Sponsored by:

Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles

So this sound turned out to be serious. Dealer claims they found metal shavings in the oil. New engine is on order. Thank god for the warranty.

A little background: i got the car 6 months ago with 16K miles on it. When i bought it the car had RMS fixed. I put on about 6,000 miles on the car since. I never abuse it, no aftermarket engine mods, always warmup for a few minutes before i drive it, keep an eye on the oil level.

So.. should i be concerned? Not sure what exactly went wrong with existing engine, will try to get more details from the dealer.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jkb - really sorry to hear about the issue - glad you had warranty cover.

Of course these engines apparently fail so rarely that it's statistically not happened at all.....

If you get any more details on what caused the alleged failure - I'm sure everyone would love to know the cause.

You think the dealership will be forthcoming - or is it impossible to tell without a strip-down?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Of course these engines apparently fail so rarely that it's statistically not happened at all.....
Touche'

In all seriousness though, not knowing the treatment of it for the first 16K miles is something that cannot be overlooked. I could have already been on it's way out before you starting those 6K miles you put on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Touche'

In all seriousness though, not knowing the treatment of it for the first 16K miles is something that cannot be overlooked. I could have already been on it's way out before you starting those 6K miles you put on it.
heh.. yeah, i think the previous owner was an idiot. at least i get to break in the new engine properly.

so... where do i read up on porsche engine break-in tips?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkb
So this sound turned out to be serious. Dealer claims they found metal shavings in the oil. New engine is on order. Thank god for the warranty.

A little background: i got the car 6 months ago with 16K miles on it. When i bought it the car had RMS fixed. I put on about 6,000 miles on the car since. I never abuse it, no aftermarket engine mods, always warmup for a few minutes before i drive it, keep an eye on the oil level.

So.. should i be concerned? Not sure what exactly went wrong with existing engine, will try to get more details from the dealer.
Which dealer is this?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That is awesome for you! Brand new and ready to start a long relationship.

As for break-in, follow what the manual says.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:33 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb

There is a known problem with the early 03's. Porsche didn't torque down the chain tensioners properly and they occassionally fail. There are a lot of early 03's they replaced the engines in. 2 of the cars I looked at when I was shopping were early 03's with new engines because of this. They seam to fail in the 15-20k range. I wouldn't be very concerned since they are doing the replacement.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by discoganya
Which dealer is this?
carlsen... while stevens creek is closer, i trust my service adviser there since he seem to have a clue plus that is where i got the car (stevens creek blew me off during my shopping experience)
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
jkb
Racer

just got an update from my service adviser:

"Hey there,
The engine is here! The clutch has plenty of life remaining, looks good.

We won't ever know what exactly took place, we have confirmed there are
metal shavings in the engine, that is good enough for Porsche to replace
it. They won't pay tear down and diagnosis time to see exactly what
failed. The break in is like when the car was new, keep out of the
higher rpm for the first 1000/2000 miles. I wouldn't bother changing the
oil till next year."
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
just got an update from my service adviser:

"Hey there,
The engine is here! The clutch has plenty of life remaining, looks good.

We won't ever know what exactly took place, we have confirmed there are
metal shavings in the engine, that is good enough for Porsche to replace
it. They won't pay tear down and diagnosis time to see exactly what
failed. The break in is like when the car was new, keep out of the
higher rpm for the first 1000/2000 miles. I wouldn't bother changing the
oil till next year."
Pretty much what I was told about my 04 engine that failed at 5k miles. Though my SA told me these engines have already been tested and go ahead and drive it, and not worry about break it other than do not go over 4k rpm until 180 degrees. I figured I would break it in properly anyway even though I broke in the last one properly and it didn't matter since it failed at 5k miles. Anway, enjoy the new engine! It is good they cover these and it is not out of pocket.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
carlsen... while stevens creek is closer, i trust my service adviser there since he seem to have a clue plus that is where i got the car (stevens creek blew me off during my shopping experience)
I also had bad experiences at Stevens Creek when I was still living in Cupertino CA. Took the car there just once to find out that they are crooks. I am glad I don't have to go back there ever again. With a new engine, your car is now upgraded to "brand-new" status Enjoy...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Botsy67
I also had bad experiences at Stevens Creek when I was still living in Cupertino CA. Took the car there just once to find out that they are crooks. I am glad I don't have to go back there ever again. With a new engine, your car is now upgraded to "brand-new" status Enjoy...
You are quite right ... Stevens Creek guys are crooks. Sell you expensive parts (often double the MSRP), over charge for labor and make stupid excuses like "parts will have to be special ordered from Germany". Too bad I'm stuck with them for my RMS / IMS leaks, cam cover leaks, etc. For anything else I always use Carlsen (very honest & reasonable) or an Indy.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was shopping for my 996, Stevens Creek didnt even seem to want to come out and help me at all... like they didnt believe i could buy one.
Carlsen have been great with test drives and the cab window fix (Stevens Creek said this was not possible and wanted to charge me $2500 or so !)
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Are they getting you a new engine, or a remanufactured engine?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reman you will not a get a new engine, with that said
how many people have had more then one engine replaced on the same car ?
probaly less people have had reman engines fail then their original

Quick Reply: Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles