Sponsored by:

End of warranty..final check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default End of warranty..final check?

Well, the warranty expires in about a week on my car. Other than the RMS being replaced in December with the latest and greatest seal, the car has been flawless runs great and still looks showroom new with 57K kms. Hands down, this has been the best car I've ever owned. Question is: should I bother going to the dealer, pay too much for an oil change (not required yet) just to have him check it over? What have you guys done when your warranty was just about to end?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an extended warranty, it helped me sleep better...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i let my warrenty lapse because..well i totally forgot about it.
if you're car's been flawless...they probably won't find anything wrong with it when you take it in (it's not a Macbook )

I don't think you plan on doing any extreme mods (read: supercharger), so if you want piece of mind, an extended warrenty might just be the right choice, if its only to help you sleep better at night so you can drive the unholy **** out of your car during the day.

read the terms closly though if its a 3rd party warrently, i've heard stories of them not covering an RMS repair (some 996ers in the US were complaining about this).
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the RMS, have you had the ISS checked?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

ISS or IMS seal was changed in December along with RMS. Clutch was still at 70% too. Only other warranty repairs were: 1 horn replaced, felt window pads replaced (streaking windows), radio & amp replaced, one headlight washer disk replaced...and that's about it.
3rd party warranty is a little less available here in Canada and usually really expensive with lots of exclusions. Omar, unless you know of a decent 3rd party warranty here for p-cars?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ will check for you and let you know. I know we deal with 1 or 2 decent ones thru our company. I'll see what i can find and let u know at the satAM meet.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Thanks Omar. I just did a search and I guess Warranty direct is available for Canada now. Quote is $2647 for 4yrs/100000kms for MajorCare and $5649 for 4yrs/120000kms for SecureCare coverage (which is a full bumper to bumper). Both with $0 deductible.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a car that has been pretty darn reliable. If you continue to take care of it as you do, then you would be throwing money out the window for 3rd party ins. Just take that 3K+ and dump it into an investment account and make that your "self-insure" fund.

If it helps you sleep better at the end of the warranty, take it to get a THOROUGH ppi-type inspection from an indy that really knows their stuff. That couple hundred bucks will be worth it.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I am in a very similar situation with the warranty running out and the only repair being the RMS replacement for seeping. I just purchased the warranty direct major care for 4 yrs/60k miles for $1785 with $100 deductible. As I have a good independent Porsche mechanic, and planning to keep this wonderful car for ever, I'll be going there from now on.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on some form of inspection before warranty ends

Paid dividends on my 986 - had items fixed at that point - then had leaking coolant just a short while after and managed to get parts covered as they should have spotted the issue at the final inspection.

Saved me a grand or so in total, so worth the trouble.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

first day flying solo without the warranty. I had it serviced on monday and checked over thoroughly. The SA phoned after a couple of hours to tell me that the tech was very impressed at how "clean" mechanically and esthetically my car was and that I should have no worries based on it's past reliability. Made me feel better and I decided to bank the $3K that an extended powertrain warranty would cost me and save it for the PSS9 suspension I want to do later.
Oh almost forgot, they did find one item that needed replacing under warranty: the remote key head outer case had a hairline crack 2mm long next to the lock/unlock button. Man, I love this car!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

time to replace the keybase with the CGT one!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
kurtp
Advanced

If you decide on extended warranty coverage for peace of mind, I would recommend going with an exclusionary policy. The other policies only list items that are covered while the exlusionary policy covers everything aside from their short list of exclusions. I am waiting for Warranty Direct to get approved in CA and that is what I will purchase. I don't have the benefit of having driven this car the last four years and would certainly sleep better if protected.

These cars are great.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Search and you'll find many such threads on similar topics.

When I bought my car from a private party, it came with an extended warranty that would last for the first year of my ownership. I had a thorough PPI done before the warranty expired. A few things came up (e.g. RMS #3), which I got fixed. Thereafter I did not bother with another warranty, for several reasons:

1. Car has been reliable so far (66K miles)

2. RMS, IMS, Cam Covers, etc are all still covered (2 year Porsche warranty), since I had used the *extended* warranty to get them done.

3. Warranties are getting expensive. In CA, only dealers are allowed to sell you a warranty; you cannot buy it online. I was getting quotes for about 4.5 - 4.8 K for a 3 yr 36 K policy. I decided to keep that amount in a high yield savings account. If I ever need an engine I'll just call it bad luck and use the account to (partially) fund the engine.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM
dave1200
Pro

warranty is worth it.... my car went in for some basic stuff... and turns out I need a tranny.... Ive had the car for 6 weeks and the extended warranty has paid for itself and MUCH MUCh more.

Quick Reply: End of warranty..final check?