Sponsored by:

Lightweight flywheel/clutch package recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheel/clutch package recommendations

So I'm looking to replace my OEM clutch either with OEM or an aftermarket unit. Back when I had my Comptech SCed S2000, I ran it with an ACT clutch kit with a lightweight Comptech flywheel which was essentially an OEM unit machined down.

That package worked great for a good number of trustworthy, credible Honda S2000 owners and I'm essentially looking for the same for the 3.6 Carrera. The clutch action was stiffer and more precise and the lw fly allowed the car to rev more freely. The only complain was that the clutch action was stiff, but I got used to it quickly. What can I say, I'm very fit from playing soccer for a long time.

In all seriousness, any of you guys running a reliable clutch package for the 911 like the unit I had for the S2000? What's been your experience?

I don't mind more chatter within reason. I don't mind the car feeling racier, again, within reason. I do want a freer engine as it feels very laggy compared to my S2000... somewhat closer to the Carrera GT (you get my drift).

Best,
Ben
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like like the aasco LWF is the only make for the 996... that's what i have. i bought a fidanza which was supposed to be for the 3.4/3.6 but it had 9 bolt holes meaning it was meant for a 993/964. the m96 crank has 8 bolts. i do get chatter and it does feel racier.

i have a clutchmasters kevlar lined clutch with uprated pressure plate. not sure if they sell it anymore. don't think you need the stiffer plate... i got it because of the supercharger. check out SPEC clutches too and you can always check out what evoms is selling then get it from somewhere else (they charge porsche tax ) IIRC, the stock clutch does not have spring dampeners in them because the dual mass flywheel had them. if you get a LWF you lose the second mass and the spring. if you get a solid LWF and a solid clutch disk then getting out of first gear will be quite a bit harder.

the LWF paired with the evo intake gave really good throttle response. the CGT has the chatter... so too does the gt3 RS with the LWF. just consider yourself in good company
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i recomend fvds package, the ones ive installed were great and their customer support was excellent
Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
i recomend fvds package, the ones ive installed were great and their customer support was excellent

they are one in the same FVD LWF = aasco LWF. they told me so
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Gents, where do I get this FVDS package and how is the drive with it? I'm looking for a solid review.

From Phil Coy at Sunset, I can get the complete OEM clutch kit with OEM flywheel for $1100-1200.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

searh fvd i did a whole write up on the first one i installed
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Gents, where do I get this FVDS package and how is the drive with it? I'm looking for a solid review.

From Phil Coy at Sunset, I can get the complete OEM clutch kit with OEM flywheel for $1100-1200.
your oem flywheel is shot?

you can get the aasco from PELICAN PARTS for 960. fvd-usa.com LWF goes for 795. evoms is selling their LWF for 1195
Old 06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

After my research, I think I'm going to stick with OEM as there hasn't been solid, overall positive reviews favoring an aftermarket lwf clutch package for the Porsche.

My flywheel is fine, but my indy just recommended that I change it all new at once. I guess I"m just ****/careful like that about my rides.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
After my research, I think I'm going to stick with OEM as there hasn't been solid, overall positive reviews favoring an aftermarket lwf clutch package for the Porsche.

My flywheel is fine, but my indy just recommended that I change it all new at once. I guess I"m just ****/careful like that about my rides.
for a cruising mobile, i would agree and stick with oem.... easier to shift and not noisy. i love my LWF but my car is very racy and no where near a blvd cruiser.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I wish you lived up in Seattle or I in the Bay Area so I can go for a ride along, cuz I don't midn a racier setup at all.

Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheel/clutch package recommendations