Sponsored by:

Traction Control Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Off

Tried performance driving my Carrera 2 with the Traction Control off to see how big a difference it would make. The difference was astonishing. The back end slides out on command, but you have to work a little harder to get it back. With T/C on it builds confidence in your driving.
The only thing better is the Carrera 4, but with the extra weight it hurts acceleration slightly.
The Carrera 2 with T/C is a good compromise.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you simply push the TC button momentarily which does not fully deactivate it or did you follow the procedure in the manual to hold down the TC button a few seconds to fully disable TC/ABD, etc. See manual in the TC section for details.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You must mean PSM....

TC, Traction Control, is used pretty much exclusively to prevent wheelspin/slip, differentually (providing "virtual" LSD functionality), or equally, resulting from too much engine "DRIVE" torque for roadbed conditions.

It is therefore my understanding that absent any such longitudnal slippage TC does not come into play, activate.

Stability control, on the other hand, will always keep you from "wagging" the tail.

An interesting aspect of the Porsche stability control is that its onset, individual activation times, is somewhat delayed in order to give the more expert Porsche driver time to "sense" the event and react accordingly.

In my 2001 C4 what I have found, for instance, is that if I feel, sense, a tad bit of overstear and quickly crank in the correction, a bit of counter-stearing, the stability system simply doesn't activate at all. Whereas in my 2001 AWD RX300 the stability control kicks in, typically, before my seat of the pants sensor system is even aware of the "event".
Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Did you simply push the TC button momentarily which does not fully deactivate it or did you follow the procedure in the manual to hold down the TC button a few seconds to fully disable TC/ABD, etc. See manual in the TC section for details.
I just pushed it until the light came on and said Traction Control Off.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that i'm used to the POWER of my TT, I ALWAYS turn off PSM in the dry!! With 4WD and good stickys, you just don't need it, matter-of-fact, I think it's more dangerous with it ON!!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:14 AM
venom914
Instructor

Where was the button located. I have a 2000 911 c2 mk1 and i dont know where the button is to turn off the traction control.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traction control rocker switch is to the right of the steering wheel and left of the climate control.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by venom914
Where was the button located. I have a 2000 911 c2 mk1 and i dont know where the button is to turn off the traction control.
You probably don't have one, it was an option.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TC is only in early cars with a LSD. I have it on my 99 C2.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Is this for MK1 cars with TC only or does this also apply to MKII cars with PSM? I've been using a momentary push and the car still primes the brake pedal when I'm in high-g states and goes instantly to full ABS if I so much as brush the brake with my left foot.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To fully disable systems in Mercedes, it was usually just a case of removing the ABS fuse. Has anyone ever tried that route with a 996?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by bornrich
TC is only in early cars with a LSD. I have it on my 99 C2.
TC is an LSD (and MORE), no mechanical LSD required as it would be useless.

TC acts to quickly...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as my research has indicated TC in only available in the MkI C2 WITH a mech LSD. I know this as I have one. TC is not an LSD, it is a separate system. I run with mt TC off when I autocross and track my car. I can feel the LSD working. The only way to verify you have a mechanical LSD it is jack up the rear of the car and rotate one wheel. If the opposite wheel is turning I the same direction, there it a LSD present. If it rotate in the opposite direction you have a open diff.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Or if the likited slip disks are worn out, the other wheel won't spin at all.......like it doesn't on mine.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by bornrich
As far as my research has indicated TC in only available in the MkI C2 WITH a mech LSD. I know this as I have one. TC is not an LSD, it is a separate system. I run with mt TC off when I autocross and track my car. I can feel the LSD working. The only way to verify you have a mechanical LSD it is jack up the rear of the car and rotate one wheel. If the opposite wheel is turning I the same direction, there it a LSD present. If it rotate in the opposite direction you have a open diff.

TC, Traction Control, can be used, and is used, to "simulate" a mechanical LSD.

TC can/will apply, QUICKLY apply, individual braking to whichever, or both, rear wheels having lost roadbed traction. It will also dethrottle the engine, sometimes severely so, in order to help regain traction.

"..I can feel the LSD working..."

Sure, like I can "feel" the front wheel "driving" in my C4.....

For the factory to ship a car with TC(/LSD) and a mechainical LSD also would undoubtedly require a special order.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Off