Sponsored by:

Fender Bender?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 AM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Bender?

Today leaving a crowded indoor parking garage, some drunk girl behind me "tapped" me on accident. It jolted me forward. I didn't see any damage, but its nighttime and dark in the garage and my car is black. I got the police to give me all her info on a report.

If there is no sign of damage, is there anything I should do? I have heard that you should have bumper replaced any time there is impact. What do you think? Should I have her insurance replace my bumperettes?

I won't know until the morning, I can get out in the light and have a good look under the car and make sure my tips and everything are OK.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2000 black aero also, maybe it is the haters because I have been rear-ended twice in mine. First time was a hard hit and my drivers side bumperette was replaced, the second was just a nudge so no bumperette replacement there.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Is such a minor thing worth reporting and your insurance rates be affected? Personally, I wouldn't have called the police if this was "just a tap". Either way, you will be paying for it. IIRC, the police report alone even if you make NO CLAIM can be used by the insurance companies to raise your rates. No matter how you look at it, it IS an accident on your record.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Is such a minor thing worth reporting and your insurance rates be affected? Personally, I wouldn't have called the police if this was "just a tap". Either way, you will be paying for it. IIRC, the police report alone even if you make NO CLAIM can be used by the insurance companies to raise your rates. No matter how you look at it, it IS an accident on your record.
Maybe a second rate company would do that, but my experience and the policy of most major companies is that they define accidents as chargeable or non-chargeable. Someone taps you from behind, it is non chargeable and it will not affect your rates.

Have the car checked out though. Even a minor tap can sometimes do things under the skin that need fixing.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

2nd rate? Are you kidding? Insurance companies are in the business to make money and ANYTHING that is reportable as an accident is all part of the "formula" to determine your rates. If you think that you just have to claim a monetary amount to be affected then you just being delusional. Would they raise your rates by just this? No. But it is all part of your histroy. Further, to claim a set of bumperettes is not smart. You can pick up a set of painted ones from Eric for less than $300. If the -ettes are ruined, you have the other party pay out of pocket to keep the "claim" from happening. If you want to claim, the get the bumperettes AND the entire rear bumper assembly. A small tap can crack the paint and that is something that will get out of hand over time.

By the way, what do you mean "your experience"? Are you somebody that has had a number of incidents or are you an idustry insider?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:15 AM
evansaero
Pro

Just watch your bumper over the next few days.

The Clear could Spider. If not I would just drop it.

Boy, you've been having a run of bad luck

Things come in 3's, hope that was number 3
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
signal
Racer

It happened inside a parking garage of a shopping center. That being said, this is "private propertly". The "cops" were in uniform, but "off duty" and hired by the establishment for security. They just gave me a drivers exchange form, and told me this is how its handled on private propertly, but that its totally valid and I could call to do the claim if I like, so I don't think its the same as a regular accident. I will check it out today and see if there is any damage. From what I could see last night there was none (dark outside though), so she probably impacted the bumperette,
Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by signal
They just gave me a drivers exchange form, and told me this is how its handled on private propertly, but that its totally valid and I could call to do the claim if I like, so I don't think its the same as a regular accident.
That is great to hear. Just keep an eye on the paint and make sure of no cracking, etc..
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A friend of mine with a C4 Corvette got tapped on the back like you did and told the other driver "no problem" and then 3 days later it erupted in spider cracks. The bumper, not my friend. Keep an eye on it and don't hesitate to file a claim if it requires repairs. Take it to an experienced Porsche body shop if you're really worried about hidden damage. Don't forget to file for your medical injuries as well, that whiplash can take a day or two to show up. If you do need to have some painting done and/or file an insurance claim, take lots of good photos and keep them around for when (if) ever you sell the car.

Hell, if it were me I probably would have called real police and demanded that the stupid drunk be charged with DUI. I don't give a rat's *** about where it happened - drunk driving is inexcusable.

