996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

End of warranty..final check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the opinion to take the $4000-$5000 for the warranty and place it in a good mutual fund and use that money as needed to repair your car. The odds are that you will still have money in your account when you reach either 100000-120000KMS. IMHO know some may not agree but I put $3000 in my mutual fund when my 2000 went out of warranty and so far have not touched it and done quite well with the average return. In the end do what makes you feel best!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree. Also, the car is not new to me since I've had the last 15 months with the original new car warranty. There have been no hidden issues and the warranty work has been minor trim stuff and the RMS in December, but even that (should it require it again) cost less than a third of the price of the Warranty Direct extended powertrain warranty. I feel very comfortable with my decision to go without one now. I'll just buy some autoclub coverage for the roadside assistance for about $100 per year and that's it. If the engine suffers a catastrophic failure, I'll chalk it up to bad luck and repair/replace it. While it's not a cheap solution, I certainly can afford it considering my private party US origin car, saved me roughly $27K versus a less equipped CDN dealer CPO'd car at the time.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1200
warranty is worth it.... my car went in for some basic stuff... and turns out I need a tranny.... Ive had the car for 6 weeks and the extended warranty has paid for itself and MUCH MUCh more.
WOW, Dave that sucks! Glad you got the warranty. Did Hendrick CPO the car, or did you have to go with an after market warranty?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
dave1200
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
WOW, Dave that sucks! Glad you got the warranty. Did Hendrick CPO the car, or did you have to go with an after market warranty?
I decided for no CPO....as the Extended covered more items it seems. My estimate from the bill (havnt picked the car up yet) is that its over $10k in stuff..Tranny, Powersteering pump and res, clutch accumulator (the power pump and res and accum are not warranty items,but Hendrick said it got them covered some how). He said the tranny is $8k alone....

I paid $2400 for the warranty...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1200
I decided for no CPO....as the Extended covered more items it seems. My estimate from the bill (havnt picked the car up yet) is that its over $10k in stuff..Tranny, Powersteering pump and res, clutch accumulator (the power pump and res and accum are not warranty items,but Hendrick said it got them covered some how). He said the tranny is $8k alone....

I paid $2400 for the warranty...
I'm glad Hendrick "got them covered some how." It is possible that they covered it themselves, since you just bought it from them 6 weeks ago.

Please clarify one thing for me. You said you didn't get the CPO warranty, but opted for the "Extended" warranty. What company is the Extended warranty with?

Quick Reply: End of warranty..final check?