Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Found an amazing deal...no PSM....so torn! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have it and it's kicked in a few times, but when I was screwing around and not seriously driving it. The times it has kicked it I was on wet roads and pushing it around corners. On dry roads I've pushed the car pretty hard through a super curvey 15 miles and it was never close to coming on (at least I don't think so). Overall I agree with above that it's more about driving style than anything else. If the car is a good deal, go for it. You can always trade if one with PSM comes along that you like.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not such a mild driver, but I'm not insane. I'd say I'm in the 75% quartile of aggressiveness I can kick the PSM in on my G35 (VDC) taking corners sometimes. But the 295s on the back of a 911 are bit wider and stickier than my 225s not to mention chassis/etc differences.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
laneskelton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a few G35s and those things will peel out for ever without the traction control on. The 911 is way different. In a G35 you can light up the rear wheels with a quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This is impossible in a 996 unless it's wet out. I am fast driver and drive my car on windy roads everyday in the Santa Cruz mountains and have never wished I had PSM.
Buy the car if you like it!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Get the local one. I have PSM. The PSM indicator so far only comes on when I'm F'n around exploring my limits.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Good point, they are very light in the ***.

Originally Posted by laneskelton
I have driven a few G35s and those things will peel out for ever without the traction control on. The 911 is way different. In a G35 you can light up the rear wheels with a quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This is impossible in a 996 unless it's wet out. I am fast driver and drive my car on windy roads everyday in the Santa Cruz mountains and have never wished I had PSM.
Buy the car if you like it!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

That's a really good point. Front engine car, RWD, very lightweight backend. Hmmm....food for thought.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
duke4739
Rennlist Member

BUY THE CAR!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by laneskelton
The 911 is way different. In a G35 you can light up the rear wheels with a quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This is impossible in a 996 unless it's wet out.
Hmmm......I can break the tires loose in my 996 (and get the PSM/Traction control to engage if I have it "on") on a quick 1-2 shift. FWIW, my current rears tires are 285/18 Pirelli P-Zero's. I can do this in the dry and it is far from impossible. In fact for me, it is easily repeatable.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Do it. PSM is awesome, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Just be careful. It's useful, yes, but you can live without it. It has very high engagement points, anyway, at least for casual driving. I could see wanting it a lot in BC, but as others have said, if you change your mind, you can always just upgrade if you're getting a spectacular deal
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Have been looking for an 00-02, prefer 02 for engine torque and reliability and 02 year changes. Virtually have to bring from the US as it saves $10-$15k. Downside is harder to resell up here, and more risk/pain involved in cross border shopping.

An '03 deal locally has dropped into my lap. I can get it VERY cheap and it has as good a history as you can get, zero worries. Also very low mileage. Priced slightly higher than my original budget but it's a VERY good deal. I can get it significantly cheaper than I could bring any '02 up from the states for...and I prefer to buy locally. But since it's over budget I'd not want to have to put any more $ into it.

Problem is I really want aero and PSM. Aero I can live with the side skirts only...that's $1k, doable as a retrofit. Vancouver gets a lot of rain and PSM has been a mandatory for me. This particular car doesn't have PSM.

How important is PSM? Should I let it kill an amazing deal on a very low mileage '03? This will be a daily driver in a relatively rainy climate. Probably no tracking. I have a G35 and drive it 98% of the time without kicking it's PSM equivalent in, and could reduce that 2% with more careful driving.

I've not researched but I'm assuming PSM is NOT able to be added after the fact, I'd be astonished, but...haven't asked anyone yet.
Whenever I embark on a project like this, I like to write down my "must have" items and "nice to have" items. I also establish a budget and maybe how much I would be willing to deviate up or down based on absence/presence of certain items. During the process I keep referring to this paper to prevent impulsive decisions in the heat of negotiation.

Ask yourself this question: after a few months/years of owning this car and after the initial thrill of a new toy has subsided, will you feel the pangs of remorse?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For drivers who have "special" circumstances facing them (e.g., driving in the snow, driving in the rain, driving autocross events, etc.), a careful selection of tires that perform well in those circumstances will greatly aid car performance and, at the same time, keep the driver and his occupants safe.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hey Brock,

Buy it. Thinking about it some more, you should just buy the car and enjoy it. I drove almost an hour today in the pissing rain to take my car to North Van for a wheel alignment and I didn't have one issue with the traction. My GT3 can get a little scary in the wet, but you just need to develop a feel for it. I guess I'm figuring it out.

After you buy the car, I suggest you do a few autocross sessions to help learn your car. There are a ton of events going on around here so there is always an opportunity if you hook up with one of the local clubs. PM me and I'll send you a schedule of events for the year.

Cheers,
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I don't know the rest of the options on the car yet other than sports suspension and sport seats. Should be getting the rest soon.

I have 5 options that are high on my list.

- PSM (doesn't have)
- aero (doesn't have, I can add...how ugly are side skirts w/o an aero bumper?)

- 3 spoke steering wheel
- upgraded stereo (option 490) as in theory maybe it makes doing an aftermarket easier? (speakers already there?)
- heated seats

If it has none of the 3 I don't know about I think I may pass. If it has some of them, I have a decision to make. I guess I could retro all three of those for 2-3k...so...hmmm...

Did I mention I hate large purchases? I analyse them to death
Old 03-22-2007, 01:49 AM
M3killa
Banned

PSM sucks and only wimps need it.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 AM
M3killa
Banned

side skirts are not an aero. aeros have the full pack including the tsco or Mk2 wing. You are not an aero without, you do not have an aero by adding side skirts. i had a c4 with side skirt and gt fins, it looked good. it also had the girl psm standard. the car was a wimp and built for wimps. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Found an amazing deal...no PSM....so torn! Advice?