996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally got my lift set up for 2 cars!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Finally got my lift set up for 2 cars!

You may remember back in September when I got the lift. Well, with a little creative framing I can now get a second car under the top one! Wow, now on to a new floor and one of the race cars gets to come home
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks great! What kind of lift is it and if I may ask, how much are they?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
that looks great! What kind of lift is it and if I may ask, how much are they?
It is a Direct Lift from Derek Weaver Company in Fort Worth. I ended up with them because I could drive over and actually see what I was buying. They brought it over to Dallas and set it up so it was much easier than doing it long distance. Figure around $2,000 plus freight for someone to set it up for you. Real heavy and not something I would recommend without a lot of help. I did a lot of research before buying and for me a lift in this price range is more than enough. All manufacturers or distributors who sell in this range get them from China by the way. Not a problem for me.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

WOW ..very nice stable...lots of ponies in that garage!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
nosub
Instructor

wow!

Any more details on the "...creative framing..."?

How much room is there from the top of the garage doors when open and the ceiling pre and post the creative framing work?

Am I to understand correctly that the lift was $2000 for parts AND installation not including freight? Or was the $2k just for installation?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nosub
wow!

Any more details on the "...creative framing..."?

How much room is there from the top of the garage doors when open and the ceiling pre and post the creative framing work?

Am I to understand correctly that the lift was $2000 for parts AND installation not including freight? Or was the $2k just for installation?
OK This got complicated. You need around 11 - 12' for two sports cars. Obviously more room for sedans. BUT, the real problem is the garage door. If it comes over the car like mine then you will need at least 9' over the area where the garage door returns so you can use a high lift track system for the door. With this track the garage door returns over the hood of my 964 and the coffer we framed in the ceiling lets the roof of the 964 go high enough. If you look closely at the pic you can see it.

Yes, the lift with install was $2,000 BUT(again) I bought new garge doors since mine were too low and old so that was $2,800 plus with the high lift track a standard door opener will not fit anymore so I bought a really cool Chamberlian opener that mounts on the torsion bar and turns it to open and close the door(another $325 on EBay) which I installed myself.

This was the end of years of planning which at one point had me building real carriage doors that would swing out manually. Glad I didn't go that route!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a tip: Make sure to move the bottom car BEFORE you lower the top one!!

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread - I hit my head on my one-car garage ceiling!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What a setup you have! Stack them in there...as long as they're RED. Is the bottom car protected from leaks from the car above(solid platform)?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven C.
OK This got complicated. You need around 11 - 12' for two sports cars. Obviously more room for sedans. BUT, the real problem is the garage door. If it comes over the car like mine then you will need at least 9' over the area where the garage door returns so you can use a high lift track system for the door. With this track the garage door returns over the hood of my 964 and the coffer we framed in the ceiling lets the roof of the 964 go high enough. If you look closely at the pic you can see it.

Yes, the lift with install was $2,000 BUT(again) I bought new garge doors since mine were too low and old so that was $2,800 plus with the high lift track a standard door opener will not fit anymore so I bought a really cool Chamberlian opener that mounts on the torsion bar and turns it to open and close the door(another $325 on EBay) which I installed myself.

This was the end of years of planning which at one point had me building real carriage doors that would swing out manually. Glad I didn't go that route!
Thanks for the follow up. Luckily my garage is just a hair over 18 feet wide, the only issue is the ceiling is too low. Cannot go with the opener like you got because our garage door is one of the ones overlaid with wood (carriage style) and the openers like you got are not strong enough...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
What a setup you have! Stack them in there...as long as they're RED. Is the bottom car protected from leaks from the car above(solid platform)?
WHAT...a Porsche leak? Actually my 964 doesn't but I got 3 drip trays with the lift. In case I ever buy an English car
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OT. My 1st car was a 1960 Austin-Healey Bug Eye Sprite(it always leaked oil) and I kept it from 1966-1994 when I sold it for a 1979SC.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic...I have the same setup...and I had to replace the door and install torsion bar as well. Overall, a great investment. However, I bleiieve my floor to ceiling measurement is about 10' 8" and it's fine. If anyone wants to do this, make sure you bolt the opener as close to the ceiling as possible in order to get the right clearance when the door lifts.

I love the lift, and used to keep all the drip pans toward the rear. However, when I had brake fluid leak a few years back....it marred up the bimmer pretty nicely. Ask me how I know. KEEP A DRIP PAN IN THE FRONT!!!

Have fun....wait till you see how easy an oil change is now.

J
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Steven - I can't believe you bought that lift! It's BLACK and doesn't match the cars!

Seriously, I can tell that a lot of thought went into the process! Good job!

I thought about buying a lift for my future, used (new-to-me) POS, but I figured the lift would cost half as much as the POS, so I couldn't justify the expense! Besides that, I figured it would be hard to get one painted to match the POS because no company paints their lifts in faded flat black with rust sopts!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice set up! this is what i need
please share more pic about the garage door opener setup?
thx
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Steven - I can't believe you bought that lift! It's BLACK and doesn't match the cars!

Seriously, I can tell that a lot of thought went into the process! Good job!

I thought about buying a lift for my future, used (new-to-me) POS, but I figured the lift would cost half as much as the POS, so I couldn't justify the expense! Besides that, I figured it would be hard to get one painted to match the POS because no company paints their lifts in faded flat black with rust sopts!
Oh come on now. I am sure it will be a nice POS And look on the bright side...No more fretting about when your 996 POS's engine will explode

Quick Reply: Finally got my lift set up for 2 cars!