Sponsored by:

99 996 in AZ, Overheating.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
As Doug said, it probably is low coolant in the reseviour. There is a sensor installed in the bottom of the tank that will activate the flashing light when coolant is low. It may take several fill ups of the tank before all air is removed from the system. It is faster if you park the car after a run, nose down and open the bleeder valve.

BTW: Although a coolant change is good for the system, do not expect the engine to run any cooler than it did before simply because you have new antifreeze.
What do you think the problem could be?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
What do you think the problem could be?

Your high coolant temperature is caused by various design flaws with the 996. The 2 biggest flaws include the restriction in the amount of air that can pass over the radiators at slow speeds and the fact that the radiator fan sensors turn on the fans too late and at too high of a temperature. Another contributing factor is the poor quaity of the water pump which causes it to wear quite quickly, thereby reducing the volume of coolant flow at low engine rpms. You'll identify this problem by increasing engine rpms to 1500 and watchiing the coolant temperature drop. The engine was designed to run between 190F - 200F in all conditions.

These temperatures can easily be maintained by doing my radiator fan mod which allows you to run the fans at high speed when needed. At speeds below 60 mph, there is not enough air flow to keep the coolant at the targeted temperature unless the fans are engaged.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 188 Posts

I just did a full coolant flush as recommended by a renntech user. The simple method. The car seems to be running cooler, ill know better after work. Now, the high side of the temp guage is flashing red, although im only running at the right edge of the zeron on 180. What does this mean?
It's no surprise that the temp light is flashing after a coolant flush. It is a PIA to get all of the air out of the system. It might take a full six-pack of beer with the engine idling and adding fluid now and then. Oh yeah - add the beer to you not the motor - then wait till tomorrow for a test drive.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Your high coolant temperature is caused by various design flaws with the 996. The 2 biggest flaws include the restriction in the amount of air that can pass over the radiators at slow speeds and the fact that the radiator fan sensors turn on the fans too late and at too high of a temperature. Another contributing factor is the poor quaity of the water pump which causes it to wear quite quickly, thereby reducing the volume of coolant flow at low engine rpms. You'll identify this problem by increasing engine rpms to 1500 and watchiing the coolant temperature drop. The engine was designed to run between 190F - 200F in all conditions.

These temperatures can easily be maintained by doing my radiator fan mod which allows you to run the fans at high speed when needed. At speeds below 60 mph, there is not enough air flow to keep the coolant at the targeted temperature unless the fans are engaged.
Thanks for the info everyone, specifically where can this fan mod be found and how much did it run you to perform?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Thanks for the info everyone, specifically where can this fan mod be found and how much did it run you to perform?

Radiator Fan and Engine Compartment Fan Switch Mod

The 3.4 996 runs extremely hot when driving around town in temperatures higher than 75 degrees. This mod is a way to reduce coolant temps back to a safer level, helping to reduce oil temps and improving performance.

The mod consists of installing a switch that will allow you to turn on the high speed radiator fans at any time, while maintaining the automatic operation of the fans. We do the same for the engine compartment fan.

Radiator Fans

Connect a wire to the ground of the 2 high speed fan relays located on the relay carrier located in the driver’s side foot well. The relays are #20 and #22. Feed this wire to where your switch will be located. Connect the wire to one side of the switch. Connect another wire from the other contact on the switch and then connect the other end of this wire to a chassis ground point.

With key on, this switch will now immediately turn on both radiator fans providing maximum cooling. When you turn the key off, the fans will continue to run for about 5 seconds until the relay shuts down. Your fan operation remains normal when the switch is off.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW: Although a coolant change is good for the system, do not expect the engine to run any cooler than it did before simply because you have new antifreeze.
Double that. Changing the coolant will certainly replenish the anti-corrosve properties of the coolant, but won't solve your root problem which is most probably blocked airflow on the front radiators.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again, the car went up to about 220-230 today and I sh!$ my pants. If there are issues above 75 degrees, 108 didnt look very good. Looks like my next mod. Did you use a generic switch or a porsche switch? Any pics of the process or are they in the thread?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Thanks again, the car went up to about 220-230 today and I sh!$ my pants. If there are issues above 75 degrees, 108 didnt look very good. Looks like my next mod. Did you use a generic switch or a porsche switch? Any pics of the process or are they in the thread?
I posted pictures somewhere on here a long time ago. I used generic switches installed in the batwing only because I was too lazy to go to Porsche for one of their switches. Others have used Porsche switches. I'm almost done making them automatic based on vehicle speed.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael,
I really do suggest getting the issue fixed before these high temps you're experiencing kills your motor. 220-230 is really high, high enough that personally, I'd would not want to take it out until it's under control.

Clean out the radiators and check the fluid levels, do what you can on your own, after that let some one else look at it before we see a new post from you about where the best engine rebuilders are in Phoenix.

Personally, I was worried about the high temps in AZ on my car and ended up moving to a place with a lower average temp....strictly for the car....
Old 06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Clean out the radiators and check the fluid levels, do what you can on your own, after that let some one else look at it before we see a new post from you about where the best engine rebuilders are in Phoenix.
Agree. Your car is sick and you need a proper diagnosis before you take any more medicine. It sure sounds like the radiators are obstructed. If that's true, the fan mod won't help. See if you can find the root cause on your own. If not, get it into the shop. It should never get that hot - even in the full fury of AZ summer! Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Personally, I was worried about the high temps in AZ on my car and ended up moving to a place with a lower average temp....strictly for the car....
Now that's a car guy!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 AM
salat6
AutoX

Default cooling mod

chicago land could you please help me with this mod im in libertyville 847 875 0435 bob do you need 2 switches? where did you ground? can i call you? thanx
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Thats a good question. I was under the impression that you run two wires, one from the first relay and one from the second to a single side of the switch. Then you ground the other side of the switch, si or no?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by salat6
chicago land could you please help me with this mod im in libertyville 847 875 0435 bob do you need 2 switches? where did you ground? can i call you? thanx
Bob, I sent you a message with my Cell number. One switch will turn on both fans.

Quick Reply: 99 996 in AZ, Overheating.....