Sponsored by:

X74 suspension pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lamesacarrera
I'd actually be surprised if a dealer parts guy knew what the X74 is! Also, I didn't thinkthe X74 kit was available through US dealers?
Why would you think that?

Originally Posted by 996cats
I just got off the phone with the dealer. I talked with a guy who has sold an X74 recently. Thanks to Dell for the p/n. Dealer says he can order for $2450 plus tax...So probably around $2700 to $2800 for the kit from my dealer. 2 to 4 week leadtime. He says he sees (3) in stock in Germany.

They still don't know what the spring rates are. Anyone have a guess?

And is there anyone out there that has used the H&R coilovers?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Well, considering the GT3 spring rates are 228F/543R I can't imagine they would be that high. The stock spring rates for the non GT stock C2 is 146F 203R. Knowing that, I would guess somewhere in the middle?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm halfway through an X74 install. Just the fronts w/ stock US rear. My car kinda looks hopped up now. I'm half tempted to leave it and put some fuzzy dice hanging off my rear view mirror. I'll have to post some pics.

I had to face it:
1) My car will never be a GT3 so forget Motons or JRZ.
2) PSS9's don't include GT3 sways so you have to figure that in to the cost + drop links. Ends up being more expensive.
3) How much lower and stiffer do you want to go than X74 anyways for a street car?

I'll be testing out the new suspension at Laguna next Friday. I've sorta grown accustomed to sloshing my way around a track, but I don't think I'll miss it too much...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never heard of anyone putting GT3 shocks/springs on a C2. Should I assume it's because it's too expenseive to get the parts to fit????
Old 08-31-2007, 11:23 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitake
I'm halfway through an X74 install. Just the fronts w/ stock US rear. My car kinda looks hopped up now. I'm half tempted to leave it and put some fuzzy dice hanging off my rear view mirror. I'll have to post some pics.

I had to face it:
2) PSS9's don't include GT3 sways so you have to figure that in to the cost + drop links. Ends up being more expensive.
3) How much lower and stiffer do you want to go than X74 anyways for a street car?

I'll be testing out the new suspension at Laguna next Friday. I've sorta grown accustomed to sloshing my way around a track, but I don't think I'll miss it too much...
Leave it that way, I am sure the rake of the car will create a better path for the air to flow.

Did you use my install thread to help you with the install ?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I had to face it:
Hence, the very reason I decided it was a losing battle so I bought a GT3!

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I've never heard of anyone putting GT3 shocks/springs on a C2. Should I assume it's because it's too expenseive to get the parts to fit????
Been done. Actually, one of the guys here on the board did the whole setup (including the anti-sway bars). It was in the last month or two. A quick search should find it.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Been done. Actually, one of the guys here on the board did the whole setup (including the anti-sway bars). It was in the last month or two. A quick search should find it.
Thanks Dell, I actually remember seeing that thread but forgot about until you just reminded me. X74 vs. GT3..... hmm, decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Wow, Just realized that this is my 1,000th post. How should I celebrate???
Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Grey Goose Martini
Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
dnitake
Racer

>>Leave it that way, I am sure the rake of the car will create a better path for the air to
>>flow.
>>Did you use my install thread to help you with the install ?
SpeedDemon, indeed I did use your guide. It is amazing how simple it is. Gotta love Porsche for that. I did need a separate jack to lift the strut back into the 3 holes. I hope the rears are as simple. We'll see shortly.

>>Hence, the very reason I decided it was a losing battle so I bought a GT3!
Dell, sage advice. After you tally all the bits and pieces and labor to get half a GT3. My only hope is my daughter will become a child movie star whose funds I can misappropriate. She can sue me but I'll have that GT3 damnit!!!
To address this thread. the best suspension mod you can make to your 996 is to buy a GT3 (LOL!).
Old 09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=dnitake;4516336]>>Leave it that way, I am sure the rake of the car will create a better path for the air to
>>flow.
>>Did you use my install thread to help you with the install ?
SpeedDemon, indeed I did use your guide. It is amazing how simple it is. Gotta love Porsche for that. I did need a separate jack to lift the strut back into the 3 holes. I hope the rears are as simple. We'll see shortly.
QUOTE]

Glad to hear you used my thread and yes you do have to use a separate jack (we used a bottle jack) to push the strut up into the holes. Rears were very easy and again straight-forward.

Enjoy
Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 PM
dnitake
Racer

Sorry about the "price of X74" thread, but no sense starting a new one.

