Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche Stock Sport Exhaust Heavier & Slower?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys know that most if not all local vendor dyno runs are more art than science?

Unless you can hold constant, have control over the multiple variables in this thing called life and the environment that we live in, that 9-10HP gain is subject to the variance range that may well be + or - 10% or more.

I mean look, if it makes you feel like you're going faster which imo is a byproduct of you trying to justify your cost whether you're a man about it or not, it was "worth" it to you and thus solidified its value. You'll then go on to pontificate to others in car clubs, online forums, etc that X product did great for your car and this propagates itself over and over again...

It's all about adding to the bottomline of what we call a passion and love for our 911s.

Let's not split hairs about nominal 5-15hp gains. So you gained... now what? That Turbo's still wiping your **** in the straights.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 PM
CaliColin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides, even if you gain 5-15HP on the peak but lose as little as 5HP at other points on the tach, you're just moving the pile of dirt around. If substantial gains exist, there would be no debate. Example: Can anyone dispute that bolting on a turbo increases power? No debate.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Settle thy heart.

No basic aftermarket bolt-on such as an exhaust is going to give you any sort of power advantage over a stock unit and this is true for naturally aspirated engines.

It's for sound and looks and that goes along way to enhancing the driving/ownership experience, imo. The PSE unit sounds insanely good and it's the only way to fly the 911.
The Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) is for "Sport Sound" only. Porsche does not claim any performance gain from these exhausts because there is none. The PSE Carrera/GT3 mufflers are actually the same as the regular 3-chamber stock mufflers, just with a partial bypass coming off the second chamber to add sound. Although it does partially bypass 1 chamber in the muffler to increase sound, it does so abruptly as to not increase flow. Call Ruf Autocentre and talk to anyone in the shop about their dyno results: absolutely 0 gain; even on an R Turbo coversion with the Turbo PSE. Although the 997 Carrera PSE version bypasses some of the exhaust from inlet to outlet, it does so with restrictive bends and a very small bypass tube. Since they are actually modified stock mufflers with valves, they are heavier than the stock mufflers. Ruf does not detract people from buying them as they do have a significant sound improvement, but they will tell you straight up there is no power gain.

I went with a pair of Fabspeeds due to their solid reputation, claims of no resonancne and straight through design. My personal car gained 22 RWHP from the pair of Fabspeed mufflers and a K&N 63-series intake. My peak numbers increased from 270.1 rwhp @ 6200 rpms to 292.1 RWHP at 6600 rpms on a Dynojet 248C. I gained 14 RWHP at 4400 rpms and almost 30 RWHP at the redline. I don't know the power gain between the mufflers and the intake as I never dynoed each separately. They mufflers are also roughly 30 lbs lighter than the stock mufflers (physically about half the size). You also don't realize how big and heavy the stock mufflers are until you remove them.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode in rcg412's '03 with PSE. That car sounds like a Forumula 1 car when it hits 100! Awesome sound above 4k rpm. Not my thing, because I like smooth and quiet, but the PSE does sound nice!!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
The Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) is for "Sport Sound" only. Porsche does not claim any performance gain from these exhausts because there is none. The PSE Carrera/GT3 mufflers are actually the same as the regular 3-chamber stock mufflers, just with a partial bypass coming off the second chamber to add sound. Although it does partially bypass 1 chamber in the muffler to increase sound, it does so abruptly as to not increase flow. Call Ruf Autocentre and talk to anyone in the shop about their dyno results: absolutely 0 gain; even on an R Turbo coversion with the Turbo PSE. Although the 997 Carrera PSE version bypasses some of the exhaust from inlet to outlet, it does so with restrictive bends and a very small bypass tube. Since they are actually modified stock mufflers with valves, they are heavier than the stock mufflers. Ruf does not detract people from buying them as they do have a significant sound improvement, but they will tell you straight up there is no power gain.

I went with a pair of Fabspeeds due to their solid reputation, claims of no resonancne and straight through design. My personal car gained 22 RWHP from the pair of Fabspeed mufflers and a K&N 63-series intake. My peak numbers increased from 270.1 rwhp @ 6200 rpms to 292.1 RWHP at 6600 rpms on a Dynojet 248C. I gained 14 RWHP at 4400 rpms and almost 30 RWHP at the redline. I don't know the power gain between the mufflers and the intake as I never dynoed each separately. They mufflers are also roughly 30 lbs lighter than the stock mufflers (physically about half the size). You also don't realize how big and heavy the stock mufflers are until you remove them.
Great. Please scan and post the dyno runs. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Porsche Stock Sport Exhaust Heavier & Slower?