Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, when I think of value and worth, all I have to do is look at that smile on my face in the rear view when I slip through a few twisties...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue air vs. water is interesting but ridiculous at the same time. I really enjoy and appreciate the 993guys fundamentalism. It is funny, and honestly i think that is a good and healthy thing. I say this without any sarcasm and I respect everyone here at this board. And I really love the 993. In terms of aesthetics it is in fact a winner generation. The number 1 generation, maybe. However for many justifications they give the 993 is a worst car than the 996 or the 997. The 993 and other previous Porsches are getting old and they look old. And feel old. For me every 911 is special. Some models better than other’s (like the RS for ex.) However state that the 993 Type is in generally more special than other Types IMHO is a mistake. I once ride in a 993 4S and the car felt like a pig. A big one. Beautiful but heavy and slow. Before bashing the 996 please get a key…
Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
well, when I think of value and worth, all I have to do is look at that smile on my face in the rear view when I slip through a few twisties...
Sorry bro, but it's all about who's got more ***** and skills than the car there
Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

It's the headlights.

I've noticed that some 993 owners skip the 996 claiming that the 996 is water-cooled, mass-produced, etc. etc... HOWEVER, you see them turn around and buy a 997, which in itself is water-cooled and relatively mass-produced. But why, you ask? It's the headlights.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it is the last of the air cooled cars....it is much nicer looking....it is made much,much,better...it does not look like a boxster....no cheap plastic...sounds better...feels more like a german sports car(not japanese)....more fun to drive...most will say its a proper porsche..engines dont blow up...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joey c
well it is the last of the air cooled cars....it is much nicer looking....it is made much,much,better...it does not look like a boxster....no cheap plastic...sounds better...feels more like a german sports car(not japanese)....more fun to drive...most will say its a proper porsche..engines dont blow up...
please let us know which models in the entire P-Car line had engines that "blow up".

Never understood assinine comments like that without empirical evidence. Just another anectodal follower.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
joey c
Pro

well dell,did 993's have issues that resulted in engine failure...no,yes valve guide issues that are corrected...i had 2 boxsters that had rms issues..1 needed a new engine..i have had 4 friends with 996s..3 of them needed new engines and ALL 4 had rms issue..what i meant by blow up is engine failure..sorry about that..please dont attack ""assinine comment""..its not cool..
Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not buying a NYC apartment and not buying a 993 in the mid 90's. The two biggest mistakes I have ever made. Could have had both for less than $250K back then and today they would have a combined value of $800K - $1Million today.

as far as "simply" lesser numbers of 993's vs. 996 argument: Sounds right in theory but why aren't 914's and 944 ultra expensive? Its not just about the raw numbers on paper or reliability. There is a mystique about the 993 and 928 which is being rewarded in the market. late 60's 356's are also creeping into six figure territory.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Sorry bro, but it's all about who's got more ***** and skills than the car there
Have you actually ever read a post before replying? My sentence was about the the concept of value and worth... it is not about money, air cooled, water cooled, etc. Most of us buy these cars because they are fun and feel good to drive.

Why don't you go back and look at your posts and what percentage of them has something plainly negative or some kind of back handed compliment?? Whats your point?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Hate to let facts intrude on a talmudic debate like this, but a couple of things:

Porsche sold somewhere around 80,000 993s in four years, one of their hottest sellers ever. They are only slightly more rare than 996s because the latter was in production a couple of years longer.

And the engine blowing up thing is, as Dell pointed out, not a constructive comment. Both cars had their problems, and both cars required about the same financial commitment from their owners. Engine failures are more dramatic, but some would say more desirable than the death of a thousand cuts that a troublesome 993 can inflict.

I just never get this debate.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmarch
I think you all would admit that the later cars are built to a price. In other words, we have lost some neat things - the way the door sounds when you close it, the gurgling of the oil, returning to the oil tank, etc. This is all great stuff. On the other hand, we've really progressed. The later cars are certainly great cars.
. . .and my girlfriend (and others) look at me like I am crazy when I talk about how the doors sound when they close. I started going off the other day about how my 996 just doesn't have the 'Porsche feel' (that my previous 8 Porsches have had) -- I suspect automation is to blame for this? Anyways, when she didn't understand what I meant, I opened and closed the door-- and said "See!!! Hear that?!?!" She rolled her eyes changed the subject.

Good to hear that someone else agrees with me !!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM
care4era
Racer

993 is old. I do not get it either. I like new stuff because technology progresses. It is pure nostalgia and peeps repeating the mantra about air cooled. Who gives a ****. I have seen inside a 993 and it is well, just old looking.

I always look for the newest car that I can afford and would never look backwards. 997 or 993?, you would have to be a fool to take the oldie mouldie one.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by perfectlap

as far as "simply" lesser numbers of 993's vs. 996 argument: Sounds right in theory but why aren't 914's and 944 ultra expensive? Its not just about the raw numbers on paper or reliability. There is a mystique about the 993 and 928 which is being rewarded in the market. late 60's 356's are also creeping into six figure territory.
cuz they they're missing the 911 on 'em that's the problem
Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Aerkuld6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by perfectlap
as far as "simply" lesser numbers of 993's vs. 996 argument: Sounds right in theory but why aren't 914's and 944 ultra expensive? ...
Well, the 944's were built in huge numbers, just see how many of those you can find for sale, so that's understandable. The 914, while it might be a great lightweight and good handling car, isn't the prettiest thing that Porsche has ever produced is it?

So it isn't "simply" lesser numbers, it is a combination of low supply and specific demand.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
Have you actually ever read a post before replying? My sentence was about the the concept of value and worth... it is not about money, air cooled, water cooled, etc. Most of us buy these cars because they are fun and feel good to drive.

Why don't you go back and look at your posts and what percentage of them has something plainly negative or some kind of back handed compliment?? Whats your point?
Sorry dude don't get your panties in a bunch don't take it personal as i didn't have my dead poet's society English class deconstructionism glasses on reading your post on an internet car forum

Quick Reply: why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?