Sponsored by:

Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Swilliams97
I installed my pedals about two weeks ago. I purchased them just before the group buy . I will give you the benefit of a few things I learned in the install. I didnt like the hardware that came with them so I looked at Home Depot and didnt find what I wanted so I went to my local Ace Hardware and found some black wood screws with a head size similar to the rubber nubs and 3/4 in long to use in installing the gas and dead pedals over the existing rubber pedals. That part was easy. I also got some black machine bolts with allen heads, again flat head , same size as nubs and 3/4 in long. They also had nuts with integrated locking washers which made that easier. All this hardware required drilling out the holes slightly so I could use the larger heads. After thegas and dead pedal were installed, I used sticky foam tape to stick the brake and clutch pedal on and aligned. I probably spent way too much time looking and rechecking from different angles. Once I was satisfied with the alignment I drilled just the bottum hole in each of the pedals and put the bolt in and hand tightened. Then checked to make sure they were level and drilled one of the upper holes and inserted the bolt. This way you can be sure that your holes are aligned so all three bolts will go in properly. Since the pedals are curved, this alignment is crucial. As other have said, a right angle drill makes this job alot easier. Borrow one if you need to. All in all it took aboaut an hour and I am very pleased with the result.

Nice job, that was pretty much what I had in mind.

I'm surprised that you left the rubber in place on the dead and gas pedals. I haven't looked at them yet, but figured that the rubber would strip off.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Nice job, that was pretty much what I had in mind.

I'm surprised that you left the rubber in place on the dead and gas pedals. I haven't looked at them yet, but figured that the rubber would strip off.
This is what I want to get straight before starting! In some of the insall pics I have seen, it looks like the rubber was taken off the brake and clutch pedals. Wouldn't installing over rubber make the pedals feel closer to the driver??
Old 06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wayne - When I installed my pedals a year ago, I left the OEM Gas and Dead Pedals in place and screwed the aluminum pedals on top of them. Much easier and quicker.

Andy - I have never heard of anyone installing the aluminum pedals on top of the rubber clutch and brake pedals.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Wayne - When I installed my pedals a year ago, I left the OEM Gas and Dead Pedals in place and screwed the aluminum pedals on top of them. Much easier and quicker.

Andy - I have never heard of anyone installing the aluminum pedals on top of the rubber clutch and brake pedals.
How about the dead and gas pedals then? Over existing, or remove rubber before installing. Since the new pedals have the rubber backing, I assume taking everything down to bare metal/plastic would make sense?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
How about the dead and gas pedals then? Over existing, or remove rubber before installing. Since the new pedals have the rubber backing, I assume taking everything down to bare metal/plastic would make sense?
Gas and dead pedals have no exiting rubber on them any way - they are just plastic.

So you screw the new Alu hardware directly onto them with the new rubber piece sandwiched in between, as it should be.

Brake and clutch pedals - REMOVE THE EXISTING RUBBER FIRST!

Then install the new pedals with their sandwiched rubber backing.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:54 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Gas and dead pedals have no exiting rubber on them any way - they are just plastic.

So you screw the new Alu hardware directly onto them with the new rubber piece sandwiched in between, as it should be.

Brake and clutch pedals - REMOVE THE EXISTING RUBBER FIRST!

Then install the new pedals with their sandwiched rubber backing.
Got ya! Thanks. Anyone know what size drill bit to use for the final hole to let a #6 screw through with minimum excess room?

Last edited by AndyK; 06-29-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AndyK
Got ya! Thanks. Anyone know what size drill bit to use for the final hole to let a #6 screw through with minimum excess room?

The screws that came with the pedals will take a 1/8th drill bit and the #6 screws that were also recommended will take a 9/64 bit.

I'm intending starting small and working up in size.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The screws that came with the pedals will take a 1/8th drill bit and the #6 screws that were also recommended will take a 9/64 bit.

I'm intending starting small and working up in size.
That's definitely the right approach.

Put down a drop cloth or something in your car to catch the metal fragments from the drilling - you don't want those ingrained in your carpets/mats for ever more!

Drop your driving seat all the way back as well for easy access - and work in the shade if you can.

Hanging upside down in the foot-well can get a little warm as you work!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay, I have the car outside right now and am trying to get the dead pedal in place.

The first thing that I've found is that the upper screw coincides with the the one that holds the dead pedal in place. I'm currently trying to ascertain if any of the screws that I bought will fit in place of the one that's in there so that I can just screw into the same hole without drilling an upper hole. Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, I have the car outside right now and am trying to get the dead pedal in place.

The first thing that I've found is that the upper screw coincides with the the one that holds the dead pedal in place.
Unscrew the one for the dead pedal and use the same hole with a longer screw. That's what I did.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

yeah, I just did that. It took me a while to realize that the #6 screws that I bought fit the hole.

I'll have to buy a flat headed #6 to make the finish look right.

I used the self-tappers that came with the pedals for the 2 lower holes. I'm now working on the alignment of the gas pedal.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Gas pedal done.

Whoever said this was a 1 hour job is way better at this than I am.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Wellardmac]I bought a set of #6 machine bolts (both 1" and 3/4" sizes with flat hex fittings), nuts and locking washers to go with them. I decided against buying black, as I figured that the paint would eventually come off.
QUOTE]

are these 6mm bolts?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gas pedal done.

Whoever said this was a 1 hour job is way better at this than I am.
This post is worthless without pix!!!!!

Just kidding! Good luck with the other 3 pedals!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Done. report later when I get back from the gym.

Quick Reply: Group Buy - Aluminum Pedals