Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pic request: Rear Facing infant seat (<30lbs) fitted in the back seats of a 996 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pic request: Rear Facing infant seat (<30lbs) fitted in the back seats of a 996 Coupe

Title says it all. I couldn't find a pic anywhere on Rennlist. I've read that the front seats need to be pushed all the way to the front, leaving little room for the front passenger. A pic is worth a thousand words.

BTW, will (this) baby seat work in the "rear facing" + "back seat installed" mode?

The wife is due in July with our first

Last edited by discoganya; 03-28-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't comment on the baby seat but I am sure others will. Just wanted to say CONGRATS on the upcoming birth of your first child
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
ML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not recommended to put a rear facing baby seat in the back. Some do it but I went to see a professional installer and there was no way to put one that was safe enough for me to be comfortable. I know from this forum that others have done it (search "rear facing baby seat") but I personally waiting for my 7 month old to get to one year so I can install a front facing seat in the back.

You would consider the airbag deactivation seat (as per your link) that goes in the front seat but your wife will have to ride in the back!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discoganya

Congrats
Im very interested as well in this topic

Have my first child coming late May

I just figured I would drive the wife jeep for the first year
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
discoganya
Banned

Thank you Dell and Dominic

ML: This is really what I wanted to confirm. Does the Porsche seat fit at the back, facing the rear? If so, is it safe? And how much room does it allow for the front passenger (aka wife)? A pic is worth a thousand words. And I've searched all of Rennlist, there is no pic of a rear facing infant seat.

I want my kid to start with P-cars early, so can't wait 7 months !
Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Congratulations! After he/she arrives you might begin to wonder if you really should be spending your money on your car instead of college. Be strong! There is always community college and scholarships. lol

I have yet to take my 4 year old or 1 year old in my cab. 1) too much hassle moving the seats between cars 2) just an over abundance of caution.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Nico996C4
Intermediate

I have 2 pictures for you !!!
Same car so it works !!!

The seat belt is not installed correctly as it was just for the picture it shoud go through the plastic part with the blue arrow...

Regards from France.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ML
It is not recommended to put a rear facing baby seat in the back. Some do it but I went to see a professional installer and there was no way to put one that was safe enough for me to be comfortable. I know from this forum that others have done it (search "rear facing baby seat") but I personally waiting for my 7 month old to get to one year so I can install a front facing seat in the back.

You would consider the airbag deactivation seat (as per your link) that goes in the front seat but your wife will have to ride in the back!
Wouldn't recommend ever putting a baby in the front seat of any car, let alone your Porsche - even with the air bag deactivated. Front facing rear car seats should be used only when babies are 1 year AND 20 pounds or more.

Last edited by Phil G.; 03-28-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Nico996C4
Intermediate

When I installed the seat shown on the picture it was to see how easy (or uneasy) it was to do it.

To be fully honest, if you put one of these in your car the passenger will not have much space left but it fits and in the safest way otherwise I would have never done it.

My 3 years old daughter is now in a proper seat (not a real complete baby seat but the next level : sorry I do not know the word in English) and my youngest one is installed in a real seat facing the road at the back.

Have a good day at work, mine is finished :-)
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

An infant rear facing will fit in the back without a problem. I used a Graco without the base and you can remove the seat pad for more room. You can fit an adult in the front seat, it's tight, but we've driven 150 miles like this with no problem.

I too would not recommend puttng a rear facing car seat in the front seat, even with the airbag turned off.

Now my boy is in a rear facing convertable seat, a tighter fit in the back, but works. Sorry no pics for now.

i can be done and in my opinion is safe in the backseat.

Andy
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
discoganya
Banned

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
An infant rear facing will fit in the back without a problem. I used a Graco without the base and you can remove the seat pad for more room. You can fit an adult in the front seat, it's tight, but we've driven 150 miles like this with no problem.

I too would not recommend puttng a rear facing car seat in the front seat, even with the airbag turned off.

Now my boy is in a rear facing convertable seat, a tighter fit in the back, but works. Sorry no pics for now.

Andy
Andy, are you in the South Bay? Can I come by to check out the seat configuration sometime?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM
discoganya
Banned

Great! Thanks Nico.

When shopping for the 911, back seats were important to us for the (future) kid(s?). I'm glad to see that a baby can ride in the car from day one.

One thing that is still unclear: Can I fit the "Porsche Baby Safe" car seat in the back, in the rear-facing mode?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy
how do you secure the rear-facing carseat in the back without base?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

discoganya: Yes, I'm in Campbell. You are welcome to take a look but I will be out of town until next week Wed. Death in the family and will be at the funeral.

pl: the seats are designed to anchor in a car, sub-optimally, with out a base or LATCH system. The carseat it's self is molded to allow a seatbelt to pass through it and secure it in the seat. This great for travel, airplanes, taxi's, rental cars etc. and works well in a tight space like a porsche.
The base on a carseat is really there for the convienence of being able to clip in and out with out haveing to thread the seatbelt each time.

Andy
Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

discoganya: Yes, I'm in Campbell. You are welcome to take a look but I will be out of town until next week Wed. Death in the family and will be at the funeral.

pl: the seats are designed to anchor in a car, sub-optimally, with out a base or LATCH system. The carseat it's self is molded to allow a seatbelt to pass through it and secure it in the seat. This great for travel, airplanes, taxi's, rental cars etc. and works well in a tight space like a porsche.
The base on a carseat is really there for the convienence of being able to clip in and out with out haveing to thread the seatbelt each time.

Andy
thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Pic request: Rear Facing infant seat (<30lbs) fitted in the back seats of a 996 Coupe