Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How about a storage rental?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with P-Zero Rossos and although they all had at least 50% tread remaining, after 5K miles the fronts still had plenty of tread left, but the rears were bald. Being advised not to mix tire types, I was about to buy 2 new Rossos for the rear, but then a friend of mine told me he uses Bridgestone RE960AS on his 997. It's pretty much always "summer" here in FL and I hesitated about putting an All-Season tire on mine, but when he told me after almost 25K miles his are hardly worn at all, and that I can put a set of 4 on for about what it would cost for 2 rear Rossos (that will last what, 10K?), I went for it. As a bonus, they ride softer and quieter than the P-Zeros, which makes my enjoyment of the car even better.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Riad
As others have mentioned, A/S are good at nothing.

I keep two sets of tires, winter and summer... and actually both sets last almost twice as long so it's not a double expense.
I STRONGLY disagree here. I have to say everyone busted my stones about Good Year F1 AS.... Well the other night I got stuck in some of the worst trenching down poors or rain I have ever been in.... That car never drifted ONCE, it was stuck to the road as if it was dry. Fabulous tire.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 AM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a set of 18" Turbo Twists for my 99 Cab. They came with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus already mounted. My 17's had Conti Sport Contacts which I thought were great tires. I just installed the "new" wheels and tires today and went for a short drive. Once I've had a chance to drive them some more I'll add my impressions.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiemac
I just bought a set of 18" Turbo Twists for my 99 Cab. They came with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus already mounted. My 17's had Conti Sport Contacts which I thought were great tires. I just installed the "new" wheels and tires today and went for a short drive. Once I've had a chance to drive them some more I'll add my impressions.
Finally ....
Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven B
After trying all-seasons on my C-4 (older car/tires, however) I am also in the 2 set camp.

If you check around, some tire changers, shops, etc, will store your extra tire/wheel sets - might be worth looking into. Maybe the storage fee might make the swapping twice yearly more do-able (is that a word??)
+1. My Indy stores my winter tires in the summer for me and vice versa. Therefore, he knows I am a long term customer...
Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Summers in winter are fine on dry roads. I've driven even through snow storms but stayed on the ploughed hwy's with them and that was scary you wouldn't ever want to do that. Also I really mean dry roads. I've hit a snow drift on dry roads and totally lost it and ended up with big time curb rash.
No, they're only 'fine' if you don't enter into an emergency situation, but all bets are off if you need to make a panic stop or evasive maneuver, i.e. things you kind of need to be prepared for every time you leave the driveway.

Your car will not explode if you drive on summer tires in the winter, but when you need grip the most, it will not be present.

It's just not a good idea.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
My problem is space. we live in the city, where my 2 outdoor parking spaces are actually worth $175,000 each - no joke - and I have NO space for a spare set of wheel/tires. NONE!
I, too, lived in a condo building in the city with NO space. I have my 2nd set of tires stored at Discount Tire for a flat $100 one-time fee. They require a 2 week notice, but will mount my tires as many times as I want for no additional cost.

The A/S discussion will always prevail, and in some climates, it can make sense. But I agree with the general wisdom on here regarding 2 sets. I did not, however, buy a 2nd set of wheels, because my wheels are only $150 each to replace. I think Porsche wheels are actually pretty strong and can stand up as well as aftermarket ones to the elements.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All right. Let's drag this one out again. Have had a chance to do a bit of spirited driving on the Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. The main impression I get is that they are good for all around driving (I use it as a good weather DD) but when you start to push them the fronts start to squirm a bit and the car starts to move around. The front was alway pretty lively before but with these you need to be more on top of it. The rears seem to be pretty dialed-in and I never had the impression that they would break loose. Under heavy braking the Pilot's will squeal which is something I never experienced with the Conti's. Indicative of a harder tire I also don't get the burning rubber smell I used to get on previous Pirelli's and Conti's every time I open the driver's door after a hard drive (that one freaked me out when I first got the car!!). Overall just not as tight a feeling as the Conti's I had on before - not really bad, just not as good.
On the plus side I'm really pleased with the look of the car with the 18" Turbo Twists - dramatic improvement over the stock 17's, even though my wife says it looks the same!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the sizes are available for Pcars, but I had a set of 235/40R-18 Bridgestone Turanza Serenity XLs installed on my Audi last December. Quiet, grippy in hot, cold, dry, wet, and and I confirmed they also work well in snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ranza+Serenity
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ugh, all season tires on a 911. Did I accidentally enter the Prius forum?

It's unfortunate that threads this silly can't seem to stay dead. Furthermore, I think you're crazy if you plan on driving a 911 in Calgary all winter on all season tires.

I have several Chicago winters under my belt with the 911 and IMHO snow tires are essential for driving a 911 in conditions with any snow.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

You never know what will happen, on the road or on the track.

Last Friday, I was driving home on I-70 at about 8:00 PM and a knucklehead ahead of me managed to spin his car on the interstate at ~70 mph. I was VERY happy to have good summer rubber on my car that allowed me to swerve around him and narrowly avoid hitting him. Could I have done this with all-season tires? Probably... but why take the chance?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

It's unfortunate that threads this silly can't seem to stay dead. Furthermore, I think you're crazy if you plan on driving a 911 in Calgary all winter on all season tires.

I have several Chicago winters under my belt with the 911 and IMHO snow tires are essential for driving a 911 in conditions with any snow.
Well Ray, at least you didn't say "the Honda Forum!"

Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

hmmm Maybe I should lock this thread..
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

+996

Ray is 100% correct. Installing all-seasons on a car like this is neutering it. You've paid for a certain level of performance and safety and all-season tires arbitrarily limit both. It's like paying for a 3/4-ton pickup but never once hooking a trailer to it.

Quick Reply: All Season Tire recommendation