New Gremlin: windows roll down a random amount when I close the door

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Gremlin: windows roll down a random amount when I close the door

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has seen this or knows what this is. Just this morning both my driver and passenger side windows will roll down a random amount when I close the door.

Car is unlocked, windows up and I am just exiting the car and when the door closes the window goes down a bit and stays there ranging from 1/8 to 1/4 down.

Any leads would be appreciated??

Last edited by Paul 996; 04-24-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

sounds like a regulator is going south
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly the same problem with the passenger window in my C2. You never knew how much it would go down. Might drop the usual 1/4 inch. Might go down half way. Sometimes it would go all the way down.

The dealer replaced the regulator inside the door.

-Charles
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

darn, so I need both regulators at the same time. What are the odds of that ! LoL. Time to look for a DIY. I may as well upgrade the speakers if I am in the same neighborhood..

Funny how this works ;-)
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
adybuncio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to mine, and I was installing my steering wheel, so I had to disconnect my battery, few months after my window never went down again
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
darn, so I need both regulators at the same time. What are the odds of that ! LoL. Time to look for a DIY. I may as well upgrade the speakers if I am in the same neighborhood..

Funny how this works ;-)
That also gives the perfect excuse to upgrade your wheels. You say "WFT are you talking about, Tim?" Stay with me here because I don’t want to have to explain this twice..

This is your conversation with your wife: Honey, remember the problem I have been having with the windows on the Porsche? Well, the guys on the Porsche Forum (you NEVER mention WHICH Porsche Forum though) told me what was causing it, the window regulators are shot. When both of them go at the same time there is usually an "outside" agency, which causes this. In my case the speakers were damaged causing a harmonic distortion which affected the window regulator motors. So, I have to swap the speakers also.

What's that, Honey? You want to know what caused the speakers to get damaged? Well, the guys noticed that I have the Aero kit on my car and... oh, you know, the side skirts and the wing.... well, any way, since I have side skirts with the narrow offset wheels, this combination creates a sort of vacuum because of the air flow around the back of the front wheels and causes a vibration on the side skirts which damages the speakers, which in turn, damaged the regulators.

So to resolve that problem, they said I need to get a different set of wheels with a wider offset to counter balance the vacuum caused by the airflow. Yeah Honey, I’ll be able to trade the wheels and get a good amount credit toward the new wheels.

So, there you have it..... new wheels of your choice! Oh, BTW, make sure you post pics of the new wheels when you get 'em!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wifey may have snappy comeback, like: "I understand everything you just said. Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to pull off the aero kit?"
Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by VGM911
Wifey may have snappy comeback, like: "I understand everything you just said. Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to pull off the aero kit?"
No, Honey it wouldn't. I would have to replace the front bumber, remove the skirts and the rear wing, get a new deck lid for the engine,. THen the body shop would have to paint the new front bumper, rear deck lid and sand and repaint the side of the car where the side skirts were. That would be over $6 to $7 grand and would also deminish the value of the car by ablut $4 to $5 grand when I went to sell it.

...... and it that dosen't work, try this: PLEASE, Honey, can I get some new wheels????
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

That is too funny. I just had to explain to the kids what daddy was laughing at on the 'puter'.

Some good logic there. I like how your brain works Unfortunately or fortunately for me, my wife is one of those smarty pants PhDs but who also happens to love cars so while the the 2nd approach of "puhleese can I get new wheels" is more likely to be received but is just countered with yeah as long I let her get a set of summer wheels too.

Last edited by Paul 996; 04-25-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, I want what ever you're on!

And can I hire your services for my next upgrade argument, sorry discussion
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Tim, I want what ever you're on!

And can I hire your services for my next upgrade argument, sorry discussion
Yes, the Doctor in in! Step into my office!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Ferry's ghost syndrome. Not entirely uncommon in the early 996's.

Quick Reply: New Gremlin: windows roll down a random amount when I close the door