Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wheel, Tyre and Suspension - will this combo work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphahunter
I think they look great! just my $.02
So the 295's fit ok? Is that a 19?
Thanks!, but no, with 295's they rub the outer fender well on hard bumps and the fronts (235's) rub the fenderwell on lock-to-lock turns, but those are plastic fenderwells, no biggy.

They are lighter than the factory wheels but adding 0.8" to the diameter killed the aceleration, not to mention like 3-5 more lbs. of rubber (255 vs. 295).
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tippy...I do like the wheels and they do look good on your car.

During this thread I have received a lot of pro's and con's about so many different wheel types (5-spoke, 3-peice, etc.), and I have done a lot of research myself including talking to a few places (i.e. Damon at the Tire Rack). I am more knowledgeable about wheels and tyres for the 996 now than I was at the beginning of the week and I want to thank everyone for there input on this matter. I am still not a Pro on the subject but enough to be dangerous.

So at this time I know that I will eventually choose a wheel and tyre combination that either you all like or some will and some won't. But at the end of the day as long as I like them and they perform to my standards in regards to my application, that is what really matters. But pretty much any wheel that was mentioned in these discussions is better than what I have now.

I will be making a decision over the weekend as to what I will get and then share with you all the new setup once I have them on the car.

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

HAve yo looked at the BSA 215a wheels. They look a lot like the Kinesis F110's & the Porsche Sport Design wheels but are a LOT cheaper.

http://www.bsa.com.my/web/wheels/215a.htm
Old 06-09-2007, 12:53 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
HAve yo looked at the BSA 215a wheels. They look a lot like the Kinesis F110's & the Porsche Sport Design wheels but are a LOT cheaper.

http://www.bsa.com.my/web/wheels/215a.htm
And every now and then, you'll find a few sets on ebay. Some even have black centers. Besides ebay, I just don't know where to get them.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Update: Decision has been made and the has been made

I will start a new thread in about 2 weeks once I have made the changes to my car, I will of course include pics.

So you know what this means about my ghetto wheels, but I will not say anything here since I am not a Member yet

Again thanks everyone for there input and insight, I believe that the setup I went with will be accepted by all
Old 06-09-2007, 02:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Updated pic of my car- so stay tuned (sorry about the small pic - I have met my max upload, I guess I am limited as a User, time for me to become a member?)
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve's been a great customer through all this and I really hope he like the wheels. Thanks for all the help too, Ben!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Steve's been a great customer through all this and I really hope he like the wheels. Thanks for all the help too, Ben!
Damon you are the man and so thank you for working with me on this huge decision.

Ben, again thank you

Note: new Avatar...no there are no wheels on it yet

Last edited by TheSpeedDemon; 06-15-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM
festuc
AutoX

What is the max tire and rim size that you can put in a 996 with standard suspension and without any rubbing?

Right now I think I have installed 20mm spacers front and 30mm rear.

Offsets?

Can I put the 996 turbo ones? (I think front 225R18 Rear 295R18).

Best Regards and Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2007, 04:09 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by festuc
What is the max tire and rim size that you can put in a 996 with standard suspension and without any rubbing?

Right now I think I have installed 20mm spacers front and 30mm rear.

Offsets?

Can I put the 996 turbo ones? (I think front 225R18 Rear 295R18).

Best Regards and Thanks.
festuc, I did a lot of research on this trying to understand what can and what cannot be done. With a 996 narrowbody you are somewhat limited in the back though. My understanding is that 18's on 'stock' suspension you can get away with wider wheels and tyres in the back say if you had 19's (as I have now).

Front:
19x8.5 w/245-35 (wrong size, rubs on full-lock)

Rear:
19x10 w/285-30 (max for my 19's in stock suspension unless the offset is correct)

Since I am new to owning a Porsche I have relied on others here on Rennlist for there input. One person that really helped me was Damon@TireRack.com. Once I understood more about my options from him, I then started concentrating on the look of the wheel (I didn't want to fall in love with a wheel only to find out it does not come in the size I need based on my requirements). Of course the amount of money you are willing to spend plays a lot in the decision making.

Please note I ended-up going with 19's again, and because I will be lowering the car I put more restrictions on the tyre size, but that is OK.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
festuc
AutoX

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
festuc, I did a lot of research on this trying to understand what can and what cannot be done. With a 996 narrowbody you are somewhat limited in the back though. My understanding is that 18's on 'stock' suspension you can get away with wider wheels and tyres in the back say if you had 19's (as I have now).

Front:
19x8.5 w/245-35 (wrong size, rubs on full-lock)

Rear:
19x10 w/285-30 (max for my 19's in stock suspension unless the offset is correct)

Since I am new to owning a Porsche I have relied on others here on Rennlist for there input. One person that really helped me was Damon@TireRack.com. Once I understood more about my options from him, I then started concentrating on the look of the wheel (I didn't want to fall in love with a wheel only to find out it does not come in the size I need based on my requirements). Of course the amount of money you are willing to spend plays a lot in the decision making.

Please note I ended-up going with 19's again, and because I will be lowering the car I put more restrictions on the tyre size, but that is OK.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to go to 19'; 18 is enough for me :-)

Best Regards.

Quick Reply: Wheel, Tyre and Suspension - will this combo work?