Sponsored by:

is 996 a bad track car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2 cents.

An improperly maintained car, no matter what car, should NOT have a timing chain let go.

Proper maintainence would of NOT saved the timing chain.

A chain can run longer than a friction bearing without oil. Think about it.

Leave the "unknown history" out of a cars situation when the motor blows, these are clearly manufacturing faults. Come on, 53k miles.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:23 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
My 2 cents.

An improperly maintained car, no matter what car, should NOT have a timing chain let go.

Leave the "unknown history" out of a cars situation when the motor blows, these are clearly manufacturing faults. Come on, 53k miles.
+1
most bad 996/986 engine are due to man. defects.

does this make 996/986 engine a bad car for track? no.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Maybe you're being sarcastic, but I'll chime in with my 2 cents.

Read what the others posted about 8 year old cars. Things can and do break.

Unless you already have a TON of track experience, you wont be stressing the car hard enough to damage it assuming it's properly maintianed and excluding possible off-track excursions.

A DE is not a "race". Don't confuse the two, they are completely different.

Take it to the track and enjoy the experiences that you'll never have on the street.
Nope I wasn't being sarcastic, just being cautious. I fully understand that things can break and I am prepared to accept that.

Yep my first experience tracking the car and I just finished the GGR Ground School and fully understand that a DE is not a race and I have no plans on doing TT with my 996 C2. If I step up to TT I will have a different car all together or my current C2 will be a full-time track car. So I will not be pushing it to limits knowing the age of the car etc. I will maintain it and have it tech inspected prior to the start of the season.

So thanks for chiming in because it does make me feel much more comfortable. I am looking forward to tracking the car.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec Boxster cars run wet sump M96 engines without mass destruction, but they do fit the BK "Deep Sump" kit.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Well here I am, just joined the PCA-GGR and looking at DE'ing my '99 996 C2 2/3 times a year. I am not the original owner, the only real mod (non-aesthetic) has been made to the suspension, and the tyres are PS2's.

Now that I have read this thread and I am very worried about running my car at any track. I understand that stuff happens and now that I am pushing the car to more upper limits during the event I can expect to have problems. But what I read is close to telling me "DON'T RACE IT!!!"

So for someone like me that is new to owning a Porsche and wants to experience such a car on the track, am I now to abandon that ???
Hey Speed-Demon,
I joined PCA-GGR to do DE/AX too.
I found the other local Zone-7 PCA regions had more convenient events.
Check out PCA-CDS (coastal driving school), they run at Laguna Seca a few times.... thats a fantastic track.
I also went a few times with PCA-SVR (Sacramento Valley Region) at Infenion and Thunderhill.
Perhaps i'll see you there one of these days :-)
Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Hey Speed-Demon,
I joined PCA-GGR to do DE/AX too.
I found the other local Zone-7 PCA regions had more convenient events.
Check out PCA-CDS (coastal driving school), they run at Laguna Seca a few times.... thats a fantastic track.
I also went a few times with PCA-SVR (Sacramento Valley Region) at Infenion and Thunderhill.
Perhaps i'll see you there one of these days :-)
Cool I will look at the other regions. I will not be able to make it out this year, but next year I will be out a couple of times. I like Thunderhill so far, but being able to drive at other tracks such as Laguna Seca and Infenion is something I want to do for sure.

BTW...if you do not recognize my car at any events, look for my number 666

See you at the track
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Karl & Steven, why are you limiting your track days to PCA events? There are a lot of high quality clubs out there and their events are always full of P-cars. Check out the hotlinks on the Thunderhill calendar.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2 cents.

Was simply making a point about assumed risk. You come on, it's racing.

People who buy used cars are not entitled to expect them to be bulletproof. People who race are not entitled to expect nothing to break. Life is full of risks, no matter what lawyers being paid on contingency tell you.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Was simply making a point about assumed risk. You come on, it's racing.

People who buy used cars are not entitled to expect them to be bulletproof. People who race are not entitled to expect nothing to break. Life is full of risks, no matter what lawyers being paid on contingency tell you.
I am not attacking, didnt mean to come off the way I did,

just tired of the reasons people think that cause of the engine failure is an ill-maintained engine all the time. He clearly stated that the timing chain failed. I dont care how careless a person is to a car, the timing chain should not fail........

I am going to ask my lawyer about that last statement.........that SOB lied
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karl & Steven, why are you limiting your track days to PCA events? There are a lot of high quality clubs out there and their events are always full of P-cars. Check out the hotlinks on the Thunderhill calendar.
I wasnt necessarily limiting to PCA.

Thunderhill is a HUGE drive for me, so i wanted Laguna or Infineon, and Trackmasters had joint events with PCA regions for both of these, and had instructors who drove 911's too.

Now i have a second son (6 months old) im not sure if i'll get to go this year or not.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not attacking, didnt mean to come off the way I did,

just tired of the reasons people think that cause of the engine failure is an ill-maintained engine all the time. He clearly stated that the timing chain failed. I dont care how careless a person is to a car, the timing chain should not fail........

I am going to ask my lawyer about that last statement.........that SOB lied
Thanks for saying. I've been known to come off terse myself the odd time

To be frank, I don't know what causes a timing chain to break or what effect maintenance or driving habits would have on it. I was speaking in generalities, dangerous I know.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Nope not limiting myself to just PCA, but I am limited on availability to do any events. So unfortunately I cannot fill-up the calendar with as many as I want too, so right now PCA-GGR fits in to my hectic life, but let me shop around and thanks for the info on hotlinks.

FYI: just got back from being in Seattle for a week, leaving for Seattle again on Sunday for another week, then the following week I am off to L.A., this is all work related so no time to relax and go do anything on the weekends because I am dead to the world basically.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

you can set the accusump to discharge at any point you like. setting it to discharge at 2 bar would prevent damage.

i agree with what others have said, your mechanics are idiots. i have been tracking my 996 for 3 years now. no oil starvation problems. i only JUST put an x51 oil pan baffle on it. my '99 is now at 99000 miles with 4~5000 track miles.

Originally Posted by waydeki
I asked about the Accusump and was told that it engages upon sensing low pressure, by which time the damage has been done.

I understand and agree with the point that a used car is perhaps not the best candidate and any hobby of this nature come with an element of risk.

Considering all that, I was still made to feel like a dummy for expecting the 996 to hold up at any level under track use.

Seriously, the question hardly left my mouth before the mechanics were providing an answer. To quote a major Chicago area Porsche dealer who happened to be at Road America, "Road America takes out tons of 996's. The carousel is what really does them in. I have a customer who has blown three 3.4L motors on the carousel. he installed an accusump and claims that it ticks off everytime he's in the carousel."

he went on to recommend a 997 3.8L upgrade or a "motorsport 3.4L with a modified oil pan.

another highly respected Porsche shop quoted, "the 996 was never meant for track use. the cars came new with stickers that warned of putting stickier tires on the car for fear of added stress to the oil systems."
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

There is only one option, repair the motor AND add the motorsports kit ( scavenge pump, oil pan etc). At the very least, do the BK deep sump kit and don't worry about it. I tracked my 996 for years and never had any problems.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Karlooz, Are you still SC? if so how many miles are track time with it? TIA

Quick Reply: is 996 a bad track car?