Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

how would u convince your wife to buy things?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you should of tried telling her you where gonna buy one for 25k and then when you went they had a deal you couldnt let go by. then show up with both and ask her if she ready to go shopping.lol
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't argue with your wife... dicker!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey PL,

I had a stroke of genius…

tell her it was Buy one get the 2nd half off

That always works for my wife

Last edited by evansaero; 10-19-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
Hey PL,

I had a stroke of genius…

tell her it was Buy one get the 2nd half off

That always works for my wife
yeah, and don't forget to add the phrase "and look how much money I saved!"
Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 AM
silvrr
8th Gear

Start with test drive of a new 997 and the 25k will look cheap no matter how you slice it.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Don't argue with your wife... dicker!
LOL
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Caguy
Advanced

Tell her it will fit a brand new Louis Vuitton purse in the trunk. Works everytime.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

tell your wife you are very unhappy.....and that you don't feel like a man that you feel you have been working hard and have nothing to really personally show for..... you need to buy a sports car or 2 (greedy!!)...you have given her all she needed and wanted and didn't really need!...and now it is your turn....this is how I bought my Porsche, my 62inc HD TV, my surround, my fat breitling, my porsche design keychain, my 3 iphones okay I gave her one and if my kid does well in school (which he doesn't) he gets one as well.
Damn this worked really well!! Because I didn't even mention everything yet!!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife would say "If it makes you happy and we can afford it, go for it"
Old 10-20-2007, 10:45 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagnusB
My wife would say "If it makes you happy and we can afford it, go for it"
My wife says somewhat the same thing. "WHY.........OKAY..........if we can afford it, buy it."

I have always been upfront with my wife on any large purchase. In selling her a 2 car purchase would be:
-"The 911 SC is for AX, it would make US better drivers without all the modern gizmos of antilock, traction control to cover up our mistakes."
-"The Boxster is for the track. The modern suspension and safety devices are needed at higher speeds. Plus the new skillset learned from the SC transfers over to the boxster and we will run much faster."
-Finally. "Remember how Jill said you were slow..." This is to setup for additional 25k for future modifications...
Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Give Her one !
Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

As my wife is sitting in the tv room watching Jerry McGuire movie, so there is the proper time for you to introduce your idea and this would not be one of them, however if you have no time for the proper setup of a "sting operation" it will be tough. For me it is all about looking responsibile and unselfish first. I bought her a car first then it was easy for me, simply a matter of checks and balances. Good Luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I probably shouldn't reply to this as I can't give you a cool, hip, "guy" response. But decisions like this set standards of behavior in relationships and come back to haunt you--especially if she thinks it is something that you did to her rather than with her.

While timing is important for any discussion, consider what do you want your relationship founded on? Either of you should be allowed or encouraged to do things if they make sense. Do you want your relationship founded on openness/honesty/tolerance or trying to trick each other? I can think of a variety of scenarios where (I would bet) you would prefer that she doesn't do things, planning just to apologize later if you find out. Within a decsion where you get what you want, how are you looking out for what's good for her? Knowing the answer to that question may create the conversation & the outcome you want. Don't get permission. You don't want a parent/child relationship. Just respect each other and create agreement on decisions that affect both of you. It's neither hard nor complicated.

(I've managed to do it every wrong way possible over the years and have the divorce papers to prove it.)
Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I probably shouldn't reply to this as I can't give you a cool, hip, "guy" response. But decisions like this set standards of behavior in relationships and come back to haunt you--especially if she thinks it is something that you did to her rather than with her.

While timing is important for any discussion, consider what do you want your relationship founded on? Either of you should be allowed or encouraged to do things if they make sense. Do you want your relationship founded on openness/honesty/tolerance or trying to trick each other? I can think of a variety of scenarios where (I would bet) you would prefer that she doesn't do things, planning just to apologize later if you find out. Within a decsion where you get what you want, how are you looking out for what's good for her? Knowing the answer to that question may create the conversation & the outcome you want. Don't get permission. You don't want a parent/child relationship. Just respect each other and create agreement on decisions that affect both of you. It's neither hard nor complicated.

(I've managed to do it every wrong way possible over the years and have the divorce papers to prove it.)
Well said. For all the people that are clamoring for ideas of how to "trick" the wife into "letting" you get two Porsches (with a shiny new purse!?!), that will just come back to bite you in the rear. It'll make her bitter towards the cars and they'll just remind her of how you went behind her back. Seriously, this is like "Junior-High Relationships 101"--these ideas will never work.

And I'll say it again: buying TWO P-cars for $25k only ensures that you'll be "investing" a lot more money into them in the future, and that will only serve to make her more upset about the cars. IMO, the minimum budget to buy two Porsches would be about $40k, unless you enjoy being nickel-and-dimed for as long as you own the cars.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

she tricked me into having kids...telling me how wonderful they are and that they would enrich my life....well none of that. but you are right honesty in a relationship will make it last...and keeping your you-know-what in your pants is pretty helpful as well....finances and cheating are the 2 biggest divorse reasons in the world!

Quick Reply: how would u convince your wife to buy things?