender is the same between the GT3 and the standard narrow body 996 -- certainly I have run the 10" rears wheels (left over from my C4) on my GT3 (when desperate from some wet weather traction at VIR) and they looked the same as they did when they where mounted on the C4. I may be wrong as I have never actually measured both but I do not think so.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Just for the record -- I am pretty confident that although the suspension is different, the actual position of the wheel mounting in relation to the fender is the same between the GT3 and the standard narrow body 996 -- certainly I have run the 10" rears wheels (left over from my C4) on my GT3 (when desperate from some wet weather traction at VIR) and they looked the same as they did when they where mounted on the C4. I may be wrong as I have never actually measured both but I do not think so.
I would be happy to know if there is a difference or not...I am going from what I was told by GT3 owners, and so I have no technical resources to show one way or another. You may actually be correct also, and this might actually come down to it being a to put GT3 wheels on a non-GT3 car. But I am sure there is someone out there that has and maybe for tracking. I am very interested in this because I will be trackin gmy '99 NB next year and do not want to use my OZ's (19's) but use 18's, so I am in the market to find teh perfect setup for my car, looks are not necessary since I will be using the wheels for tracking purposes only.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Tim - I have thought about this a lot, plus got 3 Engineers opinions. All said it would probably be OK. I didnt get any "absolutely nots".

Steven - you probably have the best idea but this could affect my friends E-bay rating Maybe advertise for widebody only?
I would advertise them like they do from the original ebay seller, I mean did you give them a bad feedback even though they did not fit exactly how you thought they would ?

Be honest in your listing but you do not need to mention anything about the problems you ran into down the road, you are selling them because you are replacing them with other wheels that meet your liking now. I doubt the buyer will leave negative feedback because your listing will be truthful about the wheels and the fact that they do fit on a 996 and you will show that with a picture of them on your car, that's all you need. Would I sell these wheels this way, yes, does that make it wrong, no, you are not doing any false advertising IMHO (sorry for long response).
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's as simple as this tippy - you have wheels that are crap quality and don't fit your car. trash them, take it as a loss, live and let learn, and finally get wheels that fit your car.

vw jettas and honda civics try to do this all day and some succeed some don't... just like porsche guys. unlike the econobox owners, let's hope you have the cash reserves to spend the $5K or so to get a proper wheel/tire combination for your 911.

handle it,
ben
Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I would advertise them like they do from the original ebay seller, I mean did you give them a bad feedback even though they did not fit exactly how you thought they would ?

Be honest in your listing but you do not need to mention anything about the problems you ran into down the road, you are selling them because you are replacing them with other wheels that meet your liking now. I doubt the buyer will leave negative feedback because your listing will be truthful about the wheels and the fact that they do fit on a 996 and you will show that with a picture of them on your car, that's all you need. Would I sell these wheels this way, yes, does that make it wrong, no, you are not doing any false advertising IMHO (sorry for long response).
Well said, the problem is, I dont have an account. I use my friends and so I am a little hesitant.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can answer this one. I have a 99 996 C2 but have installed a 2004 GT3 take off suspension.... everything is the same. You can run the GT3 wheels on your C2 and vice versa. They fit perfectly because the cars are identical in relation to wheel locations.

Hope this helps. -Paul

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I would be happy to know if there is a difference or not...I am going from what I was told by GT3 owners, and so I have no technical resources to show one way or another. You may actually be correct also, and this might actually come down to it being a to put GT3 wheels on a non-GT3 car. But I am sure there is someone out there that has and maybe for tracking. I am very interested in this because I will be trackin gmy '99 NB next year and do not want to use my OZ's (19's) but use 18's, so I am in the market to find teh perfect setup for my car, looks are not necessary since I will be using the wheels for tracking purposes only.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I can answer this one. I have a 99 996 C2 but have installed a 2004 GT3 take off suspension.... everything is the same. You can run the GT3 wheels on your C2 and vice versa. They fit perfectly because the cars are identical in relation to wheel locations.

Hope this helps. -Paul
sounds like we have a viable solution. just get the oem 18" wheels cuz they certainly are cheaper than aftermarket wheels and more easily sourced used.

hey how about i start out with $1 to the Get Tippy Cool Wheels fund right here?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

just to help you out more..

I have a custom set of Fikse's 17x8.5 ET 50 and 17x11 ET60 and they fit purrfect. These are for track rubber and for my purposes I wanted 17s.

For the rear on a narrow body 996 the viable offsets are as follows.

18x10 ET 65 up to ET48 (that is per the factory recommendation of the stock wheel with a 17mm spacer; so 65mm-17mm=48mm

with an 11 incher
18x11 ET 63 (that is the stock GT3 wheel) up to an ET 60 (which I am running).