Michael
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting yourself paid out my insurance companies is a nightmare sometimes even if you are completely 100% not at fault and you have eyewitnesses - Companies like Geico absolutely suck at paying up.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJBird993
A friend of mine with a C4 Corvette got tapped on the back like you did and told the other driver "no problem" and then 3 days later it erupted in spider cracks. The bumper, not my friend. Keep an eye on it and don't hesitate to file a claim if it requires repairs. Take it to an experienced Porsche body shop if you're really worried about hidden damage. Don't forget to file for your medical injuries as well, that whiplash can take a day or two to show up. If you do need to have some painting done and/or file an insurance claim, take lots of good photos and keep them around for when (if) ever you sell the car.

Hell, if it were me I probably would have called real police and demanded that the stupid drunk be charged with DUI. I don't give a rat's *** about where it happened - drunk driving is inexcusable.

Michael
Damn, I totally glossed over the fact that she was drunk. I would have called the cops immediately! She needs to be thrown in jail. Absolutely NO EXCUSE for getting behind the wheel after drinking.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
rmillnj
Racer

By the way, what do you mean "your experience"? Are you somebody that has had a number of incidents or are you an idustry insider?
Over the years with 4 teenage drivers I got to talk to the insurance company more than a few times and had the rate structures explained many times. Plus I have been driving for almost 40 years and think I have learned a thing or two in my dealings with insurance companies.

Basically events are either chargeable or not. I am insured with USAA which is one of the better companies and they have explained this issue to me several times over the years. Unless they are out and out lying, non-chargeables events do not affect your rates. My experience in paying the bills tells me that is the way they work.

Up until I had kids driving, I never had a chargeable event although they assisted me in collecting a couple of times for comprehensive and minor accidents caused by others. My rates never went up until the kids had a couple of chargeables.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Over the years with 4 teenage drivers I got to talk to the insurance company more than a few times and had the rate structures explained many times. Plus I have been driving for almost 40 years and think I have learned a thing or two in my dealings with insurance companies.

Basically events are either chargeable or not. I am insured with USAA which is one of the better companies and they have explained this issue to me several times over the years. Unless they are out and out lying, non-chargeables events do not affect your rates. My experience in paying the bills tells me that is the way they work.

Up until I had kids driving, I never had a chargeable event although they assisted me in collecting a couple of times for comprehensive and minor accidents caused by others. My rates never went up until the kids had a couple of chargeables.
I have been with USAA as well.......for 20 years and fully agree there isn't anybody better out there in the insurance industry. As for them giving you the 411 on rate structure, they gave you the "customer given" explanation. You did not get the formulary that goes into the rates. That is an industry trade secret and something us lay people will ever be given.

No matter if you have a charge against a claim or NOT, if you are named in a filed police report being involved in an accident, you can bet that will make it on your record. Sure, one isn't going to hurt you, but you don't want to use up your gimmies. To think otherwise would be nieve. Your rates didn't go up b/c you didn't have "x" number of reports in "x" amount of time. That's all.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You did not get the formulary that goes into the rates. That is an industry trade secret and something us lay people will ever be given.
Although I know better than to disagree or argue with Dell, I will tell you, as an industry insider, that the "formulary" that you speak of is:

So that should clear that up. The other thing to remember is that all of the rate structures, fees, penalties, etc. are set by the states, not the insurance companies. That's why it's so difficult to discuss insurance on a world-wide Internet forum, because nothing is the same.

And not only do different companies have different policies, but the action that they may take against you can vary depending upon which underwriter is working your file and if he or she got laid last night or had a good breakfast. There is a surprising amount of personal judgement in that area.

Just stay out of trouble.

Michael
Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Although I know better than to disagree or argue with Dell, I will tell you, as an industry insider, that the "formulary" that you speak of is:

So that should clear that up. The other thing to remember is that all of the rate structures, fees, penalties, etc. are set by the states, not the insurance companies. That's why it's so difficult to discuss insurance on a world-wide Internet forum, because nothing is the same.

And not only do different companies have different policies, but the action that they may take against you can vary depending upon which underwriter is working your file and if he or she got laid last night or had a good breakfast. There is a surprising amount of personal judgement in that area.

Just stay out of trouble.

Michael
Ha ha ha, very funny Michael.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender?