Sponsored by:

Driver's Ed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Ed Crash

I recently attended a BMW DE event at NHIS and got hit by another car. The indiviual, who was apologetic, said he was trying to stay with me to watch my line I was running. As a result he tried to late brake at 115mph and instead looped the car, hit the wall, hit me and then the wall again. His once really nice M3 track car is now completely totaled and my car is banged up. I would have to say that the accident sucks but the inconvenience is more the problem at this point.

Driving on the track is one of the greatest things that I have done and I recommend it to everyone. When you drive on the track please think of others, think about the amount of money you are driving and don't drive above your head because you are not the only guy out there.

As for the BMW DE Events, it is very disorganized and the groupings are very poorly setup. The speed differentials are huge because if it has wheels the BMW club will let it run and if you tell them that you can drive they will let you run in any group you want.

My question to this Forum is what are you feelings about insurance. Should we as drivers be required on the track to carry insurance for the situation that we hit some else they are covered? I understand that racing is completely different and would not apply. How about DE track days?

I have insurance and the means to fix the car. If I hit someone else I would fix that car I hit b/c as a person I feel that it was my fault, my responsibility. The guy who hit me has no insurance and does not have the means.

With all that being said, drive fast, take chances and enjoy you cars.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Man, that sucks! I'd be livid that he was driving without track insurance. Livid that the club let him drive without insurance, or proof that he could cover damages.

That being said, when you take your car out on the track you have to be ready that you or someone else will cause it some serious damage and insurance will not cover it. From that perspective it's good that you have the means to cover this.

Overall, the damage doesn't look too bad - a new rear bumper and tail lights - could have been way worse.

I'd say that if the guy that did the damage cannot pay, then live, learn and move on.

Repair the damage and stay well away from the BMWs.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

That sucks, doubly so because the other guy had no insurance! Have you had the damages to your car appraised? From the pic it damage appears to be relatively superficial, but there could be some "hidden" damage to the car (i.e. frame, suspension, etc.) Good luck with the repair.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a MAJOR bummer. I have thought about this scenario nearly every time I drive on track. I have DE insurance but I am quite sure it covers only my car. In the ideal scenario that everyone on the track has similar insurance I guess that could work. What about blame, responsibility, etc.? You say you would cover someone else's damage if you felt it was your fault. I think that is noble and smart and I would endeavor to do the same. A good deal of people, however, could not afford to do that even if they felt it the correct thing to do. Good luck with the repair and I am curious how you left off with the BMW owner.....I mean "sorry and good bye??"
Old 07-08-2007, 11:45 AM
dave1200
Pro

If its a Real DE with intructors... your car is coverd with your insurance..

Im with State Farm, and I call ed then not 2 weeks ago to be sure. The officla anser i got was as long as its in the US, and its not an official competive event, your car is covered.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
RamVA
Racer

Let's not get carried away. I agree with the OP's position, and that I would try to figure out a way to make it right. With that said, car-to-car contact is exceptionally rare in DE, and requiring track day insurance of everyone might be a bit extreme. You have to understand the risks going in, and make your own decisions about how to protect yourself financially.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:33 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the first to say it. I'm relieved to hear that both drivers were not seriously hurt.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I think you're letting someone off WAY too lightly. What happened to his "really nice M3 track car" that's completely totalled? I'll bet the parts off a totalled M3 of any vintage would be enough to cover the repair on your car.

I wouldn't be so quick to believe that someone doesn't have the means to fix your car. The guy had the means to take a nicely-prepared M3 to an organized event but can't come up with any way to fix your car?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nmercier853
The guy who hit me has no insurance and does not have the means.
Does the guy live in Massachusetts?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

He lives here in NH and as for RamVA response, the risk is completely understand but if you are driving above your ability, it is noted by the BMW Chapter of the reason for the innicident was your fault then that shoud be enough to warrant that you are financially responible for the second parties vehicle. i think that people should be required to have insurance for these problems. One can not be accountable for someone else ignorance. That is why we have insurance for street use?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1200
If its a Real DE with intructors... your car is coverd with your insurance..

Im with State Farm, and I call ed then not 2 weeks ago to be sure. The officla anser i got was as long as its in the US, and its not an official competive event, your car is covered.
I have S.F. also, are you saying that standard insurance covers any damage even if it occurs on a track as long as the event is not an official competitive event (such as a drive around track day)?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
RamVA
Racer

My point is/was: You know that when you go on track everyone is NOT required to have insurance. Knowing this you should plan/judge accordingly and purchase insurance as appropriate. This is not to say that the guy in the M3 should be let off the hook, but simply to say that requiring insurance is unlikely to happen and (ultimately) not really necessary given the rarity of car-to-car contact and the ability of everyone on the track to insure themselves if desired.

That said, were I the OP I would go after the guy. A couple of weeks ago my Lotus was whacked in the nose by a 2x4 that had stuck to a car being jacked and then came off on track. Believe me if I knew who the driver was I'd be asking them for my $2700...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I have S.F. also, are you saying that standard insurance covers any damage even if it occurs on a track as long as the event is not an official competitive event (such as a drive around track day)?
This depends on the state and the company. Call to ask.

In many cases you will be covered, but it is not unlikely that your insurance company will drop you after you file a claim.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

First, I'd be real suprised if the normal state farm policy would cover such an incident. Two people I know had their state farm insurance signifcantly modified when the company found out they tracked their cars. A clause was specifically written that negated the insurance if the car was at any sanctioned event (SCCA, PCA, BMW...) regardless of competition.

Second, after being an instructor for 6 years, our region safety teams have never allowed cars to get close enough to have something like this happen in a run group without clear parameters. I beleive the BMW club should be held partially responsible for allowing an unsafe condition.

Third, this guy's reasoning for following so close is bunk. You can follow someone's line from hundreds of feet back. Why was he trying late brake if he was 'following your line?' Why? becuse he was trying to catch you, got tunnel vison and forgot what he was doing. The guy in the M3 was not being safe and should be severly counseled if he ever has the nads to return.

Run groups that are allowed to run close enough to make contact should be clearly discussed in the driver's meetings. The drivers of those groups should clearly understand what the ROEs are. Those groups, at least where we are, know each other very well and know each other's capabilities.

BOTTOM LINE: A well run DE should not have cars hitting each other. That is the fault of the organizers and corner workers. That's the whole idea of DE's vs. racing. The risks are known by everyone.

And, by the way, forcing everyone to have insurance for these things becomes VERY problematic. PCA has looked at this and has decided not to pursue it.

FLAME if you want but we have had over 15 years of non-accident DEs in our region and it's a testiment to the members of our safety teams and organizers.

Last edited by LTCMontana; 07-08-2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 968iniraq
BOTTOM LINE: A well run DE should not have cars hitting each other. That is the fault of the organizers and corner workers.

FLAME if you want but we have had over 15 years of non-accident DEs in our region and it's a testiment to the members of our safety teams and organizers.
+100

There was negligence here and it would amaze me if there's no recourse. Someone made the valid point that how come he cannot afford to pay if he runs a well maintained M3 and can afford to attend DE.

Quick Reply: Driver's Ed Crash