Sponsored by:

10.5" inchers speak up

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I wanted to share a picture with you to show you where wheel offset is wrong and the owner had to compensate with going with a narrow tyre to get clearance (sorry it's not a Porsche):

That is what I am looking for, thanks Steven. I do want to know if it looks terrible and how it affects handling.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by LVDell
It's not the width of the tire you are screwing up with, it is the profile of the tire. In the 19's you need to be running a 25 series tire, NOT a 30 series. If you are trying to fit a 30 series tire and have the wrong offset on the wheel then you are going to have serious problems.
Who makes a 25 series?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You can get it in a PS2, Advan Sport, and Conti Sport.

The problem you are running into is that you are trying to buy too narrow of a tire for this application.

You need to run the 315/25/19 to get a 25 series tire. The problem you are running into is that the 19" 997 tire is a 26" RD and for your 996 you need a 25" RD. You could run the taller taller but you are going to change the gearing (taller....not good) in your car and run into the fender issue you are.

So the question is why are you going with a 10.5" wheel in 19" for your car? Or did you already buy it?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Tippy
Race Car

You can get it in a PS2, Advan Sport, and Conti Sport.

The problem you are running into is that you are trying to buy too narrow of a tire for this application.

You need to run the 315/25/19 to get a 25 series tire. The problem you are running into is that the 19" 997 tire is a 26" RD and for your 996 you need a 25" RD. You could run the taller taller but you are going to change the gearing (taller....not good) in your car and run into the fender issue you are.

So the question is why are you going with a 10.5" wheel in 19" for your car? Or did you already buy it?

Yea, the ones in my avatar, I want to put them back on.

On the 26" heigth, yes it killed the gearing of the car (requiring a 25" tire heigth) but it looked good to me and I got a lot of compliments, it relly filled out the wells.

I will look into the 315's, thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't quite understand what the issue is here. All GT3s (which as far as I know is the same body as all narrow body 996s) run 11" rears. In my case I run with 315/30 x 18 Hoosiers (for track) OR 295/30 x 19 Pirellis (for street) on 11" 997 Carrera S wheels. Neither hit the fender despite the fact that the car is lowered as far as it can be. If you have 10.5s that are hitting the fender then you have the wrong wheels (incorrect offset).

If the question is simply that you know you have the wrong wheels but want to know whether you can fit 275 width tires on 10.5" wheels because you think that will allow you to get away with them I think the answer is yes. My previous car (01 996 C4) came from the factory with 265 width on 10" turbo twist wheels. 275s should be 10mm wider than 265s. the 1/2 inch difference between 10" and 10.5" wneels equals 12.5mm. In other words the the difference between these two arrangements is an incremental2.5mm (or less than 1/8th of inch) increase in width -- insignificant. The other way of looking at this is that the factory 11" wheels are commonly mounted with 295 width tires and you want to mount tires that are 20mm narrower on wheels that are 12.5mm narrower. the difference between these arrangements would be 7.5mm -- slightly more than 1/4" -- also insignificant. I think you would be fine.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by jittsl
I don't quite understand what the issue is here. All GT3s (which as far as I know is the same body as all narrow body 996s) run 11" rears. In my case I run with 315/30 x 18 Hoosiers (for track) OR 295/30 x 19 Pirellis (for street) on 11" 997 Carrera S wheels. Neither hit the fender despite the fact that the car is lowered as far as it can be. If you have 10.5s that are hitting the fender then you have the wrong wheels (incorrect offset).

If the question is simply that you know you have the wrong wheels but want to know whether you can fit 275 width tires on 10.5" wheels because you think that will allow you to get away with them I think the answer is yes. My previous car (01 996 C4) came from the factory with 265 width on 10" turbo twist wheels. 275s should be 10mm wider than 265s. the 1/2 inch difference between 10" and 10.5" wneels equals 12.5mm. In other words the the difference between these two arrangements is an incremental2.5mm (or less than 1/8th of inch) increase in width -- insignificant. The other way of looking at this is that the factory 11" wheels are commonly mounted with 295 width tires and you want to mount tires that are 20mm narrower on wheels that are 12.5mm narrower. the difference between these arrangements would be 7.5mm -- slightly more than 1/4" -- also insignificant. I think you would be fine.

I tend to be too wordy.

The simple question was will a 275/30 or 285/30 work on a 10.5" rim without issues (handling/stability/wear) or looking wrong (too ballooned/bead hanging out)? Has anyone had good or bad experiences using a the not so desired size?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Basically, as I see it, the offsets on Cory's (Tippy's) are incorrect for his car. These are the same wheels two other Rennlisters bought on ebay about 18 months ago and they went through these same gymnastics to try to make them fit. Have you ever tried to put a size 11 foot in a size 10 shoe? It will fit, but it is too tight. Removing your socks helps a little, but the bottom line is that the shoe is still too small.

