Sponsored by:

Help! - Range Rover (Sport) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! - Range Rover (Sport) Forum

Hey folks... everyone on this board has been incredibly helpful. I just ordered a 08 Rover Sport and wanted recommendations on a helpful board...

Please point me in the right direction!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
viper501
Instructor

There is a rangerover.net site that looked pretty good. I've been looking at older(p38) rangies for a third vehicle with a diesel conversion and they had some decent information.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The following link has some great sites: http://www.rangerovers.net/rrlinks.htm
I have had 3 Range Rovers. Rovers are hard to beat for a family car. I hope you are happy with your new one. Atlantic British Limited is the place to go for aftermarket parts and accessories.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Carolina Cutter
Intermediate

thanks for the heads up
Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You could look at discoweb.org. It's a superb site for the pre-Ford Landies, but I can't say for sure how much of a community there is yet for the newer ones.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:18 PM
bstaneland
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
The following link has some great sites: http://www.rangerovers.net/rrlinks.htm
I have had 3 Range Rovers. Rovers are hard to beat for a family car. I hope you are happy with your new one. Atlantic British Limited is the place to go for aftermarket parts and accessories.
Wow, I'm surprised to read this post. I had a Trocadero Red '91 Classic with all the factory bars and lights. Loved it & hated it at the same time. Spent more time running bad than running right. Maybe it was my mechanic shop? Unfortunately the nearest LR dealer was a piggy-back ride away in another city.

Damn I miss that thing...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
viper501
Instructor

Brilliant junk is how my brother describes his Defender 90 and his Series II trucks.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i vote the best web site for a rover owner is www.AAA.com
Old 05-25-2007, 08:04 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Range Rover as well - rangerovers.net is great - does not generate nearly the traffic that this site does, but there is some good advice and some guru's over there as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Ben, I try to fix everything myself. When I get in over my head, there is a great local shop (Stewart's). My ex wife rolled a 89 range rover after hitting Bambi at about 60mph and going up an embankment. My infant son was unscathed. The car is a tank.
Brad, I hate to say it, but you're right. I can't imagine paying the new price on one or not being able to work on it yourself. Our current one cost about $75,000 new and had $40,000 in modifications done to it prior to me buying it. I paid about $23,000. with 25,000 miles and 4 years old. That's some serious depreciation.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 PM
vladimir
1st Gear

As a former Range/Land Rover owner I feel I have to post this - sorry. I've had two (95 & 04) of those wonderful (smirk) pieces of British automotive craftmanship. When they run, they are great - you'll never get stuck by incliment weather or terrain. But, you'll also never pass up a gas station or repair facility either.

When I had my Rovers, I really, really wanted to like them. I told myself that the people who had trouble with theirs were just incompetent or had "gotten a bad one". Problem is, I've discovered that they're pretty much all bad.
My council to you is - I hope your pockets are deep, your mechanic nearby and that you learn quicker than I do.

P.S. When you do decide to sell or trade it you'll also find that resale value is extremely poor. Sorry.

-Vladimir
Old 05-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Vladimir, you are right. It is a love/hate relationship. You can always tell where ours has been parked, by the oil spots. My first car was a 1965 MGB that I completly rebuilt. I spent more time pushing it than driving it.
My family has always owned British cars. I guess it's in my blood. I will always drool over Aston Martins. My dad's XJR is a rocket. The interior of wifey's Rover puts our Porsche and Mercedes to shame. I love aluminum bodies on cars. It's too bad they fall short on dependability. You have to take the good with the bad. They don't lack for personality.
Out of three Range Rovers over about 15 years, I have never had a major mechanical failure....it's always the little stuf. It's a tradeoff, I'm willing to live with. I had two Toyota Forerunners...they were dependable but lacked personality. Close the door on a Range Rover and it sounds like you're closing the door on a bank vault. You better have access to a bank vault to cover the repairs.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mfletch
It is a love/hate relationship.
More hate than love though.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are handy with repairs then the Rangie is great truck to own, the little issues here and there doesn't bother me at all. But if have to depend on the dealer, then it is going to be a miserable car owning experience. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum is the best forum site to chat about the MkIII Rangies. I have a 96 P38 which is an awesome truck, despite of dealing with the EAS air suspension issues, oil leaks, radio reception issues, suspension component replacements.... etc....

Oh, the gas mileage is terrible, expect to get something like 13 mpg.

On a side note my daughter absolutely loves this truck, would choose the Rangie over the Porsches to climb in and play with the steering wheel.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
On a side note my daughter absolutely loves this truck, would choose the Rangie over the Porsches to climb in and play with the steering wheel.
Such a cutie pie.

Quick Reply: Help! - Range Rover (Sport) Forum