Sponsored by:

Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911Carrera2
Isn't it dangerous to keep a fire extinguisher in the car on a really hot day? My fear is it would explode on its own in the cabin. What is the maximum safe in-car temperature for the fire extinguisher? Sometimes when it's 100F outside, it can reach over 130F inside the car.
No I have them in my track cars that get well over 100 on hot days. More danger in me exploding than the extinguisher
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Porsche911Carrera2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole post got me freaked out now What is the recomended brand for a fire extinguisher?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a guy on Rennlist.....I think his handle is Islandman PA or something like that...he was selling the halon extinguishers in the for sale section...go do a search there for Halon extinguishers. His prices were as good as any and he was selling the 1.5 pound and 5 pound halon extinguishers. I wish I had bought one...I could have stopped that fire almost immediately.

The fire department used the chemical extinguisher in my car.....not a pretty sight....makes it look like the car has been sitting in a severe dust storm for the past three years. I got a call from CSAA and they are pretty sure they're going to total it....after I looked at it closer today, there's no way that car can be fixed. It was a heartbreaking sight.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Chuck,
What a sad story. I'm glad you were not hurt as a result of the fire.

I too have been contemplating a fire extinguisher since buying my 993 in '05. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an Amerex Halotron 2.5 lb extinguisher and seat mounting bracket from Stable Energies. Hopefully I can make the time to install it this weekend.

Extinguisher

Andreas
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a '80 928 years ago. The alternator failed while driving and somehow started discharging the battery through the voltmeter's idiot light. It was at night and the light got brighter and brighter until it illuminated the whole interior and smoke started pouring out of the dash! The light finally burned out and the smoke stopped. I was several miles from home and kept driving until the engine started sputtering and the headlights shut off. When the engine finally quit I was just able to coast into my driveway!
Fortunately no airbags in that car cause I'm sure they would have fired at one time or another.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fellow Rennlisters: Today I went out and swapped out some of the mods before the insurance company had the car towed to the salvage yard. I replaced the mods with the Original parts that I had kept after installing the mods. Since the fire was in the dash, I only took off my mods from the engine compartment that had no fire or smoke damage. I don't have any other parts unless the insurance company makes me a good offer on buying the car back.

I'll be selling the RSS Plenum for $600....this is for the 99 996 wit non e-gas. Make sure of your fitment becasue there are different models for different engines. The Plenum is about three months old in pefect condition. As I recall they go for almost $1K new. I also have an almost new EVOM Cool Air Intake that was just installed by SharkWerks a month or so ago. I'll let that go for $400. Buyer is responsible for shipping charges.

Chuck
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames

Originally Posted by riad
Make a good track car. And don't forget to paint the flames on it.
Flames nice touch, however you would have to put them on the dash.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Holy effing crap man I am just glad you are ok! This reminds me of something that happened on my first 01 turbo. Smoke started coming through the vents all of a sudden and then I could smell plastic burning. For some reason what happened was my climate control shorted some harness and thing went from bad to worse. I had to take my dash etc... out to repair a whole bunch of wires on that harness
Old 09-11-2007, 02:25 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Good to hear the car is totaled. Once a car has had a fire it is really difficult to ever get all of the smell out or know that you have everything fixed back right. My philosophy is once you see flames, get away and let it burn. I had an Alfa Romeo Sypder Veloce years ago that caught on fire. Someone in a passing car had a small Halon extinguisher that knocked the fire right out, but there was enough damage to total it. The insurance adjuster told me the car could probably be fixed, but his experience was that it would never be the same. I am glad I listened to his advice.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

What's the point of having an exstiguisher if you are safely out of the car?

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
There's a guy on Rennlist.....I think his handle is Islandman PA or something like that...he was selling the halon extinguishers in the for sale section...go do a search there for Halon extinguishers. His prices were as good as any and he was selling the 1.5 pound and 5 pound halon extinguishers. I wish I had bought one...I could have stopped that fire almost immediately.

The fire department used the chemical extinguisher in my car.....not a pretty sight....makes it look like the car has been sitting in a severe dust storm for the past three years. I got a call from CSAA and they are pretty sure they're going to total it....after I looked at it closer today, there's no way that car can be fixed. It was a heartbreaking sight.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
viper501
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmillnj
... My philosophy is once you see flames, get away and let it burn. ....
That is exactly what I was thinking. Sad to see it go but if it is insured "let the M.F. burn."
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Oh, I missed this post. I agree.

Originally Posted by viper501
That is exactly what I was thinking. Sad to see it go but if it is insured "let the M.F. burn."
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Chuck:

Can you post some pictures of the tragedy?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Chuck:

Can you post some pictures of the tragedy?
Your just evil to want to see the remains of Chuck's car, but hold on I agree, LETS SEE SOME PICS
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM
lanny
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Your just evil to want to see the remains of Chuck's car, but hold on I agree, LETS SEE SOME PICS
I keep coming back to this thread hoping there are pics too- I am just a sicko I guess

Quick Reply: Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!