Sponsored by:

Dragstrip/Holeshot Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Jackel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragstrip/Holeshot Questions...

I was wondering, what things on a 2001 C4 Cabriolet should be "hardened" for drag racing?

The shift linkage, the clutch or flywheel, or what?

I was thinking of adding a Supercharger down the road and have heard stories of broken shift linkages, etc. from other drivers at the local speedway. I would like to "bulletproof" my car as much as I can for both occassional drag strip trips and for all-season daily driving...

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated!
I know things can break, but can a Porsche actually be used regularly for the occassional "test and tune" night? I'll probably be getting the new Hayabusa (motorcycle) anyway and can always race it instead, but I'd like to have no/little worry about a few quick runs from a stop (both on the street and, maybe, at the track).

Also, I've noticed that a high RPM launch (above 4k) seems to cause the Computer to "turn off the juice" and slow the car for a little while...
Is this normal? If so is there a limiter/tune I can do, or is it good that the computer is shutting me down (PSM was off) and I just shouldn't do that!
I am very easy on it almost all the time, but I've test driven Subarus and Mitsubishis and they didn't do this (they jump from 6k no problem)...

Thanks in advance, I love it as a daily driver and will not take it to race unless/until I can figure these things out and make sure its ready...
Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackel
I was wondering, what things on a 2001 C4 Cabriolet should be "hardened" for drag racing?

Thanks in advance, I love it as a daily driver and will not take it to race unless/until I can figure these things out and make sure its ready...
A drag racing daily driver? hmmmm. IMO, P's are for the track. If you want a car to just drag race, you should have a mustang

-td
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 AM
rcronin
Advanced

If I have seen one comment that is the most common across all the p-car sites is that this car is NOT designed or set up to be a drag car. It's a sure way to make a short life of it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd look at the clutch if I were you.

Find a good Porsche transmission shop in your area (search the ad's in Excellence) and they should be able to make recommendations and help.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Fatten your wallet and get an Indy to sponsor you. You will need both!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Seriously? I mean, I thought you were joking.

Drag racing a 911? I've never heard of such a thing. That's what American and Asian cars are for, like the Mustang GT or whatever purple-winged glo-mobile is parked in front of the nearest mall.

If you want to race a 911, I think you should find a course with curves.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

yeah, listen to the above, especially about finding a clutch shop your going to need it. Then get some very large racing slicks, tub the rear fenders, dont forget the wheelie bar and the parachute, and tell Shirley Muldowney WAAAASSSUUUUPPP! and ill be at the big boys track!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:30 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Then get some very large racing slicks, tub the rear fenders, dont forget the wheelie bar and the parachute
All he really needs to do is jack up the body and drive a modified Nova under it
Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

True, I guess that would include the Hurst 3 speed I forgot to mention......
Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

White shoe polish, wheelie bars and a chute. Oh and get an old Mustang for a road race car. One with a big steering wheel.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe that Alex "Sharkey" from Sharkwerks has some experience with a 996 tt at the dragstrip...I'm sure he could help you out. I think it's great that you want to take the Porsche to the dragstrip. Sure, it was made for going around corners....they are also fast in a straight line. I sold my Mustang after I finished rebuilding my Porsche. The Mustang was a little bit faster in a straight line...the Porsche does everything else better. I can't wait till my kids are old enough to run my Porsche at the Sacramento Raceway and Thunderhill. Going fast in a Porsche is fun no matter where you do it. Our Porsches in stock form will put most 60's muscle cars to shame in the 1/4 mile.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DE bullies... LOL!!

You're going to have to slip the clutch a little, the car will "bog"/ "stall" trying to dump at 4k since the engine is in the rear. Or maybe roll through the water without a burn out on your way to stage.

You might has well practice on your stock clutch until you burn it out, which wont take long, then upgrade to a Sach's Stage Clutch. I'd keep the stock flywheel to help keep the RPMs up during upshifts.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default You can't bulletproof it. It has been a long time since I did any track stuff...

The shift linkage, the clutch or flywheel, or what?

I was thinking of adding a Supercharger down the road and have heard stories of broken shift linkages, etc. from other drivers at the local speedway. I would like to "bulletproof" my car as much as I can for both occassional drag strip trips and for all-season daily driving...

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated!
I know things can break, but can a Porsche actually be used regularly for the occassional "test and tune" night? I'll probably be getting the new Hayabusa (motorcycle) anyway and can always race it instead, but I'd like to have no/little worry about a few quick runs from a stop (both on the street and, maybe, at the track).

Also, I've noticed that a high RPM launch (above 4k) seems to cause the Computer to "turn off the juice" and slow the car for a little while...
Is this normal? If so is there a limiter/tune I can do, or is it good that the computer is shutting me down (PSM was off) and I just shouldn't do that!
I am very easy on it almost all the time, but I've test driven Subarus and Mitsubishis and they didn't do this (they jump from 6k no problem)...

but the general rule of thumb was for every hour of track time, the car (and before that a motorcycle) requires an hour (at least) of wrenching. It depends upon the level of activity. A trip once or twice a year is a bit easier to deal with before and after than every weekend.

You can replace the shifter with a heavy one.

Other things, like half-shafts, CV joints, you'll just have to keep an eye on and be prepared to replace when they shows signs (visually or audibly) of having had enough.

It goes without saying that the engine/tranny/diff should be treated to more frequent oil/filter/fluid changes if you want to minimize wear/tear on these items.

Even then, not unknown for the car to launch strong time after time with no signs of trouble until the last launch leaves the tranny, rear end or even engine sitting on the pavement at the starting line. (Brother of a friend gave up -- finally -- racing a Corvette cause he and his partener who actually owned the car got tired to rebuilding rear of car when rear end tore out after one too many drag starts. Pulled the 427ci out, put in a fresh 396ci and the partner sold the car.)

After the engine/drive train you'll have to be concerned about what the extra stress will do the the body/chassis. With a convertible, sans a good roll cage to stiffen things up considerably, body integrity (quietness mainly) will suffer.

Odd rattles, squeaks, etc., will come/go.

Usually come when you can least stand the noise and can't do anything about it and go when you can do something about, or would like to if only the noise would return.

Frankly, while the car can be dragged raced is no sign it should be. 'course, it is your car.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you going to do about wheel hop off the line? Hole shots with the stock set up will be tricky at best.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Jackel
Instructor

LOL! I guess that answers my question!

I didn't think it was durable enough to race at the strip. I think something like the motorcycle is the answer. I'll pass on modding it up and just keep it as a ride TO Bandimere Speedway and as the best daily driver ever!
I am curious on why it doesn't like to "jack rabbit" off the line. It seems that is where the big speed advantage is for AWD. Oh well, I love the car and it does awesome in all weather conditions (unlike a Nova
Besides, high RPM launches will eventually take their toll on any car I suppose...

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply: Dragstrip/Holeshot Questions...