Done w/ the install. I can't upload photos as I've let my subscription run out which I'll fix in a few days but here are my general comments meant to be provacative, satirical, and humorous so don't take it too seriously. More serious comments will come back after I track this thing.

1) For those of you saving up for PSS9's, don't bother. Save yourself the trouble and cost. $2100 for the shocks, $500 for the bars, $300 for the drop links, $300 for corner balancing, $200 for the skid pan. That's $3400. And what do you get? A trackable street car. They're adjustable. OK but if you knew anything about how to adjust damping and ride height, you'd be buying Motons. X74 bolts right in and that's it. You'll have years trying to over drive this setup over stock. Are you really going to tweak collar rings and turn damping screws from 8 to 10 and go "Wow, that was awesome!"? Nahhh. So do the X74, drive the **** out of it, and when you need more, your time in the 996 is over. Time for a GT3 or a dedicated track car.

2) X74's are LOW. If you drop your car more w/ PSS9's, you won't even be able to drive out your garage. 996's have a huge overhang on the nose. Not a problem w/ US or ROW MO30, but my local Target (yes, I shop there) is now impossible. Is that a bad thing?

3) X74's are not stiff. Is it stiffer than stock? Yes, but US stock is ridiculous for a car like this. You can still push down on a corner of the car and it will move, something that didn't even come close to happening on my Toyota track car when I had it. Now that car was stiff. This really doesn't feel stiff at all. I like it more in fact. Very streetable other than the clearance.

4) Some install observations other than SpeedDemons writeup.
If changing your oil is a 1 and swapping a motor is a 10, I'd rate this a 3-4. You really don't even have to be that organized since you don't have to do anything sequential. Let the nuts and bolts drop where they are and pick em up later. They're even different sizes so you can't mix them up. MacPherson strut just slid right out, the part I thought would be the hardest. It didn't take me 7 hrs like somebody else. Took me more like 10 hrs doing it by myself w/ no lift. But I get distracted easily by being thirsty or just admiring the Porsche engineering under there.
* You need an 18 mm box to remove the rear shock. Control arm in the way.
* Rear US shock is under a preload. You need to drift out the lower mount bolt and hammer the shock to get it off its perch. I don't think a spring compressor is necessary. The X74 being so much shorter goes right in. You WILL need a spring compressor to restore this back to US though. Don't need to remove rear calipers so only 1 bolt set needed for fronts (10mm Allen)
* Rear bar is a super easy. Front bar more complicated since you need to undo the belly pan and cross members. I didn't remove the whole pan or the cross members. Just loosened stuff enough to slide the bar into its slot.
* Remove the 10mm anti lock and brake hose brackets before you remove the front calipers. Loosening the front caliper bolts (10mm Allen) is a bitch. Required a breaker bar. I'd estimate 150+ ft/lbs easy to undo if lug nuts are 95 ft/lbs.
* If you're generally not going to spec torque your bolts back, than commit to doing 2 sets: the front brake caliper bolts ($13 for the front from dealer) and anything that goes into aluminum (the rear sway bar mounts).

That's enough babble for now.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
996cats
Advanced

Dan,

Do you have any before and after pics? What size tires are you running up front? Any rubbing?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM
dnitake
Racer

I have pics of X74 front/US rear and X74 front/rear. Need to figure out an upload site. Tire sizes are 225/40/18, 265/35/18. No rubbing (except the nose on my driveway :-) )
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

I have pics of X74 front/US rear and X74 front/rear. Need to figure out an upload site. Tire sizes are 225/40/18, 265/35/18. No rubbing (except the nose on my driveway :-) )
Nice write-up, you should be able to post pics unless they are too big.

BTW...the fix for rubbing on your drive-way...move My driveway has very little slope, just enough for water to run out of it into the court, but just barely...I love my driveway
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
996cats
Advanced

Hi Dan,

I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. You can e-mail me the pics there and I will host them and put them up here for the thread.

Is the car so low that you can't take it to a public car wash? (I wash my own car, but a few times a year I take it in for detailing and a bottom blast).

Thanks,

Bill P.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
dnitake
Racer

I stuck 4 photos 2 each here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnitake/

Don't think it needs a password.
PM me if you can't tell which one is which (NOT!!)

Yeah, no way on the public carwash I would imagine. Actually, never tried, but I would guess the guide bars would rub underneath the bumper cover.
Dan

Quick Reply: X74 suspension pricing?