996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's a CPO really worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What's a CPO really worth to you?

I'm looking to buy an 02-03 996 C4s or TT with between 15 and 30K miles.

For argument's sake, let's say if I shop around I can get a car for $65K from a dealer CPO'd, or a similar car without warranty from a private seller for maybe $3-5K less. In my mind a CPO is probably worth that difference. However, in my state a buyer must pay sales tax on a used car from a dealer, but not from a private party sale. So that adds another $5K in tax (I'm not trading in a vehicle, so I have to pay on the full amount) if I buy from a dealer. This means that to buy a CPO'd car, I'm looking at paying somewhere between $8-10K extra for this warranty.

Is a CPO worth this much in your opinion, or should I forget about dealer cars and just put my trust in a good PPI? Also, would your answer be different depending upon whether I go with a C4s or a TT?

What's a CPO really worth?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In either scenario, wouldn't care for a CPOed car as I would look for a reputable aftermarket warranty company that'll be around $3-4K as you've stated that'll have longer coverage at least time interval wise. Who the heck drives 100K miles in 2 years?

In your scenario since you guys don't pay tax on a private, there's no way in heck I'd be spending more time at dealer lots than looking for a private party transaction. I hated paying $5K sales tax on my ride as that would've covered most of my 19" wheel/tire purchase, but a part of life oh well.

Get a PPI done regardless as the CPOed cars are nothing special - you still need to cover your bases

Get some sort of warranty coverage (peace of mind I can tell is what you want)

I'd get a warranty on either the C4S or TT - both feature pricey parts/labor

Bottom-line, CPO is worth $3-4K and nothing to me. I wouldn't require the car to be CPO (null value), but I would require that I have warranty coverage as insurance ($3-4K).
Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
In either scenario, wouldn't care for a CPOed car as I would look for a reputable aftermarket warranty company that'll be around $3-4K as you've stated that'll have longer coverage at least time interval wise. Who the heck drives 100K miles in 2 years?

In your scenario since you guys don't pay tax on a private, there's no way in heck I'd be spending more time at dealer lots than looking for a private party transaction. I hated paying $5K sales tax on my ride as that would've covered most of my 19" wheel/tire purchase, but a part of life oh well.

Get a PPI done regardless as the CPOed cars are nothing special - you still need to cover your bases

Get some sort of warranty coverage (peace of mind I can tell is what you want)

I'd get a warranty on either the C4S or TT - both feature pricey parts/labor

Bottom-line, CPO is worth $3-4K and nothing to me. I wouldn't require the car to be CPO (null value), but I would require that I have warranty coverage as insurance ($3-4K).

I might consider an aftermarket warranty, but I have heard nothing good about them from friends who have bought them in the past. If you can find a company that doesn't go bankrupt or change names in two years, they often just refuse to pay if you need a major repair. They figure (rightly so) that it won't be worth your time and legal fees to fight them with no certainty of resolution. They usually just end up refunding your warranty payment if you threaten them enough, and you're stuck paying the rest of the repair bill. To me, the real reason for a warranty is insurance against major problems (i.e. engine fries and you have $30K repair bill), as the smaller stuff probably wouldn't cost much more than the warranty if you can find a good independent shop. I suspect that any major claim is going to be contested by an aftermarket insurance company, because no one wants to pay out a major claim. I'd welcome any personal experience to the contrary from members here.

I've also heard it's very difficult to get an aftermarket warranty on a TT, but don't know from experience. Considering the fact that a TT engine costs over double to replace than a regular 996, I can understand why.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

and don't forget a CPO is transferrable in a private seller to private seller transaction - so don't think you can only get this from a dealer.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I've heard as many positives as negatives about aftermarket warranties... do your research just like anything else.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
and don't forget a CPO is transferrable in a private seller to private seller transaction - so don't think you can only get this from a dealer.
+1... Look for private sale that has previously been CPO'd.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was worth sleep at night after hearing the stories on this board about a car brand I've never owned before.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

I am about to hit the end of a CPO warranty - I definitely paid a premium to buy CPO from a dealer. I would not do CPO from the dealer again. I've had zero warranty claims and the car still feels amazing (knock on wood). If I knew then what I know now, I would have either bought a private party CPO or a privately owned, low mileage car where I could personally meet the previous owner.

I would NOT buy a non warranty car from any dealer.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:34 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Roger that.

So here's a related question.

I have heard of doing "pass throughs" to get a car CPO'd at a dealership, but that doesn't solve my tax bill issue as I would have to "buy" the car from the dealer right?

However, if I buy a car that is still under the initial factory warranty, can I extend the warranty through Porsche NA before it expires? What if I am buying from someone other than the original owner of the car?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

CPO is insurance, and like any insurance it trades a fixed amount of 'now' money for a variable amount of 'could happen later' money.

So, as with any insurance, you have to ask yourself this: If something goes wrong later, can I afford it? If the answer is no, then CPO is worth every penny. If the answer is yes, it's a complete waste of money.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Dandridge,
Even though we've had an at-length discussion privately, I'm gonna throw my thoughts up here, as well - and I encourage more feedback from others..

If you are buying a $30k 911 from 1999, your initial investment/risk is way lower, besides, you probably can't get a warranty...so..oh well. BUT, if you decide on a $65 to $75k 911Turbo, you NEEEEEED to get some sort of warranty, CPO/aftermarket or otherwise. There is just tooo much that can fail with these cars, especially for the 1st year, when you don't know the car at all, these expenses COULD end up costing you in the $10's of thousands.

Now, once you've owned the car for 2 years+, you know the car, and have cared for, and continue to care for it, it is way less likely that you will have to worry about major expenses, quite as much.

I would love to see others advice, on this matter....

Good luck my friend,
Gant
Old 05-18-2007, 03:52 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CPO certainly provides plenty of peace of mind. You know you can go to any Porsche dealer and not face a hassle in getting repairs done. Just show up, make sure what is wrong is coverered and it is taken care of.

I was told the cost to a dealer to certify a car is only about a $1000. So depending on how greedy the dealer is you might be able to negotiate. I am close to finishing out my CPO warranty soon and figure it has only saved me about a $1000 over the last two years.

What it has done is provide convenience. The few times it has gone in for service there is no problem getting a loaner from the dealership. Since I live far away from the nearest dealer that is a big convenience.

What state are you in that you only pay from a dealer, not private party? Here in NJ, they won't give you your registration until you pay the tax.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmillnj

What state are you in that you only pay from a dealer, not private party? Here in NJ, they won't give you your registration until you pay the tax.
I will be registering the car in Georgia, no tax here on private party sales.

My other cars are registered in Virginia, where tax does apply.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:14 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

So to beat a dead horse....

Is there a way to extend the factory warranty through Porsche NA if you are a second or third owner of the vehicle, so long as the original warranty has not yet expired?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Nope

Quick Reply: What's a CPO really worth to you?