Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 07:24 PM
alpha1
Instructor

Chuck -- Glad to hear you're OK after all of that. Good luck with the car, but your life and well being are far more important.
Old 09-05-2007 | 07:41 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yeah, airbags hurt and the gun powder from them burn.

Man, I'm kind of excited for you on your potential 996 Turbo purchase.

The one problem I see is you didn't get the car towed home to strip the parts off after the the adjuster totals it.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I had it towed to Niello Porsche and got a phone call from them....they said the entire wiring harness and most of the controls under the dash are toast....plus with the deployed airbag and blown out windshield....I fully expect it to be totalled.

I will do an extensive followup with pictures...especially to cover the issue of potential cause. But one thing you folks might take from this is that in the event of an interior fire like this....watch out for that airbag deployment!! I was lucky that I was half in/half out of the car from the passenger's side taking my insurance documents out of the center console when it went off. Although it just hit me a glancing blow to the side of the head, since my cervical spine is fused at the C4 location, it could have easily broken my neck hitting me from the side like that.

Another thing I'll take away from this is that I've been looking at fire extinguishers....IslandmandPA I think sells the Halon ones.....and I talked myself out of buying them on a number of occasions using the logic that I've never heard of one of these cars just catching fire. My mindset has changed substantially.

I also have a lot of good mods in there that I'm hoping to be able to retro and keep...PSS9's, headers, EVOM CAI, MKII mufflers, new Michelin Pilot Sports, RSS Plenum etc. I kept all the OEM stuff, so I'm hoping that if the insurance company does write it off, they'll let me retro it to stock. There's a lot of money tied up in all those mods. I'd sure like to recoup some of it and offer it on this forum....because when the smoke clears (literally?) I intend to be looking for a twin turbo...and as a matter of fact am already talking to several folks about theirs.

Chuck
Old 09-05-2007 | 07:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Chuck - sorry to hear this! I am certainly glad you are OK.

I can make you an AWESOME deal on a 2004 C2.
Old 09-05-2007 | 08:23 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

From: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
But one thing you folks might take from this is that in the event of an interior fire like this....watch out for that airbag deployment!! I was lucky that I was half in/half out of the car from the passenger's side taking my insurance documents out of the center console when it went off. Although it just hit me a glancing blow to the side of the head, since my cervical spine is fused at the C4 location, it could have easily broken my neck hitting me from the side like that.
Ouch.. Watching your car go up in flames is bad enough..add the potential of permanent injury, and I think I'd be getting out of the car and standing far away. It just ain't worth it - cars can always be replaced - your health can't.

Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed, if a bit smoky. Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

- Nick
Old 09-05-2007 | 09:05 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Gotta: I actually thought about your car as I was watching mine burn....I love the color, it's newer, and I know you've taken care of it....but I'm really looking for an X50.....but I won't write you off. I have to see what the insurance company is willing to do for me.....I know it's going to be the usual fight of "We'll give you $XXX.....no I have more than that into it.....Well then how about $XXX". Hopefully I can get a quick settlement out of this then move on to something else. I even considered selling the 87 Slant and putting that money towards a whatever.....but I'm sort of attached to that air cooled 930.
Old 09-05-2007 | 09:19 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

WOW, craziest story I have heard in a long time, but most importantly you are OK... Soon enough you will get another and better car to replace this one. You are right though when you least expect these occurences to happen, BAM, you get it... I may need to look into a fire extinguisher now, who knows when my wires start going nuts too, Oops... Good luck buddy! Keep us updated on the insurance part.
Cheers,
Old 09-05-2007 | 09:32 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Also just so you all know.....I had NO aftermarket stuff under the dash....the radio was a CDR220 and other than the GIAC flash, there were absolutely no modifications in the dash. Everything under there was stock......now the engine is another matter, but that's not where the fire started. Do yourself a favor....go buy a Halon extinguisher. Although the CHP guy who stopped and offered to help used his extinguisher.....the God awful mess that one of those extinguishers makes is heartbreaking....especially after I spent two days getting it ready for the class reunion this weekend. The dogone car looks like a barn find.
Old 09-05-2007 | 09:54 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Sorry to hear what happened. I was reading and expected and the end of your story to say "and then I woke up sweating".

Before I bought the 996, I was looking at 3.2 911 Carreras. One of them started smoking around the dash area when the A/C was turned on. Luckily we shut the car down before it caught fire. The short was probably from old dried insulation on the wiring and/or an overloaded circuit.
Old 09-05-2007 | 10:49 PM
rleeq
Racer

Chuck,

What a drag. I’m so sorry to hear about your car but I’m glad that you weren’t injured.
I feel your pain.
Just yesterday going home I hit some road debris which launched my car on two wheels, the two on the left, setting off the passenger side airbag when I landed back on all fours. I was thinking that if I had a passenger the airbag could have pushed them into me which could have caused a worst accident.
Can I call dibs on the EVO CAI intake.
A TT will be good therapy.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2007 | 11:09 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

That is terrible. The airbag deployment must have really sucked. I am fused C5-7 also, nice to think our cars could kill us.

Hopefully this is a freak occurance and the cause is found.
Old 09-05-2007 | 11:20 PM
viper501
Instructor

The dry chemical extinguisher alone is probably enough to total the car. It is very corrosive and will eat up the car from the inside out regardless of the amount of vacuuming you do in the future.
Old 09-05-2007 | 11:51 PM
evansaero
Pro

Glad you are alright... Sorry for your loss
Old 09-06-2007 | 12:10 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Wow....very interesting....happy no one was hurt. Must be fun thinking about your next sled.

J
Old 09-06-2007 | 03:45 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Chuck, feel really sorry for you. What a freak accident!! I'm glad you are ok though. I hope you settle this and get to buy the twin turbo. Promise not to forget us here on the 996 board when you start talking to the turbo boys.
Old 09-06-2007 | 09:27 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

This is tragic Chuck. We are glad you weren't hurt during all this. Cars can be replaced. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Holy Smokes (literally) Caught fire!