99 996 in AZ, Overheating.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 996 in AZ, Overheating.....

Hey everyone,

I have a 99 996 c2 with fabspeed exhaust and evoms intake. I have an oil change etc scheduled for the 30th. This is my first summer. It is also my DD. On the way home when traffic is stop and go it goes up to the edge of the temp guage and the AC shuts down. When traffic starts moving and the car is running at a higher speed it cools down. Do you think I am low on fluids or is this normal. What can I do. It is 109 and is hell without AC. I haven't had to stop the car on the road yet, but is it near!!!!!

Thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 12:04 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that's a '99? Sounds like an air cooled! JK...sounds like you have a coolant issue,,,go figure...thermostat?...I'll let the others elaborate.....no clue over here.

J
Old 06-16-2007, 12:41 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Somebody help me!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to get it checked. I run in the middle of the "0" or almost to the right side of the "0" in slow traffic in Tucson/PHX. I cleaned out the radiators which I really think helped. You might want to look into that.

If you're maxing out the guage you REALLY need to look at it getting checked before it's too late.

Hope that helps.

FWIW my AC does not shut down. And that's when it's mid August on the 101 in rush hour.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 AM
AsianImage
Racer

same the rest...sitting in LA traffic...my needle hovers around the O..and maybe to the right like the above.

But..I did the fan mod..so I switch does on. Also...I think I read on here that once the AC is on...the fans turn on automatically. I noticed when I had the AC on even in stand still traffic the cars is COOLER.

So...yeah the AC shutting down is an issue. Shouldnt happen...at least I dont think.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Back a few years ago in my '99 C2 one of the radiator/condensor cooling fans failed while traveling across AR in August, HOT/HUMID. Didn't take long for me to figure out that I could dramatically reduce the heat load on the engine radiator/cooling system by running the A/C at maximum cooling and recirculate while using, adjusting the blower speed to control the cabin comfort level.

Drove all the way home to Seattle that way.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Hey everyone,

I have a 99 996 c2 with fabspeed exhaust and evoms intake. I have an oil change etc scheduled for the 30th. This is my first summer. It is also my DD. On the way home when traffic is stop and go it goes up to the edge of the temp guage and the AC shuts down. When traffic starts moving and the car is running at a higher speed it cools down. Do you think I am low on fluids or is this normal. What can I do. It is 109 and is hell without AC. I haven't had to stop the car on the road yet, but is it near!!!!!

Thanks
After 8 years, your radiators are probably full of junk. One highly recommended fix is to clean your radiators. Do a search on this, and you'll come up with lots of testimonials to cleaning your radiators. This will require you to take off the front bumper, and then the air conditioner heat exchangers. The writeup below is a GREAT help if you are going to clean it.

Also, Loren at Renntech has a sweet writeup for installing a third radiator. I just added one myself - cost was $900 for parts and installation (by Ruf). I probably could have saved a bunch if I did the install myself. But, I'm lazy... You can follow his advice for removal and cleaning, even if you don't want to install the 3rd radiator. (Also if you are not a renntech member, pony up the $ - it's well worth it!)

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Por.../Radiator.html
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70&hl=radiator

-td
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with td73...RennTech is worth visiting and contributing. Reference your car running hot....somehting's wrong, and it doesn't sound like debris in the radiators. To have it get that hot is indicative of the need to get it in for a checkup. I wasn't aware that the AC would shutt down, but I can understand that from an engineering standpoint, Porsche would want to be able to shut down the AC in order to reduce drag on the engine and help cool it down. I've never heard of anyone having their AC go off like that.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:35 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts

Are the fans working? They should be kicking on when the car is that hot. They're pretty easy to hear even with the windows up. When I'm stopped, mine blow up dust or leaves that's sitting on the road. If the fans are running, I'd agree that your radiators are blocked with road debris.

If you're low on fluid, the temp light should flash even when the engine is running & cool. You can also tell by pointing a flashlight at the coolant jug when the car is cold. The fluid should come up to the marker line. If it's dry in the jug, you're low.

Even on the hottest days in traffic, my temp gage only moves to the right of the zero - max. I have the 3rd radiator but I did it to keep the car cool while running at the track. Even before I installed it, the car didn't overheat in PHX traffic. AC kicking off sound like something electrical.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Thanks fellas, especially those with az traffic experience. Im on my way to check it out now, if not, off to the dreaded dealer..........
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Michael-If your in the Phoenix area there is an outstanding shop in Tempe called www.redlinewins.com. I don't know their number as I'm out of town. I think you can find them in the book under Red Line Motorsports-ask for Robert or Jim. Robert is Porsche trained and is extrememly knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

Roger B.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have never had the bumper cover removed, and the 2 radiators on each side (4 total) cleaned then there is a 90% chance that they are finally clogged with enough crap that the air flow is blocked.

Here is the pictures of my neighbors 99 996 that we cleaned out this past year. This is what 8 years of driving in the southwest will suck into your car.

This is the front of the first radiator or actually the air-conditioner condenser

This is the front of the engine coolant radiator, which is behind the air-conditioner condenser. You have to unfasten the 2 and spread them apart to properly clean this radiator.

This is a good job for spray degreaser and a pressure washer with a low pressure nozzle.

This should be done to all 996/997/986/987 type cars at least every 5 years, or sooner in areas if the car is driven primarily in rural or suburban areas.

It is not that hard to do, it is essentially taking the front bumper cover and the air ducts off, and cleaning off both radiators on each side.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I just did a full coolant flush as recommended by a renntech user. The simple method. The car seems to be running cooler, ill know better after work. Now, the high side of the temp guage is flashing red, although im only running at the right edge of the zeron on 180. What does this mean?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
I just did a full coolant flush as recommended by a renntech user. The simple method. The car seems to be running cooler, ill know better after work. Now, the high side of the temp guage is flashing red, although im only running at the right edge of the zeron on 180. What does this mean?
According to the owner's manual (never a bad thing to consult when it comes to the gauges), that means low coolant or a fault in the engine compartment blower (fan).
Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As Doug said, it probably is low coolant in the reseviour. There is a sensor installed in the bottom of the tank that will activate the flashing light when coolant is low. It may take several fill ups of the tank before all air is removed from the system. It is faster if you park the car after a run, nose down and open the bleeder valve.

BTW: Although a coolant change is good for the system, do not expect the engine to run any cooler than it did before simply because you have new antifreeze.

Quick Reply: 99 996 in AZ, Overheating.....