Sponsored by:

Porsche Tranny Oil - Renamed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Tranny Oil - Renamed?

This is a write-up from the company that I bought my tranny oil from last year. Since then they have listed the Mobilube SHC gear oil as no longer available and state that Mobil Delvac 75W-90 is the direct replacement:
http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

The replacement for the Mobilube 75W-90 SHC gear lube. Delvac has been market name used in USA towards the semi/fleet maintenance market segment. Hard to find in gallon containers, but we stock it.

Original fill in 996/997 GT3/Cup cars, and GT3Rs. Works well in all 901, 915, G50, G96 gearboxes. Used extensively in Porsche Motorsport products in every grueling test there can be LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. We also use it in our service department in all street and race cars. Works in cars with or without (LSD) limited slip differentials.

Great lube, surpasses all others in research and development.

Mobil Delvac 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricant engineered to meet the most demanding extended drain and OEM warranty requirements. These products are designed for use in heavy duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected. The state-of-the-art technology in Mobil Delvac 75W-90 delivers unequalled performance for low and high temperature applications, including outstanding oxidation stability, wear protection, corrosion resistance, improved shear stability, extended service capability, and excellent fuel economy.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Swing on over to the GT3 forum. We have beat this horse to death. It is the oil alot of us are using.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Okay, this is great timing. I was just about to try to track down the Mobilube. Where are people picking this up at? Dealer, Indie, big box store?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Quite a few people that have tried SHC/Delvac have gone to the expense of swapping it back out for the factory Mobilube PTX available from Porsche dealerships or trying other lubes. The internals of any of the Porsche motorsports gearboxes are of a different construction and material type (brass versus steel syncros, gears, etc.) so don't base your buying decisions on recommendations made for those products. And for a regular non-G50 style 996 transmission you might be better off sticking with the Shell Transaxle fluid that all the dealers are using.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Quite a few people that have tried SHC/Delvac have gone to the expense of swapping it back out for the factory Mobilube PTX available from Porsche dealerships or trying other lubes. The internals of any of the Porsche motorsports gearboxes are of a different construction and material type (brass versus steel syncros, gears, etc.) so don't base your buying decisions on recommendations made for those products. And for a regular non-G50 style 996 transmission you might be better off sticking with the Shell Transaxle fluid that all the dealers are using.
Yeah, I would stick with the Mobil1 LS 75W-90 you can get from an auto parts store or just use the Shell stuff from the dealer. For the GT3, I would use the Delvac.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yeah, I would stick with the Mobil1 LS 75W-90 you can get from an auto parts store or just use the Shell stuff from the dealer. For the GT3, I would use the Delvac.
The LS product left me with a cold start 1-2 crunch that SHC couldn't fix. So for an unmolested (i.e. no steel syncros) GT3 gearbox I think you still might be better off with PTX?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

PTX would be the best but dealers RARELY cary it since it only comes in the 20L containers and there are not many GT3's coming into the shops for tranny oil changes to make it cost effective. I haven't used the Mobil LS75-90 (on the right in your pic).

The Delvac is the same as the SHC just relabeled as you can't get the SHC anymore.

Not sure I follow what you are getting at. Are you saying you changed your factory fill to the LS and then to SHC? What car are we talking about?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
What ... are we talking about?
In my case it was a G50.05 but the others include a G50.21, G64.51, G96.50 and a G96.90. The last four all share the same syncros. I'm sure Adrian has been collecting info on the G96.01 and would be the person to ask for that. If someone has had problems with the regular 996 gearbox he's probably heard about it. I'm just suggesting people stay with the Porsche spec'ed fluid rather than try something that was recommended for a completely different transmission.

Quick Reply: Porsche Tranny Oil - Renamed?