This is why I asked about offsets right up front. So if you buy a wheel that fits within the ranges above you won't have any issue except if you are at the limit with the 18x11 ET60 where a 315/30 fits but a 315/35 rubs.

The other thing to remember is that whenever you are right at the limit of a tire/wheel fitting the only thing that can help it is more aggressive negative camber since that tilts the top of the wheel in and helps it clear the fender lip.

The last disclamer is that the stock front lower spring perch takes up a lot of space and can cause issues unless you are running a coilover setup which uses much smaller 2.5 ID springs unlike the giant stock springs.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Believe or not, I have a good grasp on the whole offset but the company I bought them from said they would fit a NB. I should of studied the pics a little more.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Ok, I am really confused... are these the wheels on ebay that you "don't know the offset for"?

19x10.5 ET52

Because if they are then all you need is to mount a 275/30/19 as they advertise in the company's listings and you will be fine. Now if they sent you the same wheel but in an ET45 they screwed up because that is the Boxster fitment and will never work.

Last edited by Paul 996; 10-26-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Ok, I am really confused... are these the wheels on ebay that you "don't know the offset for"?

19x10.5 ET52

Because if they are then all you need is to mount a 275/30/19 as they advertise in the company's listings and you will be fine. Now if they sent you the same wheel but in an ET45 they screwed up because that is the Boxster fitment and will never work.
Those are the ones.

Yes, the company I bought them from recommended 275's but almost every tire manufacturer recommends a 295 for a 10.5". 275's are usually for 9.5"s. That was the whole point of my OP, does a 275 or 285 "work" fine on a 10.5" rim? I needed experiences of dos and donts.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a couple more things and then I am done with this thread.

Forgive me if this is too blunt but it needs to be black and white:

1. You bought a set of wheels that are NOT made for your car and are the INCORRECT offset. A 10.5" wheel with a et52 offset is so wrong it is not even funny. That is wide body offset. Take your factory 10" wheel with an offset of 65 and it would be like adding a 19mm spacer! Guys have tried to add the OEM 17mm spacers and it just doesn't look right nor fit properly. Heck, what you are trying to do (another example) is take a GT3 wheel and ADD a 5mm spacer! The GT3 wheels are already flush to the edge and work b/c of the aggressive setup.

2. Since you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, you're going to keep failing. What you are doing is analogous to golfer "playing his slice"! This is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

3. THe proper tire you should be running on that width rim is the 285/295 tires but you are going to have a heck of a time finding the correct profile. That forces you to the 315 width. Ain't gonna happen. Again, trying to fit a 30 series tire when you need a 25 with a 19" wheel is the whole square peg/round hole ignorance.

4. QUIT TRUSTING EBAY SELLERS AND COME TO YOUR RENNLIST BROTHERS FIRST!!!!!!!

As much as I hate to agree with Ben, sell the damn wheels and get the proper sizes. Chalk this up to a lesson learned and unload those suckers if you can.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

19x10.5 ET52

Paul, see my last post to Cory. Those will NOT fit. Those wheels have far too aggressive and the incorrect RD with that 30 series rubber....over an 1"!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just a couple more things and then I am done with this thread.

Forgive me if this is too blunt but it needs to be black and white:

1. You bought a set of wheels that are NOT made for your car and are the INCORRECT offset. A 10.5" wheel with a et52 offset is so wrong it is not even funny. That is wide body offset. Take your factory 10" wheel with an offset of 65 and it would be like adding a 19mm spacer! Guys have tried to add the OEM 17mm spacers and it just doesn't look right nor fit properly. Heck, what you are trying to do (another example) is take a GT3 wheel and ADD a 5mm spacer! The GT3 wheels are already flush to the edge and work b/c of the aggressive setup.

2. Since you are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, you're going to keep failing. What you are doing is analogous to golfer "playing his slice"! This is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

3. THe proper tire you should be running on that width rim is the 285/295 tires but you are going to have a heck of a time finding the correct profile. That forces you to the 315 width. Ain't gonna happen. Again, trying to fit a 30 series tire when you need a 25 with a 19" wheel is the whole square peg/round hole ignorance.

4. QUIT TRUSTING EBAY SELLERS AND COME TO YOUR RENNLIST BROTHERS FIRST!!!!!!!

As much as I hate to agree with Ben, sell the damn wheels and get the proper sizes. Chalk this up to a lesson learned and unload those suckers if you can.
Hey Dell, what do you REALLY think about the fit of these wheels on a narrow body car?

Quick Reply: 10.5" inchers speak up