Sponsored by:

I Got Screwed By Mercedes Benz of Pleasanton...Pictures Attached

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 11:51 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 730 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by osborn77
In today's world, a reliable service is the one that meets a customer's expectations and can be counted on every time. For instance, Amazon customers expect the product they order to arrive when they say it will. This is why it is crucial to build an excellent team and provide service across the organization.
Look it’s Jeff Bezos first post.
Welcome, what 996 do you have?

Edit: I was reacting to someone digging up a 15 year old email. Looks like the admins have appropriately deleted it.

Last edited by hbdunn; 10-23-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:57 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 966 Posts

This thread is useless and this shyte doesn’t belong here
sorry but the Op got bitten by himself
Old 10-29-2022, 03:59 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
This thread is useless and this shyte doesn’t belong here
sorry but the Op got bitten by himself
I'm sorry you didn't find my thread useful...I posted it over 15 years ago. Thanks for reminding me of it. My wife still loves that car.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:27 PM
Tr4ckD4ys
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
I'm sorry you didn't find my thread useful...I posted it over 15 years ago. Thanks for reminding me of it. My wife still loves that car.
so amazing to see someone still poking around here after so many years! What happened to the car? You ever got it repainted?
Old 10-31-2022, 03:09 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Tr4ckD4ys,
the Mercedes R129 SL600 was my wife's dream car over fifteen years ago, when we bought it. All these years later, she still loves it. About a year ago, my wife and daughter drove the Mercedes to a local store and parked it away from everyone in the parking lot. She heard an announcement over the PA system, "will the owner of the black Mercedes convertible please come to the front". A young man with a lifted truck parked next to her. He forgot he was parked next to a smaller car, when he went to leave. He drove almost all the way over the driver's side front fender. He was an active duty Marine and an honorable young man. He spoke to me on the phone...he was almost in tears because he was so upset about damaging my wife's pride and joy. I was just grateful that he went back inside the store and reported the accident.
The insurance company paid to replace & paint the fender and front bumper. I paid to finally have the hood repainted.
I still have the same 1999 996 that I bought from a fellow Rennlister, after he had a dashboard fire. It is my second 1999 996. I have been a 996 owner since about 2002. There aren't too many of the old timers left here. Several of them can probably be found on the turbo and GT3 forums. I still enjoy reading the posts here, I just don't chime in too often. Frequently, people post here when something has gone wrong with their car and they are trying to fix it...or they need to vent (like I did when I posted this rant fifteen years ago). My 996 has been so dependable that I don't have anything to complain about. When something small does need replaced, the search button is my friend. I would be hard pressed to find any repair that hasn't been covered here multiple times already.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mfletch:
Dr_Strangelove (10-31-2022), Eurocarguy911 (10-31-2022), Porschetech3 (10-31-2022), Type65 (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 08:30 AM
Goldenzrule
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Tr4ckD4ys,
the Mercedes R129 SL600 was my wife's dream car over fifteen years ago, when we bought it. All these years later, she still loves it. About a year ago, my wife and daughter drove the Mercedes to a local store and parked it away from everyone in the parking lot. She heard an announcement over the PA system, "will the owner of the black Mercedes convertible please come to the front". A young man with a lifted truck parked next to her. He forgot he was parked next to a smaller car, when he went to leave. He drove almost all the way over the driver's side front fender. He was an active duty Marine and an honorable young man. He spoke to me on the phone...he was almost in tears because he was so upset about damaging my wife's pride and joy. I was just grateful that he went back inside the store and reported the accident.
The insurance company paid to replace & paint the fender and front bumper. I paid to finally have the hood repainted.
I still have the same 1999 996 that I bought from a fellow Rennlister, after he had a dashboard fire. It is my second 1999 996. I have been a 996 owner since about 2002. There aren't too many of the old timers left here. Several of them can probably be found on the turbo and GT3 forums. I still enjoy reading the posts here, I just don't chime in too often. Frequently, people post here when something has gone wrong with their car and they are trying to fix it...or they need to vent (like I did when I posted this rant fifteen years ago). My 996 has been so dependable that I don't have anything to complain about. When something small does need replaced, the search button is my friend. I would be hard pressed to find any repair that hasn't been covered here multiple times already.
Glad she is still enjoying the car all these years later. I have a similar negative experience with 2 different dealerships that were both close to 3 hours away, one with my Audi S6 and one with my 996. Different issues, but both ****ty experiences. The 996 I did go look before buying and the car was filthy when I got there to look. It drove ok though and other than clearly needing a new top, it seemed decent enough. I scheduled to have a PPI done at a third party shop. They found a few small issues and I negotiated the price down accordingly. When I went to complete the purchase, the car was not present and being washed. I know now that this was done on purpose, as when everything was finalized, they brought the car out and I could see the scratches. On my 3 hour drive home, I had to stop multiple times as the low coolant light came on. Suffice to say the 3 hour drive didn't take 3 hours. I had the car in for a post purchase inspection at a local shop and had the coolant system flushed. In the end I got a high optioned car, and discovered its an X51 car which I did not know at the time. Pulling the build sheet and original sticker, I discovered this car was optioned up to $134,000 back in 2004. I still have to replace the top and will get it professionally detailed with paint correction at some point. The Audi experience was worse. I bought a aftermarket warranty and when I had a coolant leak leave me stranded and needing a tow, I discovered the dealership never purchased the warranty on the car. The service manager and general manager dodged my calls for 3 weeks while my car sat at the local dealership. ONLY after I contacted the state attorney general did I get any response. I've come to realize that any dealership that is not within normal driving distance should be avoided. They are all scum and I cannot be persuaded to believe otherwise. They see an out of state buyer and they just automatically turn on the screw them over mode.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:24 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,582 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Yep, buyer beware !!

