996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Now I just have to find a right hand drill.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 08-31-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac

Now I just have to find a right hand drill.
how did you get yours... did you drive to post office? I still don't have mine... they better be sitting on my front door steps when I get home!! I deserve better after putting this whole thing together...
Old 06-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I had to unexpectedly leave work early to visit a doctor, so picked them up from the post office. I'm working at home for the rest of the afternoon.

It's bizarre how UPS and Fedex let you leave a signature for a package, but USPS doesn't not customer friendly.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:25 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine delivered today. Actually I noticed that they attempted delivery yesterday but needed a signature. So I stayed home today.

BTW...postage was 700 Thai Baht (THB) or Taiwanese New Dollars (TWD), not sure which one he used, but that is approximately 22 USD (depending on which convertor you use and when), so the shipping fee of $25.00 was fair.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine yesterday. Today was my birthday, so I took the day off work - got 3 of the 4 installed - need to go out to the hardware store to get longer bolts for the gas pedal.

Drilling the brake pedal was a b*tch.

Wellardmac:
It's bizarre how UPS and Fedex let you leave a signature for a package, but USPS doesn't not customer friendly.
I think it depends upon the local folks. Around here, our regular USPS guy is cool and leaves packages all the time. UPS will leave them unless it says sig required. Fedex will leave em unless it says sig required, and then they'll leave them if you sign the release and leave it for them to pick up the next day - UNLESS someone specifies "signature in person required" - gack - I hate when people do that.. then you HAVE to sign for it, in person, and that means taking a day (or at least a half day) off work..

- Nick
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Got mine yesterday. Today was my birthday, so I took the day off work - got 3 of the 4 installed - need to go out to the hardware store to get longer bolts for the gas pedal.

Drilling the brake pedal was a b*tch.
If you can give tip son how you would do it differently, that would be great also - if you could post on the different bolts that you used, that would be great.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
If you can give tips on how you would do it differently, that would be great also - if you could post on the different bolts that you used, that would be great.
I totally agree because this is a 'group' install and so those of you that are hard at work installing them or have installed them, please let us know what hardware was used for what pedal to make it a success for the others in the group that unfortunately will not get to the install until probably this weekend.

Very much appreciated
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

All,

I just released final details to seller, so all of you should be taken care of (I sent separate email to you earlier tonight). If you don't here from seller in next 48 hours, please let me know and I can try to troubleshoot.

Guess I'm done with my tasks... if only I would have my pedals!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
All,

I just released final details to seller, so all of you should be taken care of (I sent separate email to you earlier tonight). If you don't here from seller in next 48 hours, please let me know and I can try to troubleshoot.

Guess I'm done with my tasks... if only I would have my pedals!
Dutchie...again a BIG THANK YOU for getting this done for us and I hope you do get your pedals soon.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

^ +100 Dutchie, I probably wouldn't have done this mod for a while without you arranging this. Thank you very much.

A bunch of us will be doing the group install this weekend... we'll get this done together.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Another big plus from me Dutchie! I am very happy with the pedals, but most likely won't get to install them until next weekend...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

So what's the next group buy... I need a detailing machine! Can we get 20 guys??
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
bernocco930S
Racer

++ Dutchie! Just PAID my PayPal invoice from Mr. Huang. COOOL!! I am a few steps behind you lucky guys that already have BAD-*** pedals but I am patient. I am still fighting to get my money back from a guy that promised to send me WIDE BODY wheels for my S but instead sent NARROW and of course they hit the front brakes and are not the correct width in the rear. I have no problem waiting for the pedals...... Enjoy guys! I will be back with PIX eric
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.

+100 on the thanks to Dutchie - like the rest, I'm not sure I would have gotten around to this for a while.

As far as install tips, I think the biggest one was the one already given by a previous poster - do the brake first, since it's metal it's hard to drill through - then since the clutch is plastic it's much easier to adjust to get the pedal lined up.

Other than that, a right angle drill isn't strictly necessary but sure helps a lot. As far as hardware, I think everything is fine except the bolts for the lower section of the gas pedal - there are nine nuts, bolts, and washers (for the brake, clutch, and gas pedals), and three screws for the dead pedal since you can't reach behind that. At least in my case, the gas pedal is fairly thick at the base and needs an extra half inch or so so to give you some purchase for the bolt.

For the brake and clutch, I held the pedal up, marked where I needed to drill, drilled the first hole in the pedal, then screwed the pedal on loosely with just the one bolt.. that allowed me adjust the pedal position, then use the pedal itself as template to start drilling the next hole. Then I'd install the pedal with the 2 bolts, and use it again as a template to get the 3rd hole lined up..

I used a little blue loctite on the final assembly since I'm not sure I'd want the brake pedal coming halfway loose and hanging up somewhere while I'm driving..

All in all not too difficult an operation, except for drilling the dolgarned brake pedal.

- Nick
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the guidance.

Now, when you say that you did the brake pedal first, do you mean first (before the gas and dead pedal), or just doing it before the clutch?

Just checking, as my instinct would be to do the dead pedal and gas first, as they would seem to be least adjustable. What am I missing?

Quick Reply: Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals