Change the horn sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 PM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the horn sound?

Hello folks.

The horn sound on my 996 -99 is realy bad, what I mean it sounds like a donkey meep meep, my fathers volvo s80 has a thicker sound.

Its a bit awkward to use it when it has to be used, the car looks great and here comes a donkey sounds....

Has anyone changed the sound?

Regards // Norbert
Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you compared it with other 996 cars? There's a High and Low horn. If one is broken, it may sound kinda girlie. I had the low horn go out once.

I think if you search the threads, someone also mentioned installing some type of scary 160 decibel horn in lieu of the original.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....2520&SKU=77573

...."GERMAN HELLA HORNS. LOUD AS CAN BE!
Tired of those wimpy, factory installed horns? You'll get some respect with these. I only honk my horn when it's absolutely necessary. For those times I do honk my horn, I want to be noticed. And just in case you haven't noticed, stereo systems are getting louder and interiors are getting quieter, which means you need to be heard! Plastic? No way! Durable, metal casing for years of survival. Easy installation. If you have horns presently, just swap the horns and use the existing wiring. If you want to add them to your present horns, a relay and directions are included. Loud as can be! 118 dB."...

No affiliation, justa happy customer. I have a motorycle version on my bike and if not prepared it even scares the beejesus out of me.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2007, 06:00 PM
delirium
Racer

are these a direct replacement?

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....2520&SKU=77573

...."GERMAN HELLA HORNS. LOUD AS CAN BE!
Tired of those wimpy, factory installed horns? You'll get some respect with these. I only honk my horn when it's absolutely necessary. For those times I do honk my horn, I want to be noticed. And just in case you haven't noticed, stereo systems are getting louder and interiors are getting quieter, which means you need to be heard! Plastic? No way! Durable, metal casing for years of survival. Easy installation. If you have horns presently, just swap the horns and use the existing wiring. If you want to add them to your present horns, a relay and directions are included. Loud as can be! 118 dB."...

No affiliation, justa happy customer. I have a motorycle version on my bike and if not prepared it even scares the beejesus out of me.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
NOBY
Pro

TamiyaGuy: I have not, but I will do when I get the chanse. How can I check if low or high horn is off without comparing with other car?

Seeeu911: Yeah are they direct replacements?

Regards // Norbert
Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBY
TamiyaGuy: I have not, but I will do when I get the chanse. How can I check if low or high horn is off without comparing with other car?

Seeeu911: Yeah are they direct replacements?

Regards // Norbert
Other than comparing to another 996 I can't really say. I actually didn't know it broke until my end-of-warranty inspection and the dealership discovered it.

What I can tell you is that the horn - behaviing normally - doesn't appear to sound any quieter or louder than a typical car horn. It sounds like my Infiniti and my wife's Lexus; no different as far as I can tell.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

hey guys, they are not a Porsche part so would not be a direct replacement. I remember someone here installing them however. They are a 12 volt horn, so I am sure a minor bracket install to fit and then unplug the stock connectors and making some connectors to fit into the pcar wiring harness.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

I put these Hella horns on my wife's Honda Civic Hybrid. If you want to hear a wimpy horn, just listen to the stock Civic horn. Now with the Hellas she can blast with the best of them, and scare little old ladies back on the curb at 500 yards!

Now for your Porsche, while these horns will fit where your stock horns are, you will need to make new connectors for them.

You problem sounds like one of the 2 horns on your 996 has stopped working. Replacement horns are fairly inexpensive (about $35 each), and replacing them is very simple. I would advise you to replace the defective horn rather than replace both with an aftermarket horn set.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the Hellas in my 930 with the Griot's "Italian Air Horns"...which is addressed in another previous thread...but they're only about 5.5 X 4 X 3.5 and the air compressor and relay are all contained in a small package...easy to install, don't take up much room.... and they crank out a LOUD 130 db's. They're the dual "european" sound. Really worth it for a meager $39 from Griots.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 AM
NOBY
Pro

The thing is my horn is not quiet but it sounds like a donkey, thats the problem.

Will try to find a porsche to compare it with...

Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBY
The thing is my horn is not quiet but it sounds like a donkey, thats the problem.
Then one of the 2 horns has stopped working.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

... I now feel the urge to make mine sound like the General Lee
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
AsianImage
Racer

another happy GRIOT'S RED HORN here too.

If you do a search...I think I posted install with pics as well.

To be very honest the griots did not sound as "ferrari-like" or as euro as I thought they would. I hated the factory horns...sounded like a chevy citation coming down the street. But the old school HELLA air horns had a more "euro" sound to my ears.

but yeah for price and fit...these Griots are hard to beat.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

You know, I was raised in Europe and I don't know what this 'euro' horn sound is that is being referred to - they sound the same there as they do here.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess we're going to get into one of those subjective "sounds like" discussions that no one can seem to tie down. If you were raised in europe, then you know that some of the horns over there have a distinctly different two-tone sound. That's all that was being referred to....when I replaced mine in the 930 with the Griot's horns, the sound was distincltly different than the "americanized" ones in my 996. Whether these horns in our US cars are the same or different than the ones installed in the Euro Porsches isn't logical. They're probably the same....but it's the sound of the Griot's that we're talking about. That's about the best I can do to differentiate....it's certainly not worth getting into a major discussion over....I think I'll go have a glass of Gin and Tonic.....wait, that's European......Budweiser...that's it.

Quick Reply: Change the horn sound?