Sponsored by:

C4S as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:44 AM
mkiv808
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4S as daily driver?

A little background: currently own a 120k mile Pathfinder and a 2007 Corvette Z51. Have owned a C5 Z06, NSX, and several Supra's.

The C5 Z06 was a VERY fun car, but the C6 just isn't. The steering is vague and mushy. It's got lots of power and handles like it's on rails, but does not feel right in the twisties, which to me is 90% of the fun. I know it's capable of pulling almost 1g on the skidpad and could definitely outrun just about any non-turbo, non-GT3/GT2 modern Porsche on the track, but I'm more about feel than bragging rights.

I am considering several different cars. My first consideration is getting a Lotus Elise and either keeping the Pathfinder or getting another daily driver. The Elise is fantastic fun, best sports car I've ever driven by far. The downside for me would be the safety issues of being the smallest thing on the road.

I was also considering getting a low mile 2005 E46 M3 as an only car. This would be a little cheaper. Having two cars is a pain sometimes, and it's twice the insurance and upkeep.

Lastly, I never considered it before, but I am looking at 911 C4S's now. Probably 2000-2002ish. They have several things I like: AWD for inclement weather, one of the best steering racks in the business, class/sophistication, style, etc.

So how do these cars perform as daily drivers, most notably in the winter with good winter tires? What are average upkeep costs in comparison to something like an M3?

I'm single, rarely have more than one person in the car, and don't have a huge need for lots of space. The only thing I would miss is being able to take my mountain bike places.

Also, my last concern is safety. Yes, it's always been a concern of mine. I got in a very bad wreck in 2001 and somehow got out with nary a scratch. I learned to appreciate safety very quickly. How do 996's fare in accidents? It seems without the engine in front, a head-on or frontal offset collision could be nasty.

Insight/opinions always appreciated.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 AM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2003 C5 ZO6 (3800 miles) & couldn't agree more about handling. I have done 4 DE events & always feel out at the "edge" even though the published figures show very high lateral g's etc. I just purchased a 2003 Carrera 4S & the handling couldn't be better. The difference is night & day. I would have no problem recommending the C4s as a daily drive. From what I have read, the safety is very good in these cars. Good luck. Todd
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend any modern day Porsche as a daily driver other than the CGT. Maintenance is on par with other higher end sport cars such as the M3. On the safety end the AWD is definitely a plus especially for slippery road condition and with crumply zones and airbags it is as safe as other similarly equipped cars but of course a good driver is the most important safety feature. I say go for it you wont be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM
path
Instructor

I live in Michigan where AWD drive in mandatory for a daily driver. With snows my car can go anywhere, as long the snow isn't over 8 inches deep. I've had the car for four winters and never gotten stuck. I actually look forward to winter now. People in SUV's give you the strangest looks when you pull away from them at a light on a snowy wintery day. The car is absolutely rock solid. Some say that you give up " steering feel" because of the AWD setup compared to a normal C2. On rainy and/or snowy days I wouldn't drive anything else. In case you haven't noticed I LOVE THIS CAR!!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

If you are looking for the best steering rack in the business, decent power (insane power for me, but considering your past rides and todays standards I have to call it "decent"), and daily drivability then Porsche is the answer. But, other than the NSX all other previous rides may have spolied you for the need for more torque. So considering that, I would suggest you to look for an 01 996 TT, great deals to be had
Old 05-20-2007, 12:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

My C4S is my DD year round. With snow tires, it's unstoppable in anything but blizzard conditions. I feel more confident and safe in it than any of the 7 Jeeps I've owned in the past. BTW: 996 C4S were only made from 02 to 05. Prior to 02 they were C4...great car but not widebodied with the bigger brakes, track suspension from TT.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:23 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I feel more confident and safe in it than any of the 7 Jeeps I've owned in the past.
In the snow? Hyperbole?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

On road yes. Off-road no, of course. I was chief instructor for Jeep College up here for a number of years. While the Jeeps can almost go anywhere off-road, their on-road feel is pretty vague and the brakes are severely undersized for the weight of the vehicle.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't there a bike rack available for the 996 models? I know there is for the 986 models. Other than that issue, there's no reason not to drive a C4S as a daily.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:32 PM
flash80
Instructor

I agree with most everything posted previously. In terms of upkeep, however, an 05 M3 will be substantially cheaper to maintain. Why? The BMW free maintenence program. If you get an 05, that means no out of pocket expenses until 2009. You can even extend the maintenence for any extra 2 years for around $1500. You'll also have the peace of mind of a warranty as well.

That being said, I had an M3, and now own a C4S. The other reasons were too compelling.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
mkiv808
Advanced

Originally Posted by flash80
I agree with most everything posted previously. In terms of upkeep, however, an 05 M3 will be substantially cheaper to maintain. Why? The BMW free maintenence program. If you get an 05, that means no out of pocket expenses until 2009. You can even extend the maintenence for any extra 2 years for around $1500. You'll also have the peace of mind of a warranty as well.

That being said, I had an M3, and now own a C4S. The other reasons were too compelling.
Isn't reliability a little better overall on the 911's?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 PM
mkiv808
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Isn't there a bike rack available for the 996 models? I know there is for the 986 models. Other than that issue, there's no reason not to drive a C4S as a daily.
Do you mean a permanent bike rack? I don't think I could do that to a 911.

There are removable trunk racks, BUT they require a trunk. I don't think you could strap them into the engine bay!

I can't link them because I don't have enough posts, but Hollywood Bike Racks is one of the companies that makes the trunk strap-based racks.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
mkiv808
Advanced

Oh, and I ski too! Hmmm....
Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
mkiv808
Advanced

Originally Posted by viprklr
I have a 2003 C5 ZO6 (3800 miles) & couldn't agree more about handling. I have done 4 DE events & always feel out at the "edge" even though the published figures show very high lateral g's etc. I just purchased a 2003 Carrera 4S & the handling couldn't be better. The difference is night & day. I would have no problem recommending the C4s as a daily drive. From what I have read, the safety is very good in these cars. Good luck. Todd
What is the insurance difference for the two cars for you?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Yes, they do make a bike rack for the 996. Check out the link to the roof transport system. For bike rack info, click on bike carrier on the left side of the screen.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori.../touring/n172/

Quick Reply: C4S as daily driver?