Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New to the Forum: '01 911 C4 (convert from the rice rockets)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 AM
GunKata
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum: '01 911 C4 (convert from the rice rockets)

Hello everyone,

Former owner of a WRX wagon, WRX STi, Evo IX MR, 944 (years back), I have now finally got a hold of the car I used to always dream over. Once I get some posts made on here, I will be able to post up the pics. I am taking the car to the track this friday

I've done a little searching, but with an NA engine, whats the best way to make some additional power? exhaust and re-flash? I've heard some of the reflashes are quite expensive with very minimal results. Also, who does supercharging on these and what kind of results are seen?

Thanks for any info you guys have. I plan on researching a lot and and trying to learn as much about the pcars as I did about the STi/Evo.

John

and here's one of the STi at the track:

Last edited by GunKata; 04-17-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy your kraut turtle

if you weren't happy with stock speed, you should've gotten a turbo
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
GunKata
Advanced

I am pretty happy with stock speed, but never hurts for more. Couldn't afford the turbo...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a really pretty car. Can we get more info, miles/options. STI's are sweet cars, Im curious to see how you compare these two.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool car, welcome!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

Nice car! Congrats and Welcome
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

very nice. but don't rice rockets refer to bikes?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GunKata
I am pretty happy with stock speed, but never hurts for more. Couldn't afford the turbo...
If you cant afford the Turbo, chances are you dont want to spend the money to supercharge. A full install you're looking at over $10k and that'll get you another 100hp.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

I have nearly the same exact car and I adore it! 01 C4 miles38K, Black on Black, on 18's with turbo twist rims. Always looking for any excuse to get in and drive...even take the long (i.e. twisty) way home. You'll love the C4 in the rain and snow.

Congratulations and Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
GunKata
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys. Ah, I guess rice rocket could go either way - heh, I have one of those too - for when you want to go REALLY fast.

The car has only 24K on the clock, 6spd, leather sport seats, sunroof and the pictured wheels/aero kit as options.

lowside - $10K installed for 100hp? I would save towards it! haha.. as for now, turbos are still too much and I really want to try and keep this car. So we will see what, if anything, I do to this. Or if I just hold out down the line (4-5 yrs) to pick up a used WRX/STi again and go full out on that or an Elise.

Comparing to the STi/Evo... the Evo MR stock handles with precision, moreso than the 911. The MR is a beast. STi had more power/grunt down low and the turbo kicks in very nicely. I had taken on (and thoroughly pissed off) a 996 C4S on the highway with ease. Turbos are fun!

With this car, I really love the way it looks, handles, drives, and how comfortable it is compared to the Japanese econo racers - it only leaves a slight want for more speed, but not much. I wanted the C4 because of how accustomed I had gotten to AWD with the imports.

We will see.. I will research more my options - exhaust, reflash and otherwise and go from there.

Again, thanks guys! glad to join the club here and own such a beautiful piece of automotive history.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 PM
GunKata
Advanced

Just got back from the track...

The GOOD:

Acceleration was pretty damn good for non-turbo car (what I'm used to).

Handling was superb for a stock car ( I expected this one )

Trans seemed very smooth and easy to work with.

The BAD - Smoke coming out the left bank/exhaust pipe when taking two specific hard rights on the course. A Porsche mechanic at the track said this was "normal". I called the Porsche tuner/shop that I took the car to for inspection and they said - bring it in when you can, watch your oil and "you should be alright". Needless to say, I went out for another run and then I called it a day. The dipstick did indicate that it "ate" or smoked out about a quart maybe.

Was that actually normal?

OVERALL - very pleased with the car, but now concerned about this smoke/oil issue. Maybe I should have got the Elise with the Toyota engine in it instead!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Su-weet. I am covetting your wheels and carrera wing. You may have a twin before long.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
jacksonking
Racer

but you need to consider an amberectomy. check the archives. it also looks like you might have 993 exhaust tips. yours are tiny. I bought a silver WRX wagon for the wife the first week they came out. it was a boxter killer at DEs at Sebring. Love the 996 and you will too. welcome. would also appreciate a side view of the wing when you have a chance.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

GunKata - Congrats and Welcome to Rennlist. Very nice l@@king P-car! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonking
it also looks like you might have 993 exhaust tips. yours are tiny.
They look like stock 3.4L tips to me, and they do have a 996 part #.
Identical to those on my car.
There are optional "big oval" tips available (which you may have), I think Dell's wife's car has them. Maybe he'll post a pic.

Congrats on the 996, GunKata

Quick Reply: New to the Forum: '01 911 C4 (convert from the rice rockets)