Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wheel, Tyre and Suspension - will this combo work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007 | 02:48 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Default Wheel, Tyre and Suspension - will this combo work?

OK I tried a similar post in the Wheel & Tire forum but no response, so lets see if I can try this from a different angle:

My 1999 996 is shown below with the Aero Kit (top picture - Speed Yellow).

I want to add the Bilstein PSS9 suspension kit to the car, a set of Ruger Sport 19" wheels and tyres as follows:

Front: 19x8.5 offset ET45 with 235/35ZR19

Rear: 19x10.5 offset ET52 with 285/30ZR19

I like this design as it is a 5-spoke, silver with a deep looking highly polished lip (I have included a picture of the wheel and also on a 996 with the Aero Kit).

Please can anyone tell me if this will work out or not, or basically any input will do? I have not had a chance to see what they will look like on my car yet, but I was told that the otehr car did not have any suspension mods done to it, and so I like the stance.

FYI: I have a budget of 5K for wheels, tyres and suspension and the above I can get for under 4K and I can get the suspension installed by a shop I know.

The other option is I get the wheels and tyres and see how that goes (I need to get rid of my current ones they just don't look good on the car). Then address the suspension afterwards.

Thanks in advance, this forum is GREAT!!!
Attached Images   

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 06-07-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I know the gray car you posted with those wheels. It's someone on this forum who sold it.

I'm not a fan of the wheels at all. Porsche 911s need a mesh style center. Five spokes are more for Mustangs. Plus, those are really cheap and cast. I suggest you get a nice set of stock 18" wheels and save up for later when you can get a proper set from the brands I recommended in your other thread.

PSS9s should cost around $2K shipped to you with an additional $1K or so to get it installed, aligned and corner balanced on your car. This leaves you with $2K for wheels/tires. I'd actually try to save up $1-2K more and find a used set FS on Rennlist or 6Speedonline v. getting new no-name brand wheels like the ones above.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:54 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Also, the lip ain't that deep really cuz the center spokes jut out to compensate for the "fake" deep lip if you can even call it deep. True deep is the measurement from the outer-most surface of the center to the edge of the wheel. I've seen some of the cheaper brands pull off "deep" dish by bowing out the center spokes and it looks honestly pretty ghetto fab.

Just know that you can't go very deep on the narrow bodies.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:01 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Benjamin thanks again I like your honesty. I did find another thread similar to mine with the same wheels and the responses were not positive. I have looked at Fikse but yes new they are outrageous in cost. So I will not go for these then, I really do not want another 'ghetto' style wheel on the 996, I need that exotic touch. I do have a link to Wheel Enhancement, any experience with them? They seem to have a lot of wheels to choose from.

OK so I need to get out of the 5-spoke mind set, and yes I own a Mustang too, probably why I lile the style
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:10 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I think the new body Mustangs with a full-on Saleen/Roush treatment look insanely good, though I see way too many of them with undersized wheels or chrome wheels which ruin it. But the proportions are spot on with the aero bits and I'm sure they have a lot of go power.

Anyways, back to Stuttgart...

DO THE SUSPENSION FIRST - it'll make the car look good and handle much better than stock.... then

I'd totally try and scope out a set of quality used wheels. There's absolutely no reason to buy a new set of wheels kinda like a car since you want that 1st owner to take the big initial hit. So when you buy say a $3K set of BBS wheels, you can sell it many times for the same price you bought them (better holding power than the car unfortunately).

Wheel Enhancements seems to be a good dealer. Seriously, check out their offerings. I think a nice set of Champion RG5s would look insanely good on your car and you should consider black as I think black center with polished lip can only be pulled off well on a black car or a yellow car like yours. Silver works on every color.

I remember this one guy was selling a set of Work VS-XX wheels from his narrowbody Carrera. If I had your car, I'd go for those, but they're so hard to come by it's just too long of a wait. I couldn't wait so I went out and just bought a set of new OZ Superleggera 3 wheels from damon@tirerack.com since it's very unlikely any of the more conservative Rennlist guys would be selling these or any others.

Brands to research in no particular order:

1) Champion
2) OZ
3) BBS
4) Work
5) Kinesis - But they got bought out by a chrome loving company called Lexani so it's fading a bit
6) HRE - Check out their Competition line

All of the brands above sell quality wheels. They cost a bit more, but you're getting the reputation, excellent QC, and classically great looks. Try to find a used set, ideally, but it may test your patience. Just do me a favor and don't do the Discount Tire wheels. Get rid of the chrome wheels on the car now pronto with a set of used stock wheels which generally cost around $1K... save up, sell your body, whatever you need to do and get the wheels you REALLY want later that will REALLY set off your nice 911.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:21 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again Benjamin. I have my home work assignment for the next few days, but that is fine as I do not mind spending the time to find the perfect wheel and tyre combination for my car. I also like your thought process about the colour of the wheel for my car, to be different but for it to work is what I want. Again to hit on chrome wheels (which I will not be getting), I do not want someone to say hey nice wheels when they look at the car the first time, I want them to say nice car and then further compliment me on the things that I have done to it.

Maybe I should hit up damon at the tire rack?
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:37 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I may be in position to sell my stock Carrera 5 spokes.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:01 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

blk on blk...thanks but I will have to pass.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:13 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Thanks again Benjamin. I have my home work assignment for the next few days, but that is fine as I do not mind spending the time to find the perfect wheel and tyre combination for my car. I also like your thought process about the colour of the wheel for my car, to be different but for it to work is what I want. Again to hit on chrome wheels (which I will not be getting), I do not want someone to say hey nice wheels when they look at the car the first time, I want them to say nice car and then further compliment me on the things that I have done to it.

Maybe I should hit up damon at the tire rack?
I've bought a number of sets of wheels and tires from Damon and he's always provided timely, expert responses to every inquiry. He is a genuine car fan.

But honestly, ain't nobody going to be able to over that beautiful Speed Yellow 911 aerokit and just say nice rims. The rims, in this case, will be complementary to the main course that is the 911!!!!

SSRs are a good budget wheel as well.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:29 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Benjamin, what do you think about these wheels (manufacturer and model from left to right or top to bottom):

HRE 893
HRE C21

I spoke to Dave at Wheel Enhancement and these can be made to order as follows:

Front: 8.5x19 with 235/30/19
Rear: 11x19 with 315/25/19

I am looking at having the center painted Black. These are not cheap wheels:
Attached Images   
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:41 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Those are fantastic wheels, but that's definitely stretching your budget by a few grand!

If you're looking at those, take a look at the wheels on my car - Damon sells them - OZ 3s, fully press forged.

Old 06-06-2007 | 06:42 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Old 06-06-2007 | 06:45 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Sweeet wheels...OK I will touch base with Damon then.

Thanks again...I will keep you and everyone posted on what I get and post pics
Old 06-07-2007 | 08:51 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Benjamin, I spoke to Damon today at the Tire Rack and your wheels came up in the discussion, again they look great.

So I might just bite the bullet and get a a great set of wheels now and be done with it.

BTW...what size wheels and tyres do u have?

Thanks again
Old 06-07-2007 | 11:01 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Those are fantastic wheels, but that's definitely stretching your budget by a few grand!

If you're looking at those, take a look at the wheels on my car - Damon sells them - OZ 3s, fully press forged.

Dude, Those are nice.

Quick Reply: Wheel, Tyre and Suspension - will this combo work?