Sponsored by:

What to look out for when buying a 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
vwrado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look out for when buying a 996

Hello everyone, I am going to be looking for an early model 996 next week and I want to know what to look out for when I got check them out. I was thinking about spending under $30k and looks like my options are 99-00 996. I have heared that the RMS goes bad and is that something where I can look under the car to see if its leaking? What are some other problems and questions I should ask for?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

get a PrePurchaseInspection done by a Porsche dealership... that is the starting point..
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
M3killa
Banned

Make sure the engine is in the back. Also, if no taco, it ain't cool.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
M3killa
Banned

RMS is not a big deal............... I'd be more concerned about paint work and collision damage. Also, good compression on engine. If you are going to be searching out a nice example, get ready to pay for it. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in seeking the same info....I understand the RMS may leak, but what is the deal with engine failures....is there any sign to look for, and what exactly fails? Also, are there any "typical" issues or items that commonly break on these models?

There seems to be quite a few cars in the $26-30K range with mileage ranging from 45-90K. On e-bay there's probably 7.....are they all junk or is it because it's the 3.4 that no one wants them? Some look really nice and some look plain depending on options.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Buy "Porsche 911 Buyers Guide" in paperback by Randy Leffingwell. It's very thorough. Expect that it takes patience to buy the right 996 at the right price. It's not a 2-week process. Prepare to think you've found the "one" a couple times and then have it fail PPI. Don't be impatient. The cost savings and joy of ownership is worth the homework and the wait.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

The book only covers up to MY01 is that correct?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
M3killa
Banned

Originally Posted by Marks951
I am in seeking the same info....I understand the RMS may leak, but what is the deal with engine failures....is there any sign to look for, and what exactly fails? Also, are there any "typical" issues or items that commonly break on these models?

There seems to be quite a few cars in the $26-30K range with mileage ranging from 45-90K. On e-bay there's probably 7.....are they all junk or is it because it's the 3.4 that no one wants them? Some look really nice and some look plain depending on options.
EXACTLY, you are shopping worn out cars. Ebay is the stomping ground for stuff people can't retail or don't want. The same goes for auctions. Find a nice example from an enthusiest or dealer.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think your pickings will be slim for a good car under $30k. Before you put your money down get an inspection by a mechnic familiar with 996's.

Cars that are cheaper than the norm are usually priced that way for a reason.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by M3killa
EXACTLY, you are shopping worn out cars. Ebay is the stomping ground for stuff people can't retail or don't want. The same goes for auctions. Find a nice example from an enthusiest or dealer.
not true
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 AM
vwrado
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone...I do believe that with the right knowledge, I can score a 996 for a little under 30k.

I have heard that some cars needed to replace the engine at less than 100k miles while I heard numerous other people that saids their 996 last over 120k.

What are some of the common problems found in 996?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vwrado
Thanks for the input everyone...I do believe that with the right knowledge, I can score a 996 for a little under 30k.

I have heard that some cars needed to replace the engine at less than 100k miles while I heard numerous other people that saids their 996 last over 120k.

What are some of the common problems found in 996?

Car's are like people...you can tell which ones were loved. I'm close to hitting 100K miles and it's running great....always properly warmed up, serviced, and most importantly driven....I would buy one that was driven on a regular basis as opposed to a garage queen.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Originally Posted by M3killa
I would sure like to see your list of credentials afforming your value judgement of what I ASSume you are calling ALL cars on eBay. I have bought and sold MANY cars on eBay ID: bernocco and have a perfect record - go check - with only ONE bad purchase! OH BTW, IT WAS FROM A DEALER IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to keep your pitiful thoughts to yourself and stop steering honest people into your gutter mind way of thinking.

Take a hike,
eric
Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 AM
jacksonking
Racer

Ebay is an avenue for scammers and con artists. It is also an avenue for folks like me to shop for used Porsche parts nationwide with photos and honest people. As always -- "buyer beware." Do your homework, know what you want, buy from sellers with favorable ratings. I have only been scammed once. (a vintage wristwatch. no shipping. no email response.) I have bought a Miata, a 993, a Jaguar Vanden Plas, a Honda Odyssey, and numerous other items. I have sold stuff too. I love ebay and I search for porsche items everyday. I maintain my cars well and when it's time to sell -- off to Ebay they go!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

My specs for shopping right now (I'm searching for a good 02/03):

- Be aware of cars that have too low or too high mileage
- Don't buy anything from the SE states
- Don't buy any cars that have seen multiple states or more than two owners. One is prefered.
- Don't buy a car that has no option codes sticker under the hood
- Don't buy a car that does not have complete service records showing proper maintenance (oil changes on time, etc)
- Don't buy a car from someone who doesn't know their car or Porsches in general.
- Get a full PPI done. This is my list of cobbled together request that most good PPIs would cover from what I gather. By no means a full list, just things I personally make sure they cover:

- check every panel with a paint gauge
- RMS
- accident on body
- compression test
- leakdown test
- emissions test
- type1 and type2 overrevs, durametric test
- RMS
- coolant tank cracked? oil/coolant mixing?

Quick Reply: What to look out for when buying a 996