996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the opportunity to meet Chuck and see his car, I even took it for a short drive on 160 through the delta, I was impressed with it's pick-up and performance. So after hearing about what happened it was very sad to say goodbye to a '99 996.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok Chuck, they FORCED me to do this.... no, REALLY... they did!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

OMG, Chuck...I just saw this thread....I am glad you are O.K.! Too bad about but your car though. Having seen it in person, it was a beauty. Hopefully the insurance will give you enough to get another beauty! Did someone say turbo....?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Tim: You're such a butt-hole....no one forced you to do that....it was just your mean-spirited self....and you probably giggled all the way thru putting up those icons didn't you?

Take a look at the for sale thread....they're going to total it and I may buy it back and part it out if there's enough interest....someone may want it to rewire and have a nice car....but I'm a novice in this arena, so I just thought I'd throw it out there...it's still got the PSS9's and mods. I'd rather sell it as a rolling chassis.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Oh yes...FisterD....there's DEFINITELY a turbo in the wind. I've driven six of them so far and am negotiating also for a white 05 GT3 that you can see if you bring up the Carlsen Porsche site in Redwood City. There have been some really nice turbos that I've seen and driven....even drove a fly yellow Ferrari Modena today....but I think I'm going to stick with Porsche....and will also upgrade to the X50 package. If you've seen my atavar it says "should have just bought a twin turbo......" so this is my chance and jumping off point. Insurance says they'll settle by the end of the week and they're being extremely fair.....

So if all goes according to plan, I'll be moving over to the twin turbo boards.... Oh Yeah!

Oh...and for Orient....tomorrow I'll see if I can get some pictures that a friend of mine took and post them so you looky-loo's can see the morbid remains of what used to be a beautiful car. I'd sure like to know what started it so that I could pass that along....

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 09-12-2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Yo Tim: You're such a butt-hole....no one forced you to do that....it was just your mean-spirited self....and you probably giggled all the way thru putting up those icons didn't you?

Take a look at the for sale thread....they're going to total it and I may buy it back and part it out if there's enough interest....someone may want it to rewire and have a nice car....but I'm a novice in this arena, so I just thought I'd throw it out there...it's still got the PSS9's and mods. I'd rather sell it as a rolling chassis.
Awe Chuck, that hurt... that really HURT! No, not the "butt-hole" part.... guilty as charged!

What made it hurt so much is the fact that you know me too well. Yeah, I must admit that I was giggling the whole time I was "cutting & pasting" those icons into the thread.

Glad to hear that the insurance company is being fair with you. Sounds like you are getting the TT search narrowed down a bit. I was a little surprised to hear that an '05 GT3 got into the mix. That would be sweet, too!

Keep us posted as the search progresses and let us know when you find THE one! Oh, yeah, and don't forget to post pics of the new car! (hee hee)
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Chuck, I can't believe what I'm reading!!!! I saw you and the car at Taco Tuesday just before this all happened...what a shame, the car was looking real good! I am glad you weren't hurt, but that airbag going off must have been a real shocker. Hope you come out well with the insurance crooks, and I look forward to seeing you and prehaps a new TT at next months Taco night. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Take care, Rich
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Oh yes...FisterD....there's DEFINITELY a turbo in the wind. I've driven six of them so far and am negotiating also for a white 05 GT3 that you can see if you bring up the Carlsen Porsche site in Redwood City. There have been some really nice turbos that I've seen and driven....even drove a fly yellow Ferrari Modena today....but I think I'm going to stick with Porsche....and will also upgrade to the X50 package. If you've seen my atavar it says "should have just bought a twin turbo......" so this is my chance and jumping off point. Insurance says they'll settle by the end of the week and they're being extremely fair.....

So if all goes according to plan, I'll be moving over to the twin turbo boards.... Oh Yeah!

Oh...and for Orient....tomorrow I'll see if I can get some pictures that a friend of mine took and post them so you looky-loo's can see the morbid remains of what used to be a beautiful car. I'd sure like to know what started it so that I could pass that along....
Hmmmm, let's see. Chuck, you've already driven 6 TTs, pricing out Ferraris and GT3s. Sounds premeditated to me. You didn't by any chance have anything to do with this fire, did you?? (Only kidding, I think). Good luck - can't go wrong with any of your choices!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Phil: That's the exact same thing the insurance company wondered. However I'd like to report that they have determined that the cause was accidental not man-made. I'm not a big believer in coincidence....but in this case I have honestly been looking for a TT or GT3 and even a polygraph would confirm that there is no indication of premeditation...

Just got a call from the insurance company and they are totalling it out....so my hunt for a replaement begins in earnest now. They did offer to sell the car back to me....anyone want a good body and engine for a track car?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 AM
viper501
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you had the engine about 3 months ago ...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, just wow. Chuck, from our e-mail exchange you know I feel your pain, man, I really do.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:03 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus, Chuck, I just saw this.

Good God, that's horrible.

hopefully by the next taco tuesday you'll have a nice TT for us to drool over.

Quick Reply: Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!