Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Found an amazing deal...no PSM....so torn! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found an amazing deal...no PSM....so torn! Advice?

Have been looking for an 00-02, prefer 02 for engine torque and reliability and 02 year changes. Virtually have to bring from the US as it saves $10-$15k. Downside is harder to resell up here, and more risk/pain involved in cross border shopping.

An '03 deal locally has dropped into my lap. I can get it VERY cheap and it has as good a history as you can get, zero worries. Also very low mileage. Priced slightly higher than my original budget but it's a VERY good deal. I can get it significantly cheaper than I could bring any '02 up from the states for...and I prefer to buy locally. But since it's over budget I'd not want to have to put any more $ into it.

Problem is I really want aero and PSM. Aero I can live with the side skirts only...that's $1k, doable as a retrofit. Vancouver gets a lot of rain and PSM has been a mandatory for me. This particular car doesn't have PSM.

How important is PSM? Should I let it kill an amazing deal on a very low mileage '03? This will be a daily driver in a relatively rainy climate. Probably no tracking. I have a G35 and drive it 98% of the time without kicking it's PSM equivalent in, and could reduce that 2% with more careful driving.

I've not researched but I'm assuming PSM is NOT able to be added after the fact, I'd be astonished, but...haven't asked anyone yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Have been looking for an 00-02, prefer 02 for engine torque and reliability and 02 year changes. Virtually have to bring from the US as it saves $10-$15k. Downside is harder to resell up here, and more risk/pain involved in cross border shopping.

An '03 deal locally has dropped into my lap. I can get it VERY cheap and it has as good a history as you can get, zero worries. Also very low mileage. Priced slightly higher than my original budget but it's a VERY good deal. I can get it significantly cheaper than I could bring any '02 up from the states for...and I prefer to buy locally. But since it's over budget I'd not want to have to put any more $ into it.

Problem is I really want aero and PSM. Aero I can live with the side skirts only...that's $1k, doable as a retrofit. Vancouver gets a lot of rain and PSM has been a mandatory for me. This particular car doesn't have PSM.

How important is PSM? Should I let it kill an amazing deal on a very low mileage '03? This will be a daily driver in a relatively rainy climate. Probably no tracking. I have a G35 and drive it 98% of the time without kicking it's PSM equivalent in, and could reduce that 2% with more careful driving.

I've not researched but I'm assuming PSM is NOT able to be added after the fact, I'd be astonished, but...haven't asked anyone yet.
You sound really happy about this find. I say go for it
Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

I don't have PSM on my '00 C2 Cab either and live pretty well without it (not a daily driver though). You've to adjust your driving style a little as the 911 has a heavy rear end and if it breaks loose, then it's hard to catch it again. However, after 2-3 spins you probably know how to control/avoid it. The ultimate 911, the GT3 has no PSM either, so go and get your '03. I'd not be too concerned about it. 15 years ago no one talked about traction control.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Depends on your driving style. If you're an aggressive street driver then PSM is probably a plus. If you enjoy the car moderately then there should be no issues. If you have some track experience then there should be no worries. Overall, PSM if never missed unless you find yourself in a situation where you NEED it. You can't plan for those situations, and even the best drivers make mistakes. Nonetheless, the car is not a death trap with out it. As stated above the more powerful, trickier to drive fast GT3 comes without PSM. For the record, my car doesn't have PSM.

-KJ
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i agree..... if you really know how to drive your car, i think the PSM is just a pre-caution or a maybe i need it, but if you are not familiar with the P-car and won't be tracking for experience, i say wait until you find one with the PSM........GL.... sounds like you have a nice one there.......i say go for it and learn to drive the hell out of it.....
Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I have had my car 6 months and I have yet to see PSM kicking in (never seen the light flashing), despite trying a few times to try and force it. I know I know, I should be more agressive....but I certainly don't baby the car.

I think it's a great psychological aid and I certainly wanted it when I found my car......but maybe in the real world you don't need it so often.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My Boxster does not have PSM, but my 911 does. The PSM is nice to have in the snow, but it's not at all necessary. I find it can be obtrusive (even on the street) but it is better than the systems on other makes (BMW comes to mind).

There is absolutely no reason you should have to have this system to drive the car in any conditions. The 996 can bite, but honestly you have to push it pretty hard in street driving to make that happen.

Bottom line, it's a nice safety net but not really necessary IMHO.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

PSM only kicks in when the yellow /!\ illuminates, correct?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
laneskelton
Pro

I don't have PSM, and I like it that way. 996's are very nuetral compared with older 911's and they didn't have PSM. I had the equivalent on my BMW and hated it. It made the car scary to drive in wet weather. These 996's have sooooo much grip that you don't need PSM
Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

How about "soooooo" much grip on wet roads? Since our roads are wet half the year. It has 295s on the back :O
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
lanny
Racer

If it were me PSM would not be a deal breaker even if were to be my daily driver.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:52 PM
s14roller
Racer

All I know is the 996 with decent tires and PSM was THE most solid car I've ever driven in the rain.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

It's raining lately and I may have a chance to test drive this car soon. Maybe I should try pushing it (in a safe environment) and see what it takes to make it break grip. I'm probably being over paranoid with the PSM requirement for sure, but...have to be careful when it comes to safety.

Last edited by BrockPorsche; 03-21-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I have it in my C4S (I think it's standard on the model). I think it is a fabulous option the way Porshe sets it up. It rarely intrudes when you don't want it but there have been a few situations where the "little man" saved my butt when I least expected it. So for me it would be a deal breaker. But a question for you is if you will track the car and how aggresively you will drive on the street. If you're a particularly mild driver then maybe PSM is irrelevant. Bottom line is there really is no right or wrong answer. It depends on your driving style more than anything else.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an '00 with no PSM. I drive it in the rain and in sub-zero temps (with summer tires). I'm not going to lie to you, I would have preferred to have PSM for my planned DE days. But I can also tell you that I haven't so much as chirped a tire on the street. The limits of the car are so stupid-high that I'm very confident you could live without it if you otherwise loved the car.

Quick Reply: Found an amazing deal...no PSM....so torn! Advice?