Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is It Safe with Just the Rear End Lifted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Safe with Just the Rear End Lifted?

I'm getting ready to jack the rear of my car up and place it on jackstands, leaving the front wheels on the ground.
I will be working under the rear end, removing my mufflers, and I am wondering if it is safe to have the car inclined on one end.
I expect some twisting and pulling with the mufflers, and am concerned with the stability of the car on the 2 jackstands on the rear end.

I just want to have some reassurance from those of you who may have done this.
I will definitely be choking the front wheels.
Do I need to engage the parking brake? Does that help, or do those only affect the rear wheels?
Perhaps I should also place some bricks or pieces of wood under the tires, just in case the car slips off the jackstands?

Thank You All!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll ask my wife.

I've done this with front and rear... just make sure you don't damage the front end if you're going to jack it up high.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riad

I'll ask my wife.
LOL!!! How about some rear end downforce, riad?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I'll ask my wife.
You Bastard!..........
Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll ask my wife.

I've done this with front and rear... just make sure you don't damage the front end if you're going to jack it up high.

PICS or ban

BTW parking brakes are only held at the rear wheels
Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
PICS or ban

I'd have a better chance of shooting pictures of big foot banging the loch ness monster.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it's not very safe. As mentioned above, the park brake will not keep the car from rolling and obviously putting the car in gear will have no effect. At a minimum make sure you do a very good job of blocking the front tires. Also, put the car on stands but leave the jack under the engine.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Well I think the only answers you are going to get here are from people that say it is not safe, for those that thought it was safe, well they cannot reply

My experience when wanting to do this with other cars is to jack the entire car up and support it with very sturdy stands in great places. By only having the back jacked-up, leaving the jack under the car is a good precaution. The chocks in front and behind the front wheels are good to do also, use real chocks not pieces of wood IMHO. Yep the parking brake and in gear won't do a thing for you.

Better yet, use a lift
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rather than jackstands, may I suggest

If you are just going to remove the mufflers,then driving the rear wheels up on ramps instead may be easier and safer. If the rear wheels are up on rams you can set the emergency brake. You should still block the front wheels.

You will want to remove the bumper cover and the muffler heat shields to make it easy to get at the mufflers. (10 minutes tops for this step)

This is the way I did it when I installed my PSE, and it worked great.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Well, I think you are right, SD...so much for lawsuit-happy America!
I just wanted opinions, especialy from those who have done it that way.
I wouldn't blame anyone if the car fell off and crushed me!?

I'm going ahead with it, can't wait, I keep hearing those cans screaming to be taken off....
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pics, Gary! Wow, that would be great...with all that room to work around.
I will jack the car up first and look at the situation, if I can do without the bumper removal,
I'll skip that step. But that does look really easy with everything out of the way.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Thanks for the pics, Gary! Wow, that would be great...with all that room to work around.
I will jack the car up first and look at the situation, if I can do without the bumper removal,
I'll skip that step. But that does look really easy with everything out of the way.
FYI...I did my muffler swap out on a lift and did not have to remove the bumper. Only had to roll the car back until the ramps of the lift did not block the area to drop the mufflers out of. GL and be safe.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
BTW, I use the same ramps and they're great. For the car, not my wife, I have different ramps for my wife.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

OK... I did the muffler swap with only the rear end on stands and the front wheels chocked...... The important thing to remember is to CHOCK the wheels......... IMHO Flame suit on and zipped.....

Also it is very helpful to remove the rear tires to extract the stock cans when doing the muffler swap.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default There are essentially 2 ways to R&R mufflers

One way is to put the rear of the car up on jack stands, take off the rear wheels, and manhandle the mufflers off.

The other way is to drive the rear wheels up on ramps, remove the bumper cover and muffler heat shields, and then remove the mufflers.

In both cases, the muffler bracket requires you to crawl under the engine to get at the 3 bolts on each bracket. The number of screws or bolts to remove is a wash for both methods.

I prefer the 2nd method simply because it is easier to install and align the new mufflers with the bumper cover and heat shields out of the way.

Quick Reply: Is It Safe with Just the Rear End Lifted?