Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mxdave74
I'm mystified by this thread... there must be something wrong with me because I have no problem stalling my car or feel it has a variable engagment point.

What I'm not wild about is that the beginning of the engagement point is roughly half way out from fully depressed to the floor. I much prefer engagement that begins early... in fact I added a clutch stop on my Dinan5 that eliminates the lower 1/4 of the clutch pedal travel.

Still.... I'm perplexed that so many have this problem to consider spring assist removal, and it isn't even on my radar. Guess I'll go count lucky stars?
All Porsche' clutch pedal setups suck. Even a Honda provides better control and feel for it's clutches. The purpose of the mod is to get a better feel and control of the clutch...not to prevent stalling.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes the elusive clutch feel... I think I'd still vote 1st for moving initial clutch bite closer to the floor, That's what affects feel the most for me. By the time the pedal is in its last 1/3 of travel and it's just now really hooking up drives me nuts! Anyone know of a source for an enhanced clutch stop. I haven't even looked under the dash to take a look at whether there's a bumper on the floor for this pedal?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought a clutch that catches closer to the floor is on it's way out? No?

My '87 Integra that I bought new used to have a clutch take-up adjustment between on the clutch cable where it came out of the fire wall. You could adjust it higher, or lower. Not sure how good that was for the clutch though...I went through 3 of them in 20k miles!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
My '87 Integra that I bought new used to have a clutch take-up adjustment between on the clutch cable where it came out of the fire wall. You could adjust it higher, or lower. Not sure how good that was for the clutch though...I went through 3 of them in 20k miles!
My '86 Teg was the same way. The reason was that it was not a hydraulic clutch and hence not self adjusting. The adjustment was there such that when it wore you could adjust it so it would not slip. If you didn't adjust it correctly, specifically if there wasn't enough play at the top of the travel then it would definitely, definitely wear out the clutch.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA
My '86 Teg was the same way. The reason was that it was not a hydraulic clutch and hence not self adjusting. The adjustment was there such that when it wore you could adjust it so it would not slip. If you didn't adjust it correctly, specifically if there wasn't enough play at the top of the travel then it would definitely, definitely wear out the clutch.
Oops. Good thing the dealer replaced two of the clutches! Those were the days. I don't miss the awful gearing in the early Integras. When I was in 5th on the highway, it felt like I was in 3rd, and had nowhere to go!

PS--I just figured out what a "Teg" was!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Idrinkv8888888
Banned

did this mod the other night in maybe 6 minutes. Great feel to it. Anybody skeptical about doing it please dont worry. At first youll feel like your driving sombody elses car or even move your seat closer to get the extra pressure but its so worth it when your downshifting and trying to feel your way in. Thanks for the write-ups
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am bringing this post up from the dead.

I am having a small issue that I can only attribute to this mod.

Can someone explain how is the "cruise control switch" by the clutch pedal affect driveability if it is "not" functioning correctly?

Let me explain further. I will drive...car feels fine...then out of nowhere, as soon as I shift the car feels like "bogs" in between shifts...as soon as this happens, I can usually "fix" the problem by reaching down and pressing on the switch...problem goes away...after a while...it happens again...I reach, same operation, and problem fix......???????????

Further...when the "problem" occurs, the cruise control seems to be working fine...while reaching down there...and pressing the button, while it alleviates the "boggin" issue during shifting, then the cruise control won't work...

I am puzzled...is my "cc" switch going bad? I can't figure it out...yet I am tired of reaching down there...

How does this switch work exactly? Can someone please explain as that maybe will help me figure out this issue...I am getting tired of reaching down there like I had an itch on my toes....
Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I am bringing this post up from the dead.

I am having a small issue that I can only attribute to this mod.

Can someone explain how is the "cruise control switch" by the clutch pedal affect driveability if it is "not" functioning correctly?

Let me explain further. I will drive...car feels fine...then out of nowhere, as soon as I shift the car feels like "bogs" in between shifts...as soon as this happens, I can usually "fix" the problem by reaching down and pressing on the switch...problem goes away...after a while...it happens again...I reach, same operation, and problem fix......???????????

Further...when the "problem" occurs, the cruise control seems to be working fine...while reaching down there...and pressing the button, while it alleviates the "boggin" issue during shifting, then the cruise control won't work...

I am puzzled...is my "cc" switch going bad? I can't figure it out...yet I am tired of reaching down there...

How does this switch work exactly? Can someone please explain as that maybe will help me figure out this issue...I am getting tired of reaching down there like I had an itch on my toes....
By removing the return spring you are removing the full pressure to push the clutch pedal all the way out and trigger the cruise switch. Someone warned of this way back in one of the early responses.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
By removing the return spring you are removing the full pressure to push the clutch pedal all the way out and trigger the cruise switch. Someone warned of this way back in one of the early responses.
Loren...I don't think you understand the situation. I am full aware of it. However...how can my cruise control be working if "even" if the switch toggle is pulled out all the way towards the clutch, and there is still no contact....?? Further...how can that have ANYTHING to do with the car "boggin' down" when the cruise is "operational"...and how can the "boggin'" sensation disappear when the cruise is non operational....??

My question is related to what exactly causes this boggin' when the cruise is operational...does the ECU sense something and retard timing or something of that nature....?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up This mod is amazing!

I did this mod this morning and I'm amazed! Not only did the funny spring noise go away but my clutch pedal has now the feel that it should have! I have no longer to guess where the clutch release point is but know exactly where it is. My shifts are much smoother and so much faster. The required effort to push the pedal is just fine; I actually like it more than with the spring. To avoid the free play of the clutch pedal and the issue with the cruise control, I put a little piece of rubber hose on the cruise control button; this works fine and eliminated the pedal's play completely. I just love this mod! Thanks to everyone for posting on this thread and convincing me to do this little mod!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
911audiophile
3rd Gear

I did the mod over the weekend and was similarly amazed by the improved feel but unhappy with the loose pedal. Didn't want to use an offset (such as rubber hose) to contact cruise control switch so I purchased the softer springs from McMaster-Carr as suggested earlier in this thread. The softer spring moves the clutch pedal to the proper "at rest" position and adds a little assistance throughout the entire clutch pedal travel -- just enough to take the edge off the ***** of my feet from my aluminum pedals (thanks Dutchie in NC). The best thing is that the feel is still dramatically improved. At the beginning of the pedal stroke (seems like 1" in my 2002 Coupe), you can tell that you're not pushing the clutch, just the pedal. That makes a huge difference for me, and the lack of a quickly rising pedal as you release the clutch. As I've read from others, my biggest issue was shifting smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I've stalled the car only once and that was due to inattention (stereo versus stoplight).

I have 5 extra springs that I'll gladly ship to anyone interested. MacMaster-Carr had a 6 piece minimum.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. A great mod. Now onto my exhaust...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
gasman123
Intermediate

Anybody tried this on 996tt? Is it the same clutch pedal setup? Sorry if this has been mentioned already somewhere in those 17 pages...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

OK. This is my next mod. Anyone have pics of exactly what I'm taking out. Tailwag posted them early in this thread, but I can't access them now...
Am I removing the entire orange cannister??
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll take one of your extra springs ! - I'm in Vancouver canada, but if you pop it in the mail I'm sure it''s cost a couple bucks at the most. Next time i'm in AZ I'll set you up with a beer (or two).

I'll pm my address.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Tailwag
Got your pics..Thanks!!
I'll get that done this w/e, then take it to the body shop Monday. it will be like driving a new car!!

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically