Sponsored by:

Driver's Ed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apology in advance for extending this painful thread but I came in late and have a different angle: How exactly did this hit happen?

I drive NHIS a fair amount, mostly in SCCA/ITE (put me in the racer "you're on your own" group) and I can't visualize how the other guy could be following a car down the main straight and into turn 1 (only place he could touch 115 with an M3), lose the car, hit the wall and then still carry enough speed to hit the car he was following?

I don't want to rehash a bad memory but I'm just curious how it happened.

As far as BMWCCA events go (at least at NHIS), they are a bit schitzophrenic. They seem even more oriented toward the "E" part of DE than PCA is with a mandatory first ride with an instructor (that didn't work well with my ITE car) each day no matter what group/skill you are and mandatory class sessions for all groups. On the other hand they have had "unrestricted passing" at some events where you can take a point by anywhere for drivers who attend a short slide show. This was touted as a small step toward club racing.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
tennktm
Advanced

All very interesting.......my comment is that if you are putting your car on the track you assume some risk. Tracking a Porsche is what I would consider a "big boy" sport....not for the faint at heart, nor for those who cannot accept reposibility for things that occur on a track....ie...wrecks caused by others. You know going into it that some bonehead might get you and if you do not like that, then you stay off the track........it must be consistent....ie....people repair their own rides, even if it is the fault of another......I heard several cars went off the track at ATL recently when a GT3 blew an oil line....apparently the car had problems the day before that they could not locate, then pop goes the line with several cars off the track.....should the GT3 owner pay for all of the damage? Racing, tracking, etc. is a very high risk sport from many perspectives........if you cannot assume the risk, then stay off the track.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
MikeRosen
Instructor

The only thing I would add is that not all BMW DEs are poorly organized and/or run. The ones I have been to are as well run as any other PCA or Audi DE. Furthermore, their instructor training program is as thorough as any I've seen, and I've been throught a PCA and Audi program.

The accident is very unfortunate. This DE may have been very poorly run. However, it does not follow generally that the BMW Club puts on poor DEs.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I'll say something new: the M3 driver was a jerk, before and after the incident.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just read through this whole thing.

I've now been in 2 situations first hand along with witnessing many incidents over the last 12 years I've been going to various tracks.

What I've learned top 10 (sorry to re-iterate some stuff but I have some new points too):

1) Can't stand the idea of your car getting damaged? DON'T be at the track then!

2) Do not assume people pay attention to the waiver and you might have to remind them. Never expect or demand someone else to pay for damages to your own car regardless of circumstances when at any track.

3) The comment someone made ealier about 'a little kindness goes a long way' does not always hold true regardless of who might be at fault (which also depends on perspective, etc.). Case in point, I was trying to be nice and I provided the name and phone number of body shop which would provide close to employee discount on parts and labor and it was assumed by the other party that I would automaticly pay for getting his car fixed (I refuse to go into any more detail here or claim any fault from either party BTW).

4) Definition of 'accident' is clear as is 'no fault' waiver but many will argue it through the end of time.

5) Many people are delusional or just plain arrogant to think they can go their whole life going to DEs or any track event and never be involved in an incident.

6) Don't just be prepared to pay for your own car, but know the track rules and be ready to have to pay tow fees, armco fees, tirewall replacement fees and even other things you might never dream of like the turf (aka exotic golf quality grass at Barber), or even getting a bill for repaving a portion of track! (If heard and seen many things happen from being charged for grass to replacing a tire wall and no it wasn't me that had to pay but I know it can happen and probably will eventually).

7) Remember that the majority of people do tend to share the same philosophy at the track and would never once expect or demand someone else pay for damages regardless of fault but a few 'rotton apples' stand out and might end up ruining a moment, etc.

8) If you feel unsafe at an event, communicate your thoughts to those in charge (try to be constructive instead of condescending) and try to help make it better by offering to help (like maybe you need to offer to give a talk in the classroom or set up some cones for aids on the track, etc.)

9) Invest your hard earned money in safety equipment because it goes a long way! (basics like fire extinguister, harnesses, seats, hans, roll bar or whatever you can afford, etc.). If you had an incident at the track and you were able to drive home and are uninjured, you had an 'oh well' day! if you can't drive the car home but you are uninjured, be happy that the safety equipment worked and your alive to enjoy another day at the track!

10) Don't let an incident stop you from enjoying what you love to do. Learn from it and 'get back on the horse' so-to-speak and go out and HAVE FUN!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was hit once at the track event (in my corvette) That's the reason I don't track my C4S.

It was the other guys fault, he drove into me (I had an in car camera and had it on tape). Luckily the damage was cosmetic and I was able to fix it myself.

Quick Reply: Driver's Ed Crash