New car and used car dealers sell cars like "commodities" ...just like a barrel of rice or beans....make sure you know what you are buying and check it out for yourself...
Old 11-01-2022, 10:17 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Goldenzrule, thank you. I'm sorry to hear about your two negative experiences with car dealers. At least on the Porsche, it sounds like you got a great car.
Porschetech, it sounds like you have a little more experience with car dealers than the rest of us.

I wasn't shy about naming the dealer that I bought the Mercedes from fifteen years ago. It seems only fair that I name a couple dealers/repair shops in the Sacramento area that I can't say enough good things about. I rebuilt two 996s that were burn victims. The first had a severe engine fire. Niello Porsche in Rocklin helped me out numerous times. At the time, the 996 had only been in production for a couple of years. I needed a wiring diagram for the engine compartment, but I was not up for shelling out over 2k for it. The service manager was kind enough to xerox it for me. This is only one example of the numerous times they went above and beyond to help me.

Another shop that I can't say enough good things about is Stewart's Automotive in Sacramento. They primarily specialize in British and Italian cars. The owner, Stewart, rebuilt the transmission in a 1959 Maserati 3500 that I was restoring. It took over a year for me to locate a NOS second gear. After I installed the transmission in the car, I discovered that second gear still didn't work. He tried to refund me all of the money that I paid him, including what he spent on parts. I would not let him refund what he spent on parts; however, he refunded everything I paid for labor. Two other shops tried to repair the transmission and were unsuccessful.....one of the shops was an exotic car repair shop in the bay area....the other was the a gentleman in Italy who installed the transmission in my car at the Maserati factory in 1959. The transmission finally had to go to the ZF factory. They fixed it in a few hours.
I'm sure for most of us car guys the good experiences with car dealers and repair shops far outweigh the bad. Unfortunately, the bad ones tend to be harder to forget.

Last edited by Mfletch; 11-01-2022 at 10:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mfletch:
Dr_Strangelove (11-02-2022), JohnCA58 (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: I Got Screwed By Mercedes Benz of Pleasanton...Pictures Attached