He wants to be able to salvage use of the wheels by going with a narrower tire (a.k.a. "removing the socks". Can the narrower tire work? Probably. Will they fit well and look decent? Probably not. To paraphrase an old saying "if the shoe doesn’t fit, don't wear it."
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl

From what I have been told is that the GT3's and NB's of the same year are the same bodies, but that is it. The suspension and everything else is different. So you may be able to fit 'x' wheel on a GT3, but that does not mean you can fit the same wheel on a non-GT3 NB.

Edit: you can fit GT3 wheels on the non-GT3 NB, but the look will be different in that they may stick out or stick in further due to the offset being different because of the suspension of the 2 cars being different.

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 10-25-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You can fit the GT3 wheels on the non GT narrow cars. This comes down to two things for Cory......1) wrong offset; and 2) too tall of a RD.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:16 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Foolproof method of ensuring the proper tires are fitted to your Porsche:

1) Read manual to find tire size recommended by real Porsche automotive engineers
2) Buy tires in recommended size
3) Mount tires on rims
4) Drive

Voila! You never have to wonder if your tires "work", you know your car is safe to drive, and there are no speedometer/odometer issues.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

You can fit the GT3 wheels on the non GT narrow cars. This comes down to two things for Cory......1) wrong offset; and 2) too tall of a RD.
Dell,

my mistake in that my typing was different than what my brain was thinking.

I have updated my post to say that you can fit GT3 wheels on the non-GT3 NB, but the look will be different in that they may stick out or stick in further due to the offset being different because of the suspension of the 2 cars being different. I guess I am getting a little of subject here so I will shut-up now
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Foolproof method of ensuring the proper tires are fitted to your Porsche:

1) Read manual to find tire size recommended by real Porsche automotive engineers
2) Buy tires in recommended size
3) Mount tires on rims
4) Drive

Voila! You never have to wonder if your tires "work", you know your car is safe to drive, and there are no speedometer/odometer issues.
.... and you forgot #5!

5) Don't buy wheels with the wrong f'king offset. If you're not sure if a certain wheel will work, go to Rennlist and ask the "guys" for help. They will keep you from making a BIG mistake!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
.... and you forgot #5!

5) Don't buy wheels with the wrong f'king offset. If you're not sure if a certain wheel will work, go to Rennlist and ask the "guys" for help. They will keep you from making a BIG mistake!
I hate you guys. I bought these wheels before I started on this forum. Yes, my offset is wrong, but not according to the E-bay site that I bought them from (@$$ monkeys). I should of bought the 18" 5-spokes like I originally wanted.

SOB, no one has chimed in with this combo, guess I am screwed. I am stuck with these wheels, I would not sell them to my worst enemy.

Well, going on the milling machine tomorrow, I will get the offset I want. Dont worry, only taking off .200-.250" off the flange.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tippy
I hate you guys. I bought these wheels before I started on this forum. Yes, my offset is wrong, but not according to the E-bay site that I bought them from (@$$ monkeys). I should of bought the 18" 5-spokes like I originally wanted.

SOB, no one has chimed in with this combo, guess I am screwed. I am stuck with these wheels, I would not sell them to my worst enemy.

Well, going on the milling machine tomorrow, I will get the offset I want. Dont worry, only taking off .200-.250" off the flange.
Cory - now you know why Chuck thinks I'm a ********! OK, we forgive you since you bought the wheels before you "found" Jesu... er... Rennlist!

Seriously, I mean REALLY seriously. Do you really want to trust wheels that have had 1/5" to 1/4" removed from the center hub? Stop and think about that for a minute... or a day. What if one of the wheels cracks and breaks loose. How much would it cost to repair the damage to your car? I won't even mention other cars around you or potential loss of life. Is it REALLY worth the risk?

Measure the offsets and sell these to someone with a wide body car for 60% of what you paid and then get some wheels you really want.

Oh, and ask us if they will fit before you plunk any money down!

Get some other wheels and
Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

You know I was considering the wheels you got but decided to get away from the 5-spoke look in the end, glad I did now.

I too agree with Tim, don't mill the wheels, you can sell them (i.e. eBay), I mean I sold my chrome Imola's and they were not perfect in regards to offset etc., but someone wanted them so they bought them, it wasn't my responsibility to work out the offsets for them, that is there job, just advertise the offsets and post a picture of your car with them on, buyers will go for that.

Fine Print...you did not hear the selling part from me

Quick Reply: 10.5" inchers speak up