996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My brutally honest opinions from a test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:38 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone one who's been on any timed track would know that 4 seconds is a huge difference.

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Hmm...I think you had it right the first time: 0.8%, not 0.12% difference. 4 seconds divided by 500 seconds (8 minutes 20 sec) times 100%.

Anyone who races 6 hours, 12-hours events? I haven't, but I would venture that a 4-second advantage per 8-minute-plus lap is huge, and would actually be something to boast about if you could gain that amount of improvement.

In a 12-hour event at Nurburgring, for example, the C4S will beat the C2 by almost 6 minutes. That would still be only 0.8%, but in racing that would be a whopping margin, don't you think?

I have read the advantage of 997 GT3 over 996 GT3 of 2-3 seconds per lap on Infineon described by a race driver as a difference that is impossible to overcome in competition. (I paraphrase. You can find the exact adjective in the recent Excellence Mag with the yellow GT3 on cover.)

But that's racing. In real life, the bottom line is: to call C4S wimpier than C2 because it's wider and heavier and with the same powerplant would be missing the attributes like brakes and wider stance that can make the C4S faster than a C2.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:41 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can agree with this.

Originally Posted by mkiv808
2002 C4S, 33,000 miles

Feels like it has NO power in comparison to my C6, but in the twisties it does feel good.

The steering was very good, if not a little on the light side. I'm sure that could be fixed with some alignment adjustments.

The seats, while seemingly flat-backed (like the Supras or Corvettes) actually held me pretty damn good in the corners.

Didn't get to explore its handling much, as a salesman was with me in the car.

What I didn't like? The sound. Maybe I need to hear one with an exhaust. It wasn't the most charming engine note I've heard. It was also very quiet. I really had to listen to rev match downshifts.

Shifter was a bit long and sloppy, but better than the M3. Would really benefit from a short shifter, I'd imagine. Of course, this is coming from someone with a Callaway short shifter in a C6, which to me is pretty close to perfection.

The interior was nice, although somewhat dated. It seems more solid than the 997 interior though. Materials were good and it was completely rattle free.

Driving position, surprisingly, felt pretty high. from just looking out the windshield, you get the impression you're sitting in an average height car. The steering wheel position and dashboard does give you some sports car feel, however.

The only thing I hated was the clutch. For a car of this little power, this supposedly hydraulic-assisted clutch was VERY heavy. The Vette clutch is feather light in comparison, a huge difference, and I almost pushed the Vette clutch through the floorboard when I got back into it.

Overall, a nice ride. I'm not yet convinced, but overall it was positive.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 AM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Hmm...I think you had it right the first time: 0.8%, not 0.12% difference. 4 seconds divided by 500 seconds (8 minutes 20 sec) times 100%.
You're correct. So was I the 1st time. The OP has the right approach driving the cars he's interested in rather than relying on magazine or marketing data. With used cars that data is even more meaningless. The C4S is a heavy beast & AWD isn't for everyone. I didn't care for it. I much preferred the rwd C2. To me the C4S is a beauty but not a good value.

Quick Reply: My brutally honest opinions from a test drive