996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Traction Control Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Internet blowhards like you are a dime a dozen. The facts are Porsche offered as an option a LSD ( option code 220) on c2 996 at least on the 99 and maybe a couple of year later then it was only offered on the GT2, GT3 and for one year the 40th anniversary addition.

Again I'm restating know information from Porsche.

M220 is indeed 40% LSD (for use above 45 mph)
M222 and M224 were sold as a single option in MY1999
M222 is Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) and is electronic traction control (throttles back engine under loss of traction from both wheels on RWD)
M224 is listed as Automatic Limited Slip Differential, but is correctly translated as Automatic Braked Differential - it means below 45mph a spinning wheel will be braked until the two sides on RWD are comparable taking into account steering angle etc.

I am finished on this topic with you and I won't waste any more time trying to convince you of something you have already decided is true.

The following users liked this post:
peterp (10-14-2021)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bornrich
Internet blowhards like you are a dime a dozen. The facts are Porsche offered as an option a LSD ( option code 220) on c2 996 at least on the 99 and maybe a couple of year later then it was only offered on the GT2, GT3 and for one year the 40th anniversary addition.

M222 is Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) and is electronic traction control (throttles back engine under loss of traction from both wheels on RWD)
M224 is listed as Automatic Limited Slip Differential, but is correctly translated as Automatic Braked Differential - it means below 45mph a spinning wheel will be braked until the two sides on RWD are comparable taking into account steering angle etc.

I am finished on this topic with you and I won't waste any more time trying to convince you of something you have already decided is true.

My '99 C2 included the TC as an option and I was told that TC was used to implement LSD functionality.

The fact of the matter is that if you have TC, or even PSM, then you have a "simulated" LSD function. Note by any means concluding that you also have a mechanical LSD but that remains to be proven as it is highly unlikely in a standard 996/997.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by bornrich

Think about it for just a moment...of what good would an LSD, frictional clutch pak, be above ~25 MPH. Torque sensing diff'l, yes, but NOT LSD.

And wouldn't "40%" statement be more appropriate in describing a torque sensing diff'l..?

AND applies braking to BOTH rear wheels.

Yes, 224, simulated LSD, will always be "bundled" with 222, TC (Traction Control)

Yes..CHEERS!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM
wwest
Drifting

I see the problem...

Option 220 is NOT an LSD but is a locking differential.

M220 = ZF style locking, torque "sensing", differential with NO preload. Lack of pre-load prevents interference with..M224

M222 = TC, Traction Control.

M224 = simulation of an LSD used TC functionality.

M221 = ZF style differential WITH Preload, incompatible with M222/M224.

Last edited by wwest; 08-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Off