996 Ownership costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst
Pfft... Nissan just charged me $250 to replace the high-beam headlight on my 350Z that I'm selling. I doubt it can be THAT much worse with the new 996.
Wow! I would have sold it as-is!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My independent is $115 and dealer is $130
Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 AM
evansaero
Pro

Orient Express]Boy, somebody saw you coming.....

A complete clutch replacement should cost no more than $800 which includes parts and 3-4 hours labor max. (book on clutch replacement is 4 hours, most techs can do it is 2.5 hours) The parts that need to be replaced (clutch plate, pressure plate, and throwout bearing are under $400)

The only time a flywheel needs to be replaced on a 996 is when it has been subjected to repeated abuse from dumping the clutch. 98% of the time all a flywheel needs to have done to it is to have the surface cleaned.

When Porsche designed the 996, they contracted to Toyota to maximize the serviceability of the car, and make it easy and cheap to repair and replace things like the powertrain. Did you know that the entire powertrain can be R&R in under 3 hours?
"Serviceability of the car"

First, what you are talking about is called LEAN and it was developed by Toyota to focus on reduction of the Toyota 'seven wastes' in order to improve overall customer value. It's use in the Manufacturing Process and not for techs replacing a powertrain.

Second, Porsche’s lean initiative was started in 1991 and in a 5 year period, Porsche doubled its productivity in operations while cutting defects in supplier parts by 90 percent and cut first-time-through errors in-house by more than 55 percent. By 1997, it had launched two highly manufacturable products after only three years of development work, cut the needed manufacturing space in half, shortened lead times from raw materials to finished vehicle from six weeks to three days, and cut parts inventories by 90 percent

As far as the Clutch and Fly replacement goes I did not pay for labor. The P-dealer ate the cost on that when they had to replace the RMS. On the paper work that I received it stated 8 hours. I’m sure it did not take that long, but I’d bet the tech that did the job wants to get paid the correct book rate. My guess is you could R&R the powertrain in 3 hours, but what tech is only going to charge 3 hours. I don't think so

Look at what this guy’s labor is going to be

The Flywheel had to be replace. I even took a look at it and was in bad shape. I paid full retail price on both the clutch and flywheel. I didn’t have a leg to stand on to haggle on the price for the OEM parts with my dealer and I want my car back instead of calling around to save 2-3 hundred dollars, but then again I didn’t have to pay for labor not even 1 hour.

So honestly I don't think anyone saw me coming as you put it They were only to happy to see me leave

Last edited by evansaero; 04-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Woodenewe
Intermediate

Thank you all for the information. I think I have worked a fair deal on buying the car, and the price is far enough under the low blue book that I feal comfortable buying now, realizing that the car will need major maintenance sometime in the future. All I can do is hope it is later than sooner. Since I am buying from a private party, no warranty is expressed or implied. He is the second owner and Stuttgart verified maintenance has been consistently done per factory schedule. The PPI did not raise undue concerns and those issues that need attention (tires, alignment) will be corrected.

Are there meaningful "warranties" available for me to purchase? I would appreciate information on how to get and how much one might cost.

Quick Reply: 996 Ownership costs